Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Jumper switch
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:46 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I have an old computer that I dual boot linux on it. I was wondering if I can build a switch that toggles which Jumper is master on a two IDE hard drives. I was thinking that ih ave two wires to each drive that when switched completes the current through only one drive because on them if you don't have a jumper the drive is a slave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:03 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

First, I had an older but great machine with a pair of 80 GB drives on it I used as a dual boot machine. I had Windows 2000 Pro on one Drive and Suse Linux 9.3 on the other drive. I installed Windows 2000 then installed Suse Linux and let the Grub Boot Loader in Linux come up on boot and offer booting into Windows or Linux. That worked just fine using the Linux boot loader at startup. You can't configure like that?

Next, yes a switch could be configured to swap the master / slave jumper setting but there is a much bigger problem which is why it won't work. Your PATA cable has the master at the end of the cable and the slave at cable midpoint. The IDE port is configured to see things that way. The Master is always at the end of the flat ribbon cable and the Slave is at midpoint. Therefore if you were to switch the drive locations by simulating changing jumper positions using a switch it wouldn't work. Can a switch be configured to replace the jumpers? Yes! Will it work for what you want to do? Nope, I doubt it.

<EDIT>

I may be wrong on this, as I found something:

Quote:
The IDE interface requires only one cable. All pins straight from 1 to 1, 2 to 2 and so on. The drives can be connected in any order. Only remember that one should be jumpered as Master and the other as Slave. If only one drive is used, jumper it as Single (if such a mode exists, or most common Master else).

http://pinouts.ru/DiskCables/IDE_pinout.shtml

Now if that is true as I read it than a master could be placed anywhere on the cable and likewise the slave.

Assuming I am wrong then you could do as you mention. Each drive would have 4 wires so either the master or slave positions could be made on each drive.

</EDIT>

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:32 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

yeah ive had drive configurations both ways with ide cables. It only jumpers that that determine wheter a drive is slave or master. you may be thinking of cable select.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:45 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

yes, jumpers override CS.

you could do it. but you cant change boot order in the bios? only the master can be the boot drive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:06 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

CharBroiled wrote:
yes, jumpers override CS.

you could do it. but you cant change boot order in the bios? only the master can be the boot drive?

Now that is a problem.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:43 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

jumpers do change the boot order. if you change the jumpers by allowing a current to go through or not then it will determine the boot order for that ide channel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:53 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

pellier wrote:
jumpers do change the boot order. if you change the jumpers by allowing a current to go through or not then it will determine the boot order for that ide channel

How? The only thing the jumpers do is determine Master or Slave on an IDE cable. When you set the boot order in the BIOS you point to a specific drive and that is that. Once you set the BIOS to boot from a specific drive that is where the BIOS is going to look to have the OS boot from. The BIOS is pointed to a specific drive hardware wise.

The jumpers do not conduct any current to speak of, the work with internal pullup resistors and set specific pins of the main 40 pin connoctor to a logic high or logic low so the controller can read if the drive is a Master or Slave. The idea is logic 1 or logic 0 and the current is zilch unless you care about micro Amps.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:10 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I didn;'t mean boot order liek that . i mean on the cable and by current i mean tha tif the pins are connected somehow then they are like a regular jumper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:43 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

I think the answer as to the original question is that yes, a switch could easily be added to swap the jumpers as to Master & Slave. However, there would be problems as to what the BIOS points to as the boot drive.

I did at one time have a half assed dual boot set up for a Vista Beta and Windows XP (using two drives) not loading using a boot loader. Each time I booted I had to F2 to get into the BIOS and choose which drive to boot from.

The best configuration for the original post would likely be to have Windows installed then install Linux and use the Grub boot loader in Linux to offer the boot options on startup.

Just My Take
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:42 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

If you have two hdds you can always raid o them and then use grub boot loader.