Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Shortening cables for a SFF rig
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:30 pm 

I've often thought of customizing cable lengths when building PCs, simply because you can negate the need to bundle excess cabling when routing it, but was always hindered by my inability to find the necessary crimp-on connectors for the ends of the wires. Thanks to the "Hardware Hacks" story in the July issue, I now know about www.digikey.com, and have even ordered (and received) their print catalog. The problem, as I'm sure any average commoner who's attempted to locate connectors in their online or print catalog can attest to, is that there's simply too much stock, too many measurements, too many types of plating, etc., for the common system builder to be able to figure out exactly which connectors he needs.

Well, now I'm building a SFF system, in a SilverStone SG01-BW case, with an OCZ EVOStream 720 PSU. There is absolutely no convenient way that I'm going to be able to fit these unmodified power cables in the case without it looking like a mess, so now, I'm going to HAVE to shorten them. While I'm at it, I figure I might as well shorten the wiring for the front panel connectors. However, I have no idea which contacts fit the 4-, 6-, 8-, and 24-pin power plugs, nor the front panel connections' plugs. (Fortunately, I WAS able to locate the correct contacts for the 4-pin Molex plugs.)

So, I'm wondering if anyone reading this may be familiar enough with this sort of thing to point me toward the correct contacts for my cable-shortening needs. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:35 am 
Team Member [Top 500]*
Team Member [Top 500]*

Someplace like this is a good starting point:

http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm

Typical connectors as used in home computers really use basically two pin sizes. They use .062 and .093 pins.

An important tool is an extraction tool to remove existing crimped pins from connectors so the connector shells are reusable, unless you plan on using new shells and building the connectors.

This is a pretty good read as it includes some part numbers for connectors:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnec ... ctors.html

Just remember never cut short! :lol:

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:45 pm 

Okay, seriously, you are the MAN! Those links provide me with a source for all of the contacts I need! In the past, I've googled various combinations of keywords, and never stumbled across anything even remotely helpful in identifying exactly what contacts I need in order to do this.

As for extractors, I've already got one for the old 4-pin Molex plugs, and until such time as I decide to order a proper extractor, I do have an improvised means of removing the square contacts from the 24-pin (and similar) plugs without damaging the connector.

Thank you so very much for the information!