Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CarbonFiber supplies and how-to's
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:14 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hey all, I had intended to write this as "what do you want, but can't find" it evolved to a specific need after writting. Let me get straight to the point.

I would love to have some info on how to work with carbon fiber. I've found these two sites, and that's it:
http://www.mci.i12.com/carbon/index.htm
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/carbon-f ... cle-parts/
The first one makes it look in depth, then the second makes it look simple. Anyway, it's still not totally informative to me.

Then, I would like to find the material suppliers. I've found many places that sell the cloth ($40 a yard on average. Please try to beat that and drop a link), but hardly anything on the resins, epoxies, and release agents. The first article links to the SP110 producer (found HERE) But little else. I see they have an office for North America in Magog QC Canada, but there has to be another retailer around here of another brand perhaps. Not that I need to walk up and buy it, but in the same country would be awesome.
--------------------------------------------
This sprouted from my desire for a reservoir that fit my theme. As you may or may not have seen, my PC is based on a GP motorcycle, and are typically loaded with carbon. Anyway, I've scoured the web for any type of Reservoir that would fit the theme, but found nothing but plexyglass bay reservoirs with LED mounts or the "typical" innovatek bongs. The WACC is an option, but a very expensive one for a simple piece of extruded tubing, and that they're only in the UK still.

So, I've made a couple from various metals and they just don't feel right. I want a simple carbon tank and I'll be happy. Along with this, some simple covers here and there or actual parts would totally be in the spirit.

I've found simple carbon weave plates that you can cut out, but they're flat. I had thought about cutting a few sheets and eboxy up a square box, but I could custom make many parts for the price they want for the material in these small pre-cut sheets.

The perk here is that I thought that I'd do a how to once I found the items so that any of us could do the same. And not in PC's only, but also in other aspects of our hobbies. Cars are even getting Carbon, but they're ripping you guys off for what they're asking. If I take the mystery out of the process, then you can make a $400 intake set for $50 in supplies. Jeez..I can get a full carbon body work for a bike for what they're asking for one flat civic hood :p Off topic...opps.

I'd also suggest that once this was done, I could do this for the modders here if you weren't comfortable with it. Let me do the work, you supply the mold! Hell, if this takes off, maybe they'll sale? Why not...with all the bay-reservoirs out there, it'd be a refreshing site to see something new.
-----------------------------------
Other items I've thought of were Burp-tanks or Radiator overflow cans. There's one cylinder type on ebay for NASCAR or something, but it's butchered from what I can see.

I've worked with Fiberglass, and that one article looks just like laying out glass. I have the tools, the time, and the patience...so help me out here please. This search is getting old and am now at a loss on to move forward with this or not. I'll update as this goes on BTW.

Oh, and if you can't find something that you think would be useful, post it in the Workshop! I know there has to be something an individual is looking for but can't find like I am. These things should be brought up! maybe we can start the trend for an item???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I don't mean to blatantly pimp my own site, but one of the top modders in the country is doing the inaugrual worklog in my forums at The Mad Modder Forums. Linear is building a carbon fiber case and would no doubt enjoy your interaction in the thread. He would be happy to share his skill and resources with you.

The forums are new and haven't been announced to the world yet, but we're hoping modders from all over will join us and share their modding experiences. Of course, we all spend time in other forums too, so it's not like we're taking away from this or any other forum. As you can see from my posts, I also enjoy sharing with you all here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:19 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm heading over there now Grump. (member 26!)

That's not spam though dude, you're pointing me in a direction that will answer my question...right? :D

I didn't know this was so hard to get good data on material, but I'm slowly starting to narrow down the material and consumables I'm going to use. One poor sap at one of the vendors has already responded to one of my inquiries. Musta been getting yelled at home or something, but boy was he at the shop at a late hour...But I've found WestSystems 105/205 epoxy resin and 2x2 .009" twill. The later I found at a robot material site, but am still attempting to source the Resin here in the states (lots of people working with CF in the UK, so they list their venors on that side of the pond).

I'm also trying to get the minimal equipment. You know, stuff I can just keep around and play with. How I'd love to have an autoclave, I don't think it's in my budget for the size of items I want to make :p But I need to go to Lowes during lunch tomarrow and pickup a little shop vac for vacuum bagging. The finish when vacuuming just looks better IMO.
----------------------------------------
I'm awaiting registration there, so I'll ask that Linear dude this question. But my concern is the edges of a box shape like what he ran into here:
http://www.mashie.org/casemods/pics/oenone_030.jpg
I'm wondering on the left over material on the corners that seems to bunch up. He only did one corner really, and I'm planning an open sided box that will have 4 corners. I can't just drape the cloth over a box-mould and expect it to conform. I'll see what he has to recommend...

Thanks again Grump!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:30 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Well, if anyone is following...I got my yard of cloth today. It got here way too quick!

What I'm trying to find is a mold. My plan has now come down to using the space in the stacker where the crossflow fan goes. I haven't turned that thing on, and is a waste of space (and money IMO). My idea is to find a semi-fat piece of channel that is smooth on the inside and mold the facing side with it just wide enough to cover the hole in the mobo tray. Then find a mounting material for the back...metal is what I think I'm going with.

Anyway, I'm heading to Lowes on Friday (my weekend) to browse the isles for a suitor. If anyone has some quick ideas for a channel, drop 'em on me so I'm not in there all day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:03 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Carbon Fiber is pretty easy to work with if you have ever worked with fiberglass mat.

A good trick: If you need thick layers, try sandwiching some regular fiberglass in the middle of some CF sheets.

Resin: Use aircraft grade if your budget allows, looks much better.

I use to work with carbon fiber building aircraft spinners. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:32 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

My main concern is finding a fitting mold right now. Pretty basic really right now. I think I'll run into problems when mounting the hardware though.

I've ordered 2 more 1/2" fittings from Danger Den for the in and out. I'm debating my filling method, but may attach a T-Line fitting so I can fill it with a squeeze bottle from the outside. I'll be also cutting a long narrow window/slit up the front for a plexy window with 1 or 2 LED's mounted in there so I can see the level. That's the idea anyway...

But I had been planning on just going thin with the CF as it's not really structural. But, the more I think about the fittings, I believe I'm goint ot have to at least back the side(s) they'll be mounting on. I have some honeycomb type plastic stuff from packing at work, so perhaps that'll work quite well. I'm now guessing that I can drill the holes for the fittings, and on the inside use a washer and a lot of epoxy to seal it up good. Pushing and pulling on these a few times will be done, so I need to make sure it's a bit tough.

I'm really leaning toward vacuum bagging as from what I see, the finish seems so much better. So my design has to fit a process that I can actually bag in pieces.

Anyway, I'm going to have to shoot from the hip here. If it doesn't work, throw it in the corner and try something else. I have a yard to work with, and can order more. Like I've stated, I've layed up glass for a while now (I crash motorcycles on a regular basis, and had a 'vette or two in my youger years). It seems just like the layup, so I feel a lot better. I can't believe this isn't done more widely knowing this. It's pretty stuff if you do it right.

I ordered my yard from RobotCombat. It looks just like I think it should. Even looks better than some of the stuff I've ordered from Carbonworks for bikes in the past (but nothing on OPPracing bodywork!). Oh, and that's the side-agenda here too. I've been patching my ups and offs with fiberglass mat, so maybe now I'll have the stuff on hand to fix it up proper.