Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: whats the point?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:24 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Small question out for anyone out there who has put one of those small TFT screens into their case.... What's the point of them? I don't see anyone wanting to use one as their primary screen. Is it for monitoring system resources and temperatures?
:roll: might be a stupid question, just something I always wondered :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:51 am 
Million Club
Million Club

You can use them to keep track of temps while you're playing a game.. or at least I do. :) Also, it's fun to see people's reactions when you've "got a screen in your computer!!!!!"

Wow. My friends need to get out more. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:05 pm 

Oh sure, mine has a blue tooth connection that talks to my phone, so I can see my text messages!

Not, just yanking your chain! :twisted: (playfully, no insult intended!) They could be pretty useful if they have menus you can program, say adjust audio settings, etc., like your car stereo (instead of cluttering up your sys icon tray).

Or if it was tied to the fridge, you know, you scan every item that leaves, and your wireless router conveys how many beers you have left (I mean, why actually count them, right?). Hey, if you make 300K a year, you might really NEED this stuff, right?

It's sort of like that instant message thing that says you've got mail, like you are not going to eventually check your account, you need a notification mechanism.

And it can sometimes be like two neighbors, having a bigger lawnmower war.

LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:09 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Think of them as just second monitors. You use them as just that. You can pull IM chats, poker games, and just about anything minor you don't want hanging around on the main screens. More uses could be Skype, Vent, and THEN the basic info like temps and all that.

The one I've really gotten into runs the mini-OS that will run with the main computer pretty much off line (The Asus thing). I can browse the web, use skype, and play with the computer without powering it all the way up. Once up, It holds basic data I don't want on my screen. Imagine being in game, and having another monitor with Vent or Steam being up. That doesn't need another 22" monitor, and is perfect for a 7" mini screen on the front of the case. The more I use it, the more it becomes something I couldn't live without. I've been posting in the forums for the last couple minutes, and watching NFL films on the little thing, along with highlights of the Nascar, MotoGP, and F1 from the past week.

Normally, it's just pulling 3rd screen duty; basically stuff I don't want hung up on some main screen. Get a touch screen, and man...I'd be jealous!

The single con I have is the way they have to connect. I have two 22" screens and the little screen then needed it's own little video card. Even before, the connection to the other card was a bunch of adapters and wires and just isn't pretty inside the box.