Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking for front panel switches and such.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:17 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

So, I have a new case that I'm in the process of finishing up the design-work...mostly because, well, I know that no manufacturer is ever going to comply with what I need.

Well, I'm at the point where I need to start finding prices for non-structural components, specifically, I need the fiddly little switches and such for the front of the case, and ideally, a real USB/Audio header (not a 3.5 bay mounted one, one that mounts directly on the case itself).

Where can a person find those? Just about any place besides Fry's Electronics will work (Kentucky is a long way from any of them :( ).

What I would like, specifically, is a spring-loaded on-off switch, and a header for either 2 or 4 USB ports and headphone and microphone 1/8" phono ports.

I imagine I could possibly get the switches at Radio Shack, but the USB ports? Short of cutting them out of something else, I've got no idea...

Oh, and cutting them out of something else is an awful idea for me, since I actually don't have anything to cut them out of at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:29 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Make them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:34 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Well...That's in theory an option...I was hoping to purchase one, and keep my "making things" mostly to the structural elements of this case.

It's what I'll do if no one knows of any supplier of these kinds of parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:42 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Google is your friend. I spent 5 minutes looking. Two links deep I found this:

http://www.frontx.com/

It is a start. If the bay mounting is not an option (like you are going to use all of your 5.25 bays anyway) then you could probably cannibalize the unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:45 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/ ... fp32&area=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:47 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

You are mostly SOL for an OTS solution. You will likely have to mod a bay-mount device.

I have front mounted jacks that I need to get working with my X-Fi card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:05 am 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Well, here's some of my case's philosophies:

I only need 1 (ONE) optical drive. I don't need yards of vertical space to waste away. As an extension of that, I don't want to use a 5.25" bay if I don't have to, as I don't really see that as the cleanest solution.

I'd prefer that my USB/audio ports blend smoothly into the aesthetic I have planned, so, in order to use the 3.5" solutions, I'm looking at taking something apart, painting it copper (a case particular), or having it loom large in the front of my case, breaking aesthetic.

Looking at the Silverstone products on Newegg, though, it might be feasible to separate the ports from the 3.5" bay adapter, so that might be the best solution, if i can't find a stand-alone part.

Post subject: re: switches
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:40 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm not clear on if you willing to alter case to mount or just want some off the shelf PC wiring rig? :?

All the case mod sites have kits and acc.s. coolerguys, xoxide, to many to list, gotta dig a little deeper on the std. pc supplier sites to find the small stuff.

For outright switches, any electronics supplier, McMaster, Digikey, grainer even, have a million swithes of all sizes types, most will function for PC use. Trick is to adapt the connections. But they'll have all the bells and goodies for switch styles, more they you can look at :shock: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:48 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Quote:
a real USB/Audio header (not a 3.5 bay mounted one, one that mounts directly on the case itself)

Your best bet would find a cheapie case that has the prewired header and gut it from the case. Cheapie would be like a $29 or less case.

For the switches you need to decide what you actually want by switch definition. For example the power and reset buttons are just momentary ON buttons. A togle switch would be an OFF / MOM switch where MOM is a closed position. I buy my stuff like that fromn Allied Electronics www.alliedelec.com but the stuff can be had from any of the mentioned places.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:16 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

Okay, I think this pretty much answers my question...frontx actually had some good parts listed a little deeper on their website than I had looked at first, and I think I pretty much have figured out the switches...so, problem solved!

That said...even though frontx's internal cables are what I would like, they're a little on the expensive side, so I might just need to grin and bear having to take apart a 3.5" Silverstone (or it's ilk) bay for what I want, since I know that...for my money, it's just a better deal, even if I do have to do some cutting.

I'll post more on this project once it's out of the design phase, which is, hopefully, within the month.