Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OZC Powerstream 520W
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:07 am 

So I just got my new powersupply. However, the cords come unsheathed and I'd like to sheath them. What's the best stuff for this, and where could I get some. Also, it has a weird green LED fan in the back, is there any way to change the color of this fan to red? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:47 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

well, you could pop open the PSU (don't touch any of the components if it's been plugged in prior to opening!) and replace the fan with a red one, it would have to be an 80 mm fan though. I added a blue one to my PSU a while back. i just bought an LED fan from circuit city and modded it into my PSU. (refer here for pics and explanations -----> PSU mod)
you don't have to paint it of course, but it adds a nice look.

as for the sleeving, you can find sleeving online, or you could heatshrink it if you wanted. I also favor cable wrap, such as UV wrap if you've got a UV light or fan inside. it gives the cables a nice glowing look.

if you have any questions, i'm sure I'll be able to answer them, as will anybody else here. welcome to the forums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:01 pm 

I found a good guide for cable sleeving, but it doesn't have any pictures and I'm really new to this whole modding thing. I was wondering if there is one with pictures to show me what I'm doing easier.

Also, I'm dying for some good guides for cable management, because I could definitely use the help. If you can point me to one of those, that'd be great too.

Post subject: OK, I swear I'm not stealing your material Grump...<3?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:14 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I love you Grump... <3....

Grump is prolly the most experienced modder i've ever seen. this is from another thread a litle below this one. take a look around the forums, you'll find a lot in the MRL and a lot of my ideas and inspiration come from the guys on this forum. I love these guys, and wouldnt give them up for anything. <3

Grump wrote:
xveganx, xveganx, xveganx,

I really hate to live up to my name, but jeez man, did you read the rules before you posted your first message -- 4 months ago? Did you happen to notice the size of your images before posting them? You have a 900X1200 and a 1200X900 that weigh in at a whopping 769 KB. I usually surf on a broadband connection, but the snow has left me with only my dialup and it took a couple of minutes to download your pictures.

Have a little consideration, willya?

Okay, that rant aside, I can see you tried to hide the wires and even wrap your flat IDE ribbons, but I guess you know it needs a little work. It's pretty difficult to get all the wires and cables in a system out of sight. They just don't build a case or give you enough wire length to do that. So, you have to plan a wire management system that makes it as unobtrusive and neat as possible.

You mentioned sleeving, but that's not an easy task for the novice. To do proper sleeving, you would have to remove and replace molexes and connectors, using special tools, or at the very least, special techniques. I've seen beautiful mods turn mediocre with a bad sleeve job alone.

An excellent way to give your wires and cables a neat and orderly look is to use split loom. It's inexpensive, easy to do and, with all the various sizes and colors, makes a bland interior look stylish and professionally done.

I can see you wanted to increase your airflow, as well as your neatness factor, by using rounded IDE cables. No doubt you experienced some difficulty with wrapping the HDD cables. Is that heat shrink? Notice how it kinked and that much of it didn't get covered? Well, you had the right idea.

Attention to the littlest details can make the job easier and look much better. If you can't afford to get the same style and color cables for all your drives, you can cover them all with split loom to make them look the same. The loom will also allow your cables to flow in smoother lines. I would suggest you invest in more silver braided IDE cables like the one on your optical drive. Get them long enough to route along the side of the drive cage and follow a single path to the connectors on the mobo. Measure for each cable so that you get the length that is best suited for the path you follow.

There are a lot of small wires -- fan connectors, front panel wires, etc. -- that all need to be planned out. Most of these are prob'ly long enough to tuck behind the edge of the motherboard, along the drive cage or the bottom of the case. You may have to try a couple different routings just to get the look and accessibility you need. Do keep in mind that these wires may have to be unplugged occasionally.

There are a few things that make wire management a little easier. Zip ties are great for grouping wires together and for attaching them to various points on your chassis to hold them in place and out of the way. You can also use them to snug the ends of your split loom so it doesn't slip and expose the ugly wires underneath. Like the split loom itself, zip ties come in a variety of colors, so you can mix and match for a very unique look.

Another item I have used with great success is that sticky, rubbery black stuff that auto glaziers use around your windshield. I don't know what it's called, but it comes in a coil with a silicone coated paper running the length of it. I pull off a little ball and stick it an out of the way place and press the wire into it. It stays put, but is easy to pull free without having to cut it loose like you would a zip tie.

There's also small wire clips and clamps in a variety of sizes you can get in the hardware section of almost any store. They have sticky pads with peel-off paper to make mounting them easy.

These are just a few things you can do to sweeten up the inside of your case. If you have a window mod and a few lights, it will make all the difference in the world if your wires and cables have that finished look. If you need links to where to buy any of the items I mentioned, or need additional suggestions, let me know. For now though, see about resizing those pics so we can all enjoy the progress of your wire management project.

Click any image to see a larger one.

My Best R'gards, Grump
The Mad Modder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:10 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Let me be quick on the sleeving. It'll involve taking off the connectors, putting on heatshrink (my prefered method), sliding on the sleeve, then another length of heatshrink, then reinstalling the connector correctly. IF you don't feel comfortable doing it this way, perhaps consider purchasing your PS from a place like frozenCPU. They're a tad overpriced, but they will sleeve the PS for you for a fee. (damn...they had an offer to do this for free, but it expired on the 3rd)

I like heatshrink more than any other method when it comes to wiring. Electrical tape falls off over time, and falls off quicker (and in a Goooey manner) once heat is involved. I rarely use electrical tape on anything other than under dashboards. Tie wraps are also used in a lot of places and are a good retention method. I just don't use them anymore for several reasons. They catch on things if you're running wire. Purely a gripe more than an obstacle. And without a tiewrap tool, I get them either too tight or too loose. Again, that's my use and maybe you can get them right. I also prefer removing heatshrink rather than cutting off the ties if I have to adjust or modify. The look of heatshrink is my main reason though, and prefer the look...eye of the beholder though, right?

The fan is something that I yanked on mine right off the bat. It's fairly straight forward actually. I opened the top, removed the fan's mounting hardware, and clipped the leads close to the OEM fan. Then I put in a normal 80mm fan (I like panaflos, but for red LED fans, take a peek at Antec's line) and soldered the new one to the old leads. Make sure you put a piece of Heatshrink on the joint that's the correct size. It's pretty small stuff that you may have no other use for in any other situation...so buy a very small quantity. I join the wires at a parallel, then twisting them together. This makes the joint slim and strong once solder is applied. Twisting them together is bunk, and should be avoided. Even if it holds, it makes sharp edges that can break through your insulation material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:13 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Oh ya...the 520PowerStream is really hard to find. Most are out of stock. The good prices I seen on these lately is ATAcom.com, directron, and eXcaliber; all running at around $135.

The 600W is about $200 and is easy to find compared to it's little brother. People found out that it's a great PS I guess :D

Post subject: That OCZ 520W PowerStream...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:36 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

...was rated a 10 in CPU magazine. That was several months ago, maybe back in May 2004. Anyway, I had to wait a few months until it became available - I think I got it from SVC.com. I have it installed in my current "printer-to-computer-deja-vu" project, and yes, it does have a green LED fan. Look at the picture below; the OCZ power supply is mounted inside the printer cavity, and you're looking directly at the rear fan:

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

that don't look too bad. I kinda like the green. I prefer tri-color for PSU fans though...

Post subject: Re: OZC Powerstream 520W
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:47 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

TrentHazzard wrote:
So I just got my new powersupply. However, the cords come unsheathed and I'd like to sheath them. What's the best stuff for this, and where could I get some. Also, it has a weird green LED fan in the back, is there any way to change the color of this fan to red? Thanks.

You can buy cable sheathing, nylon ties, Molex connectors, tubing, fans, etc. from these two parts distributors that I deal with all the time:
http://www.newark.com or http://digikey.com
Both charge $5.00 handling fee if your total order is less than $25.00 though.