Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: UV Lighting Question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:49 pm 

I was going to get these PCI slot protectors http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 512&depa=0 to help lighten up my case, but it says that I need UV light to get it to light up. How exactly does UV lighting work? Are they sold in bulbs, and if so, where in my case would I put them? Also isn't UV light dangerous to people?

This is the case I bought http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 009&depa=0

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:42 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

those PCI covers dont light up on their own, theyre blacklight (UV) reactive, so u have to put a UV light in the case to give the effect that they r lighting up.

the easiest way to do this is with a cold cathode tube, u can pick 1 up on newegg HERE. or look around and u can find others cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:46 am 

The cold cathodes are usually attached using double sided tape or velcro. I prefer velcro as it's easier to take off when you change your mind on placement.

UV are only unsafe if you are exposed to it directly or reflected for a long period of time. The glow of uv products isn't dangerous as the light given off is already on a lower spectrum compared to UV.

Due to the reasons above, it's better to attach the tubes at the top, bottom, or side rims where it's covered by the panel when it's closed. As long as you can't see it directly when turned on, you're fine.