Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP Netserver Rebuild
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:58 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

As I mentioned in another thread I have started a project that I have had on the back burner for a little over 6 years now. I have been dragging this old HP Net server around with me for a long time and I am finally starting to do something with it. I know my soldering can use a lot of improvement, and I need to find a good way to clean up my flux but any opinions are welcome.

I hope to cut out these to 92mm fans to fit in 120's to keep it quieter.

I think I will cut the back out of the original power supply and use it to fill the existing hole and then mount the new PS inside it. Making the new slide rails might be a bit tricky. I have no real idea yet how I am going to mount the new plate to cover the back of the motherboard but I am very open to ideas. The goal of this will be to make a file server/HTPC that is as quiet as possible with a huge amount of storage. I couldn't decide on a color so I think I will get it repainted with the same boring off white color and keep the outward appearance as original as possible. It will look like the original Dual 486, but by the time I finish it is might be holding dual Quad Cores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:51 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Looks like you have a good project going there! Try to keep all of your updates to this thread in the future. We try not to have a lot of multiple threads going on.