Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LCD pinouts
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:45 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'm rebuilding an old HP Netserver 4D/66 LM and I want to reuse as much of the original front panel as possible. Part of that panel is a very small LCD sharp LM16X21A. I found a pinout guide, but it neglects to mention what I consider to be an important part. With the original setup there are 2 wires separate from the data ribbon that are labeled "LCD +5V". In the only guides that I can find there is no mention of those two wires and there is power going into one of the old data ribbon ports. In the picture of the LCD for sale with the harness it looks like there are wires running to those two solder points but the solder points from the data ribbon also look full. I am scared to hook anything up without knowing which of the two or both should have power. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

On a side note for the project, I think I can use the original power and reset buttons, the power and HD LED's, and the system speaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:36 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Well, I feel like an idiot but I think I have my answer. Now that I have actually read the guide that I already linked in the first post instead of just scanning it and looking at the pictures, it tells me that the extra power and ground are for the back light. Which by my understanding means that they should both need power right???
I'm heading to PEI for the weekend but when I get back Sunday I will put up some pics for my own incentive or whoever might be curious. I have had this case sitting around for 6 years and at least that many moves swearing that I would do something with it. Maybe this will keep me working on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Yeah, you need to have the back light powered up.

When all else fails, follow/read directions :)