It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wiring in a "panic button"
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:07 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Or, switch in this case.

Hello all!

I want to wire in a small micro switch and mount it on my case that would instantly shut-down my rig in a required situation. Nothing weird here, I just play Hellgate:London mostly in hardcore-elite mode which means death is permanent. I know this is not great for the computer to do such a thing, but it is a risk I am willing to take. It would not utilized very much.

Anyway, I have a couple ideas how to do it, but I want to be right the first time. I would like ideas of the best way to go about this task, where to tap into, etc.

Much appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:44 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

why not just hit Reset? it would accomplish the same thing, instant game and OS stop. if its not in a good place just extend it to a convenient place, even the desktop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

That's just it, it isn't in a terribly convenient place. An Antec 900 case that sits on top of my desk. that reset button is pretty hard to access in a panic situation. I guess I could just relocate the wiring for that switch to the upper plastic part, where the big top fan is.

My main idea is to have it wired in the PSU wiring. Effectively making my toggle switch like the on/off switch on the back of the PSU. it has to be on for any power to be able to be sent. I just can't quickly hit that switch on the PSU or the case's reset switch.

I have the breakdown of what wire is what in the 24-pin molex plug, but not quite sure if there is a single wire in there that makes the magic happen where I can just wire my switch in-line with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:47 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Maybe if you put a switch in the +5V "Power Good" line? Or is that only used for starting the PC? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:45 am 
Willamette
Willamette

i have a crazy idea! dont be THIS SEREOUS about a game..... if your really going to mod your case because your afraid of loosin ga few pixles then be my guest... just lighten up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:59 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

mark_b_smith_II wrote:
That's just it, it isn't in a terribly convenient place. An Antec 900 case that sits on top of my desk. that reset button is pretty hard to access in a panic situation. I guess I could just relocate the wiring for that switch to the upper plastic part, where the big top fan is.

My main idea is to have it wired in the PSU wiring. Effectively making my toggle switch like the on/off switch on the back of the PSU. it has to be on for any power to be able to be sent. I just can't quickly hit that switch on the PSU or the case's reset switch.

I have the breakdown of what wire is what in the 24-pin molex plug, but not quite sure if there is a single wire in there that makes the magic happen where I can just wire my switch in-line with that.

Don't know where you are going with all this but can tell you how to make it happen. Here is a 24 pin motherboard connector:

Note the Green wire, there is only one green wire on either a 20 pin or 24 pin motherboard main PSU connector. That is the line you want, called the PS_ON line. When the system starts that line is held at a logic High (using 5 Volt SB power) by an internal pullup resistor in the PSU. When you press the front panel Start button that line is pulled low (common) and the PSU starts. As long as that line is low the system (PSU) will run. That assumes all voltages are within their rated tolerance. Removing that logic low will instantly (as in right now) shut down the PSU.

Therefore placing a NC (Normally Closed) push button in the path of the green wire will cause immediate shutdown when the button is pressed. Breaking the logic low will allow that line to instantly go high as a result of the PSU pullup resistor and you get a very hard shutdown.

Keep in mind when this happens it is like yanking the plug on a running computer. You stand a real good chance of data corruption and screwing your OS.

NOTE: I strongly agree with CharBroiled on this in that doing this instantly is not the way to go. Placing an external NO (Normally Open) button in parallel with your Reset pins on the motherboard would be much wiser. How I told you this could be done will work, that does not mean it is a real bright move.

Ron

Last edited by Reloadron on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:06 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

OvenMaster wrote:
Maybe if you put a switch in the +5V "Power Good" line? Or is that only used for starting the PC? :?:

@ OvenMaster

If you want a reasonable explenation of the PWR_ON and PWR_OK this provides some images as to what is going on:

http://www.bearblain.com/the_psu_page_1.htm

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:14 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Along the lines of what Charbroiled and Reloadron already said...

Uplug the case reset switch and relocate it. If you can get an old beat-up case, just pull off the reset switch, add some wire length, mount it on a block of wood, apply some stick-on rubber feet, and put it on your desk.

Or go to Radio Shack and get a momentary switch and some wire. You can add a rocker switch to disable the reset button when you don't want to use it. If RatShack doesn't have pin connectors, dig up an old component (fan or broken powersupply if you have one) and chop off the appropriate connector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:25 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Edward6287 wrote:
Uplug the case reset switch and relocate it. If you can get an old beat-up case, just pull off the reset switch, add some wire length, mount it on a block of wood, apply some stick-on rubber feet, and put it on your desk.

Or go to Radio Shack and get a momentary switch and some wire. You can add a rocker switch to disable the reset button when you don't want to use it. If RatShack doesn't have pin connectors, dig up an old component (fan or broken powersupply if you have one) and chop off the appropriate connector.

There is no need to disable the reset switch/button on the case. The existing RST button is a normally open push button switch. Pressing the switch causes closure (momentarily for the duration the button is held). Just place another normally open momentary push button switch in parallel with the existing RST switch. This is easily done by tying into the existing wires on the motherboard header for RST.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:39 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Reloadron wrote:
Edward6287 wrote:

There is no need to disable the reset switch/button on the case. The existing RST button is a normally open push button switch. Pressing the switch causes closure (momentarily for the duration the button is held). Just place another normally open momentary push button switch in parallel with the existing RST switch. This is easily done by tying into the existing wires on the motherboard header for RST.

Ron

I was actually thinking about disabling the remote reset switch with a rocker so it doesn't get hit accidentally. The case switches are usually recessed to reduce the chances of accidental reset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:51 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Reloadron wrote:
OvenMaster wrote:

@ OvenMaster

If you want a reasonable explenation of the PWR_ON and PWR_OK this provides some images as to what is going on:

http://www.bearblain.com/the_psu_page_1.htm

Ron

Thanks, Ron. I totally forgot about the difference between the two. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:24 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

@ Edward6287 no problem at all. Me thinks on his case you about need something to poke the sucker. Good point on accidental reset.

@ Oven Master you are quite welcome. I made those charts in the link during my fanatical PSU days.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:56 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Excellent, thank you all for the great input. I know killing the power cold is not the way to go, one of the ideas with the reset switch is what I had not thought of and why I wanted to ask for more ideas. Very appreciated! :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jacob938 wrote:
i have a crazy idea! dont be THIS SEREOUS about a game..... if your really going to mod your case because your afraid of loosin ga few pixles then be my guest... just lighten up

This post was unnecessary trolling. I don't need to be told to lighten up in poor English, I want to do this because I like to do things like this.

I know, don't feed the trolls, but sometimes they just get under my skin.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again to the actual help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:07 pm 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

mark_b_smith_II wrote:
Excellent, thank you all for the great input. I know killing the power cold is not the way to go, one of the ideas with the reset switch is what I had not thought of and why I wanted to ask for more ideas. Very appreciated! :D

jacob938 wrote:

This post was unnecessary trolling. I don't need to be told to lighten up in poor English, I want to do this because I like to do things like this.

I know, don't feed the trolls, but sometimes they just get under my skin.

Thanks again to the actual help!

OK we will see if we can't have Jacob938 taken out in the morning and shot at sunrise.

Seriously, I doubt he was trolling. More like just voicing an opinion. I wouldn't worry about it. Just take the good advice for what it was worth.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:55 am 
Willamette
Willamette

not trolling just stating an opinion, and dont accuse someone of trolling if you dont look at there other posts.

case pic

off of seeing the front... it looks like you could use the bottom plate where it says antec as a button so it still looks good and its functional

Last edited by jacob938 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:47 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

What exactly is "hardcore-elite mode?" Is it something to do with the game or some kind of name you made up for overclocking the pants off your hardware?

Also, someone mentioned putting a rocker switch in before the momentary reset switch that you're tying in so you don't accidentally reset by accident. A good idea would be to use one of those military-style switches with the red flip covers. =)

And... jacob. epic fail! It took me a little bit of time to figure out why the tables were broken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:06 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

[url=http://www.website_url.com] Link Description Text [/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:38 am 
Willamette
Willamette

OOOOOH POOP! after i made the linky smaller i had some internet problems! damit probably didnt hit submit before it went down XD ill fix now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:47 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
clap on, clap off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:11 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Thanks for the help guys, I figured out what I want to do.

Jacob, no harm meant, it's just that in the world of gaming forums, that first reply is considered trolling, flame-baiting, etc. When someone askes for help to accomplish something, and someone basically says "hey that's dumb, just relax.." it's considered trolling. It is rampant in gaming forums.

But anyway, point taken, thank you. I just get so deep into the gaming thing, I forget how other forums operate :oops: