Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: making speakers
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:05 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I'm starting to look at making my own speakers. Nothing fancy, just something similar to a good desktop 2.1 system. I'm wanting to do this to mainly get experience in designing circuits, and to also maybe save some money.

About how much would it cost to build something comparable to the logitech Z-2300 and/or what could I expect to be able to build for about $100?

Could anyone give me some pointers on what I should look at? I'm an EE major, and have learned about op-amps and such, but I would need to go back and review that stuff before beginning. Also, how do they measure the Wattage of the system, what limits it?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:04 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I strongly urge you to look here:
http://www.partsexpress.com/speaker-building.cfm
There's bound to be something within your budget... but don't expect really great sound for $100. In speakers, you do get what you pay for.

Speaker design is a very complex science as well as art.

What limits the power input mainly is the size and impedance of the voice coils, and the design of the crossover. Small voice coils handle a lot less power than large ones, primarily due to poor heat dissipation. If you want, you can even make a basic crossover with just one sandbar resistor and one electrolytic capacitor per speaker to save money. It won't be as precise as a more complex one, but you have to keep your budget in mind and think of tradeoffs.

I've been involved with home stereo equipment for over thirty years, and this site is very highly spoken of in the audio forums I haunt. Good luck! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:03 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Thanks for the link. I'm using cheap desktop speakers, so I think I'll get a big boost with a $100 system.

Do you know of any guides or tutorial type things that would help get me started (I basically know nothing about speaker design).

Thanks.