Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: cutting out the fan vents
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:17 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

well ok, i got me an aspire dreamer case, kick ass indeed exept for the air vents for it, imma maxing out the fan base but i was wondering what would be the best way to removing them without the help of a dremmel tool (which would be best) i will be putting some cooler looking fan grills in place id like alot more flow than id get now...

i also heard it lowers the noise being produced by the fans (even tho that isnt my main consern but it allways nice)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:52 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

How thick/thin is the case metal at the I/O panel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:05 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

the newegg thing said 0.8mm SECC (or somthing) steel it does have a bit of strenth to it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:12 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

The only other way becides a dremel is to drill a whole and jig-saw it, nut that is really riskay. Can i ask why you dont wanna use a dremel. How about rotazip. How bout a nagle grinder. More q&a coming up as jip would say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:42 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

not that i dont want to use one as more of i dont have one and it is kinda pointless to spend money for one if all i can see it getting used for is 1 thing,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:01 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Simpson5774 wrote:
not that i dont want to use one as more of i dont have one and it is kinda pointless to spend money for one if all i can see it getting used for is 1 thing,

Trust me, if you buy a dremel, you will find so many more things to use it for around the house. Ohh yeah and if you buy one DONT BUY A CORDLESS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

gamerfreak wrote:
Simpson5774 wrote:

Trust me, if you buy a dremel, you will find so many more things to use it for around the house. Ohh yeah and if you buy one DONT BUY A CORDLESS

i know this isnt the only thing id want one for, but right now i cant get one,

i dont need this to have all the fit and finish it can even be jagged kinda, just kinda like it to work,

what i was thinking of doing, was taking a drill and drill out the metal around the outer edge of holes, and using a screwdriver and bending it out, ill find somthing to make it a little smother but wont be 'perfect' well i hope that goes well tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:19 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ok, you may not like this, but it'll get you buy...if you have a drill.

You can use a 3/8" drill bit and punch a few holes around within the are you plan to get rid of. Eventually, you'll sloppily create a large enough hole to get a drum sander type bit in there.

What I'm trying to discribe is just a cheap drum-sanding bit that you put sandpaper cylinders on. Here's a quick discription. Dremels come with them, but you can get away by using a cordless drill. Have a fresh battery on hand as you'll run out of juice before you're done perhaps.

You'll basically be doing the same thing as using a dremel, just not as effeciently. The drill is pretty low speed and will take a while...but you'll get there in time.

Since you don't really care about being sloppy while you're gouging out the access that's leaving the case anyway, then it will make it go by faster. Once you get close to the line you want to leave behind, start being carefull. Finish with a finer grit drum, then you can even go around with it in your hand and chamfer the edges so you won't cut yourself.

Besides that, the only thing that comes to mind is buying hand nibblers...which sucks worse than the drill idea if the nibblers suck (90% I locate localy do suck. such torture these things...).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:07 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

i was thinking of hand nibblers, but i figured it was thick steel and would be a pain in the ass. THey do work well with aluminum though. Aboout the drum sander, get a puece of dowl that will fit in your drill and glue low grit sandpaper to it. Fine sand paper will do nothing.

Post subject: Re: cutting out the fan vents
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:07 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Simpson5774 wrote:
well ok, i got me an aspire dreamer case, kick ass indeed exept for the air vents for it, imma maxing out the fan base but i was wondering what would be the best way to removing them without the help of a dremmel tool (which would be best) i will be putting some cooler looking fan grills in place id like alot more flow than id get now...

i also heard it lowers the noise being produced by the fans (even tho that isnt my main consern but it allways nice)

I think you can use something like this

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=product ... 75-71-120L

With a drill. They are for wood and brick, but if its just one hole it should work on thin metal. Make sure you get the right size.

At least I think thats what you are asking right?

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:23 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i used wire clippers, the metal ones, but bad idea, because it messes up ur clippers.

blowtorch is nice, if u have one and know how to use it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:17 pm 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

Aviation snips, they come in right, left and straight cut types. They will cut it easier than wire clippers and are inexpensive.