Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Are you sick and tired of the normal green and red led lights?
Poll ended at Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:46 pm
Yes 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
No 36%  36%  [ 9 ]
i'm a dweeb and don't give a damn! 24%  24%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 25
 Post subject: sick of the general green and red lights?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:46 pm 

i am so sick of the default green and red led lights.. they are like white on rice.. they are on everything!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:13 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

I'm assuming that you're talking about the LED lights in fans and other PC parts?

If so, then I'd say no. Blue is the most common type of light in a fan, then red. then purple, and then green, or at least that's the way I see it.

BTW, all three of your threads should have been put into a single one, since they all deal with LED lights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:45 pm 

they are LED related, but they are infact 2 different products..

and yes, i am referring to the lights... and no, blue is not common here in the state of RHODE ISLAND - green is the main color, not blue :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:15 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Every stinkin' PC I've owned has had those fugly green LEDs on the front panel. I would love to swap 'em out for blue, or have the HD LED be blue, and power be red or something. Anything but green.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:55 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Blues been a nightmare really, but I just like blue better than anything else.

Everything here has blue LED's and it's like a Pink Floyd light show. You'd think an alien is landing when the lights are all out and the HDD wakes up or something. It doesn't matter how big or small they are, blues are just killer bright.

Lights piss me off in general, but if I had to pick the worst...it'd be Red.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

OvenMaster wrote:
Every stinkin' PC I've owned has had those fugly green LEDs on the front panel. I would love to swap 'em out for blue, or have the HD LED be blue, and power be red or something. Anything but green.

LED swaps are simple and very easy to do IF you take your time so you don't break anything :!: :!: :P :P
I collect LED's and swap out the ones in compukers because I cant stand bright lights of any color..Flashing Red and Blue more than any others :!: :!:
"Sorry Officer,,I shot your light bar cuz those lights cause me to go into convulsions,Just ask my Doctor" :twisted: :P :P :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Well, hell, if I can replace an integrated amp speaker protection relay, phono turntable motor control capacitors, and a preset memory power capacitor in a tuner, a couple of LEDs should be a piece of cake... if I can find a way to get 'em out of their holders! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

OvenMaster wrote:
Well, hell, if I can replace an integrated amp speaker protection relay, phono turntable motor control capacitors, and a preset memory power capacitor in a tuner, a couple of LEDs should be a piece of cake... if I can find a way to get 'em out of their holders! :D

A dentist pick and a hot air gun !! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or a propane tourch and a sledgehammer :?: :?: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:02 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

All of m y LEDs on my newest build are blue. They are pretty bright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:23 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I have 4 blue cold caths behind and under my desk, and 4 blue and 2 red caths inside my main rig and 2 blue inside my other rig.
so ya i love blue glow lol,my hole room glows blue i even replaced my roof lamp with blue leds! :lol:

But i can not stand really bright leds they just blind you and don't really give of any real glow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:29 pm 

OvenMaster wrote:
Every stinkin' PC I've owned has had those fugly green LEDs on the front panel...

i know right.. :lol: and it's not just pc's - in my house, green is like everywhere... stove clock, house phones, etc.. you name it :evil: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:12 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Ruffsta wrote:
OvenMaster wrote:
Every stinkin' PC I've owned has had those fugly green LEDs on the front panel...

i know right.. :lol: and it's not just pc's - in my house, green is like everywhere... stove clock, house phones, etc.. you name it :evil: :lol:

98% of all my computer lghts are now purple :shock: :shock:
Now working on changing the color of the rocker switches on my power centers from orange (Amber) to purple. :shock: :oops: :oops:
Amazing what can be done with a color film stock (any camera shop) and knowing what colors make what color when combined. :twisted: :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

tiredoldman wrote:
Amazing what can be done with a color film stock (any camera shop) and knowing what colors make what color when combined. :twisted: :P :P

I just had a thought... why not purchase white LEDs and use whatever materials that you can use to tape over the white led and change it to different colors? Or whatever you can use to change the color.

Anyone thought of that? Fairly simple and almost brainless, I should think.

With that thought, I'd say it's probably easy to do that... but how would one go about it, I've no clue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:21 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Just get a few of the multi-colored fans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

White LED's are so bright, they blast through simple colored transparencies. You can put a red plastic sheet over a white LED, and it's still a very bright pink. It's the nature of the light spectrum. White and blue are just very, very visible with the human eye. Green is neutral, isn't so shocking, yet is available to the eye when dim or bright just the same. That's why green is popular.

Colors are moody as much as anything else. Red is just too bold. It's not just bulls that see red...we do as well. We use orange in the forums for a reason. It's red, but not red. Look at your screen...you see orange and not so much the dark red text on the headlines. You want to ignore red, or the exact opposite and be alerted by it. Make the dark red a bright red, then your eyes aren't focused on the forum and are instead focused on the more neutral (yet noticable) orange.

Cops use...blue and red. Very bright, very alarming to our eyes.

So, to be different, use purple or orange...complimentary colors in a middle spectrum (orange and blue, yellow and purple, red and green). You can't, because to make purple or orange with an LED is un-natural. You'll need CCT's to pull that off, not some solid state device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:47 am 

Both my power and HDD LED are UV (purple). Tells me when the drives are active etc without being overly annoying. Changing them took my all of 20 minutes. check out http://www.performance-pcs.com Bare LEDs are located in the DIY section. I believe that the 5mm size is the standard in case LEDs.

You can build your own by using a twisted pair out of a Cat5 cable. I've modded cases where both switches and LEDs are done and I used a sigle CAT5 cable (4 twisted pair), That ways all wires are cut to length and contained, looks clean and professional. You can get the header pins (female) and the header connecter from the DIY / USB & Audio Header section (see link above). I went with a 2x5 header block and while I was inside my case re-did all my switch and LED header pins into the 2x5 block so I'd only have 1 to mess with not 1 block per wire or switch. Just make sure when you re-insert the header pin it does in the right position in the new block.

Moodding the LEDs and switches is fairly easy and you can get everything to look cleaner without all the excess wire in your case.

Need more info? PM me.