Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: changing fan in power supply
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:54 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

So i'm not sure if this is safe enough but I want to swap the fan out of my power supply

it's a coolermaster 500watt and the fan is loud and it rattles, I took the cover off the unit the fan has 2 pins and isn't soldered on. the fan was covered in lubricant as well. So I figured new power supply or swap the fan ( the sad but not shocking thing is the power supply fan isn't a cooler master fan)

so I have a 120mm fan thats for one quieter and better quality, I'm wondering about swaping fans, there's no warranty I cut the floppy connections off, and its probably expired.

So bottom line. Should I run into a problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy doing just what you are asking about. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Edit: Here we go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ddtAZ6AV7A

He had to solder, but you might not have to since you mention having a connector.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

its easy, Ive done it a few times, mainly to run the PSU fans off a fan bus.

the pin connectors may not be standard, but the fan is. solder and heat shrink tubing is the best way but you could get away with electrical tape if needed. splice into the original pin connector and route the wires the same way.

the usual warnings about PSUs apply: off via rear switch, hit power button on front to discharge unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:54 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Well it was pretty easy,

I just took apart the 2 pin molex on the old fan, just squished the little metal tabs that hold the wires in with a small flat head, pull wires. Then I did the same on my new fan that had 3 pins. I then inserted the black and the red wires in 2 pin molex. Made sure to tweak the metal holding tab. tucked the wire so it wouldn't interfere with the fan. assembled and it worked.

its actually better now even when it was brand new, its whisper quiet. If I buy any more cooler master psu's i'll be replacing the fans just to make them more silent.
thanks all for the help