Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I looking for grills, filters mesh screen - something
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:38 pm 

I want to turn my 3.5 drive opening into an air intake opening. I'm looking for some kind of grill or replacement bezel with some sort of filter arrangement.

Has anyone seen anything that I could use. I have had a lot of luck searching, i'm not sure what it'd be called.

I have two limitations, 1. money 2. tools to make from scrap.

It seems like someone oughta make some like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:24 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

A few options:

Trim a dryer sheet to fit...not only does it filter, it gives your CPU a lemony fresh scent!! :P

Screen door replacement, cut to fit.

The protective foam that ships with motherboards..again cut to fit.

All fairly cheap and easy to do.

Post subject: edited reply added more info
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:42 pm 

It might be easier to just add another fan to your case to an empty opening if you have one. They also sell Y cable adapters that will split your sys fan outlet to 2 outlets. They even sell adapters that turn one connection into 4 outlets for sys fans. That would cost less than 10 dollars. 8)

I'm not sure you are going to get much air flow out of a 3.5 opening. If you case is really sensitive to heat, then I would splurge and get an aluminum case.

I've also seen some plain metal computer cases for less than $40 that are better than the ones they were selling 3 or 4 years ago. They are thinner gauge metal (lighter) and have more fan slots.

I've also seen some local dollar stores with office desk accessories made out of metal mesh. The big problem there is either taping or protecting sharp edges from cutting cable ribbons, fingers, etc. Using auto cable sleeves secured by plastic ties around sharp objects is a sure bet.

I've hot glued mesh to cases, but after all the time and effort really didn't see that much of a difference than I did switchng to more expensive aluminum cases (up to 10C). You get what you pay for. I feel your pain though. I have my eye on a server rack box that costs about $250.

Maybe when gas goes back to less than $2.5 a gallon.

Last edited by magneticvaportrail on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:51 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Use panty hose for the air filter. I've never had to actually make a frame for soemthing. So i dont have any suggestions there... though you could try cutting the original plastic cover...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:02 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Air conditioner filter foam available at hardware stores was what I used for over two years. I cut up and made filter holders from cereal boxes and aluminum HVAC tape, which covered up fan holes that I cut into the side panel. :P Looked like hell, but it did the job: I ended up having to wash the filters every two months because they got so filthy.

The idea of using an unused 3.5" bay at the front for a duct opening, though, sounds promising... but chances are you'll be home-brewing the entire thing. If you're gonna need/use a hose, say, to connect directly to a CPU (like I did from the rear of my present case), consider carburetor preheater hose. 2" diameter, aluminum, bendable, holds its shape well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:41 am 

ac ryan sells mesh like the antec 1200 is made of. You can get it thru performance pc's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:02 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

33mopower wrote:
ac ryan sells mesh like the antec 1200 is made of. You can get it thru performance pc's.
A lot of it is out of stock, and it's sold in big sheets.

I was looking for extras, as I could use some. Having a small piece for a small drive bay doesn't need the entire sheet and would be really a waste.

So if anyone has some extra AC Ryan mesh, holler out. If not, I want some and can give enough to do this job and some instructions. It's basic metal working and just evolves the material, the edge of a workable desk edge, and a soft blow hammer. Made a 5-1/4" grill for the SFF boxes, and this is just smaller.