15 Watts rms

satellite speakers:
4 watts @ 8 ohms @ 8% THD @ 100Hz - 20KHz 2 channels
GREEN LED

subwoofer: 7 Watts @ 4 ohms @ 10% THD @ 30Hz - 100Hz
1 channel loaded

total peak power: 30 Watts

here's what i want to do:

i want to change the GREEN LED to a BLUE LED, but i need to know the size and the watts of the bulb, which is clearly NOT indicated anywhere on the box, manual or website .

The reason i want to change the LED color is because i hate having all green and red lights everywhere on everything, but more importantly i am modding my entire pc to be all lit up with BLUE LEDS.

also, is there a tool or something that can tell the size and perhaps the wattage on leds? i have a lot of LED MODDING i want to get done and don't know the LED specs to each.

thanks,
Ruffsta
---------------------------------------
Also in a Toshiba PCX2000 Cable Modem

i want to change the GREEN LED to a BLUE LED, but i need to know the size and the watts of the bulb, which is clearly NOT indicated anywhere on the box, manual or website... again, i don't know the size/wattage of the leads..

can anyone help?

thanks,
Ruffsta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:25 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

for purposes like simple power indicators, the LEDs are pretty much interchangeable. just find the matching size and swap a blue for the green. you need to match the polarity when replacing, typically there is a flat spot in the LED or one lead is longer than the other. the brightness may differ as some LEDs want slightly different voltages but it usually wont matter in something like the power indicator LEDs you are mentioning. I believe they are around 3 volts at about 20 milliWatts, give or take a few.

worse case, youll burn out a LED if the voltages are way off (unlikely for what youre doing). then you need to put a resister in series with it.

if you want to be super careful, pull the old LED and see what the voltage feeding it is with a multimeter, then check the voltage requirements for the new LED you want to put in. adjust downward with a resister if needed.

see here for some info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:52 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Blue LED's seem to be mostly 5v units on the local shelves. They're really bright, but I'm not sure they'll forward bias in a 3v circuit. Those might just be the big ones though.

Tired Old Man is an LED nut...I'll see if I can point this direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:13 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Chumly wrote:
Blue LED's seem to be mostly 5v units on the local shelves. They're really bright, but I'm not sure they'll forward bias in a 3v circuit. Those might just be the big ones though.

Tired Old Man is an LED nut...I'll see if I can point this direction.

GEE THANKS :roll: :roll:
Yes he can run a 5V unit,,it just wont be as bright on the 3v, which is a blessing,
as most of the 5v are VERY BRIGHT :!: :!:
And if you are in the dark room with no lights,,trust me,,you will come to hate those brigt blue lights !!
I think you might want to reconsider the color choice alittle bit more , for darkened rooms,,red will do less to night vision then green or blue,,for a lit room, any color will do,,but Green and Blue is what they call a "Cold" colors , while Amber(Yellow) and Red are "Warmer"and Purple is also Cold color , sorry, forgot that one :roll: :roll: :roll:
:? :? :P :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 pm 

i don't know anything about leds, watts or volts... i just know how to solder and that i want to change green leds to blue ones..

so i appreciate all helpful knowledge on leds.. thanks everyone in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:24 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Ruffsta wrote:
i don't know anything about leds, watts or volts... i just know how to solder and that i want to change green leds to blue ones..

so i appreciate all helpful knowledge on leds.. thanks everyone in advance.

Take the ones out VERY CAREFULLY from the speakers and go down to Radio Shack or other electronics shop,,,even a computer shop,,ask them for 3V LED's,,,go home and CAFEFULLY put those in where you took others out... 8) 8) 8) :D :wink:

HINT: Take the speaker with the power supply with you,,helps them figure out what type you need :oops: :oops: :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:27 pm 

they are LED related, but they are infact 2 different products.. i wanted help with each product individually.

and no, i didn't appreciate them being put into one topic! so much for freedom of speech and getting help on specific things :(

with that said...

i know carefully :lol: i went to radio shack, ace hardware and benny's - and none of them had the sizes i wanted :( and i don't know what to ask for sadly. wanted to get a free sample from ledlights.com or the other place, but i can't answer their questions :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:48 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Ahh,,okay,,I see your problem with that then.. :oops: :oops:
My mistake. :shock: :oops:
Back to the powersupply unit for the speakers,,
What does it say for OUTPUT to the speakers :?: :?:
Most are 9volts,,but some are higher, and those dont look "El Cheapo" so dont think they use less than 9v...
which PROBABLY means the LED's are 5V..Hard to find 7V and never seen any between 7V and 12V, I'm NOT saying they don't make them,,just I never seen any in between. And it's very rare to find 7V anymore.
IF that dont help..I really don't know what else to suggest :oops: :(

A HINT; To find out the SIZE of the bulb , I use a drill bit size guide that also gives Metric and standard size listings,NOT volts,,but SIZE. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:41 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ruffsta wrote:
and no, i didn't appreciate them being put into one topic! so much for freedom of speech and getting help on specific things :(
There's no constitution here, just simple rules. Might want to give that a shot again right off the bat. This isn't a one man forum made for just any one person. It's been tried and tested, but successful and not, and I believe we have a formula that works quite well.

If you want help how to change LED's, it's the same. Otherwise any member can post 18 subjects on different parts when the whole thing is the same process for all of them.

You're not going to go through the drive-through ordering each individual item are you? Do it all in one trip.

You want specific, you got it in one shot. Doesn't matter if it's a modem or the space shuttle. If you want to change out an LED, you just do it with the info you just got in one take. If you're new to forums, you can always get help in on thread versus looking at it per-post. You get the attention, we all follow the thread, and as parts are solved and you move on to the next part seamlessly. And in this case, you may be able to solve it all and not need to ask again for the next part you work on.

If there's any further misunderstanding with this here or in the future, you're always free to discuss it via PM with any moderator. They're all clearly listed in each section's titles. Posting it publicly comes off completely differently.
---------------------------------------------------
Now as a member:

If you know how to solder, I'm not sure what the complication is. I mean, a 30W amp and speaker size has nothing to do with the LED you want to change. A 3v LED is a 3v LED. Carefully means other things too. They're probably on a motherboard, so that doesn't mean just heat the crap out of it with any old soldering gun. Depending on what you find inside and how they're attached, you might need a specific setting to safely get the part out and the new one in. You won't want to crank up the big Home Depot hobbyist gun or a butane unit if you have an IC close.

If you post a pic of what you find, we can match it up. You're going to have to open it up at some point, so tell us what you see. LED's are very common. The round ones come in 2 very common sizes and share very common natures. Then you may find some rectangular ones with are also quite common. The only freaks that get confusing are the IC type you might see flat-mounted on a motherboard.

I can't tell anything about an LED from seeing a picture of the product closed up. I can just tell you what's typical in LED's and what you might find. If you want a bunch of "mights", I can do that all day.