Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Slowing an Athlon64
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:15 pm 

Athlon64 3800+; Asus A8nE; WinXpProSr2

Strange as this may sound, I need to slow down my CPU. I am a programmer using an old hardware emulator communicating with its IDE over the parallel port. The emulator cannot keep up with the rate that the port is transferring data. (The port is on the PCI bus, rather than the ISA bus, and I imagine that is part of the problem.) I've tried some of the software programs that slow down games, but they work in bursts, and so once port accesses begin, they tend to continue at full speed even though the IDE is crawling.

I am thinking that disabling the L1 and L2 caches might help, but I have no idea how. Any tips, ideas, or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Howard Delman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:15 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

IF you want to under clock your cpu you can just lower down the multiplier but im not sure this will accomplish what you are trying to do,then again i really don't understand anything about serial or parallel ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:30 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I would think that a combination of lowering the CPU frequency by the method described above, and lowering the front side bus frequency would be a good bet. The CPU communicates with the northbridge and southbridge over the FSB, so lowering the frequency should cut the speed or bandwidth available, and might work to slow down the rest of your system to where you want to be. Whatever you do, be careful that you don't fry your machine. I'd suggest small incremental changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:48 am 

Thanks to you both for your ideas. I think slowing both the CPU and the FSB would really help to stretch out the port accesses, but I have no idea how to do either. Can you provide more details?

When I look in the BIOS (ver. 1005) under Advanced|CPUConfiguration|CPUSpeed, I see the CPU Speed is 2400 MHz, but it is greyed out and unchangable.

Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:40 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

try updating the bios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:56 am 

Do newer versions of the BIOS offer the ability to slow the CPU & FSB clocks? My system is stable, so I wouldn't want to update the BIOS just because a new version exists.

Howard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:28 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]

Look for a multiplier entry (should look like x7 or something). If you don't have one of those, they only way to lower clocks would be to lower the front side bus, or FSB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:45 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Hmm. Interesting dilema. Never tried to slow a PC before. Do you have the motherboard manual? What are the exact numbers of the motherboard and bios? Their info should be available online...depending on how old they are, and would detail how to OC, and thereby how to UC your chipset.
Sounds like disabling all the caches in the bios would be a good idea too.
You might even try pulling out all but the minimalist amount of RAM your system can get by on too. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:50 pm 

I dunno if it would work on a desktop, but I use a program called Notebook Hardware Control to slow my Athlon 64 laptop to 800MHZ so I can play old games on it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:36 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Ive used systool to over and underclock some of my sytems. it can speed up and slow down the FSB/PCI/PCIe/AGP buses. worth a shot. it supports AMD64 but Ive never used it on one. you may need to know your clock chip number if your mobo isnt specifically listed. you can get the number off the clock chip on the mobo or possibly find out what it is by googling your mobo.

the main advantage would be slowing down the PCI bus that your LPT card is riding on as well as the FSB etc. usually the FSB/PCI frequencies are related but it really depends on the mobo. other FSB changing programs would probably do the same but I mention systool as I use it and know it works on my hardware (Intel stuff).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:05 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

I thought I'd figure out how to divide by zero before I saw someone wanting to slow down a computer. :lol: