Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Solder Modding XFX Alpha Dog 256
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:21 am 

I bought this card at tiger direct.

I know it is not a beast or anything but I was looking for better performance for a small price.

I original had two 7800gt in SLI and I think this performs better just enough to justify the cost. I was looking to maybe buy a second card and run them in SLI but the one issue I have with the card is that XFX cheapened out on the vga fan. They used a 2 wire fan and because of that it runs at 100% all the time. It appears from looking at the pcb that it could accommodate a proper 3 wire fan. I was considering buying a new variable speed fan and soldering it in place.

My questions:

1. Can anyone take a picture of an XFX 8800gt and show me the side that the 3 wire fan plugs into and also the bottom side of the XFX so that I can see if its similar to the above XFX?

2. Do you guys think the drivers etc are fully capable of throttling the fan down? Or have they been special programmed for this card so that it will not throttle the card down. The drivers have the option but maybe because they do not receive rpm notification from the card they will not throttle the card down.

My guess is that this will work. Just wanted to get some input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:08 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I now see why I don't partake in this section.

3 more months and I'll look in here again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:34 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I don't think it will work. If there is a spot for a three wire fan connector, they probably didn't hook up the rpm pin to anything, since they're only including a two wire fan (not hooking it up saves some money). If the rpm wire is hooked up to something, you might be in luck, unless they disabled it some other way (the video card's bios, the drivers, etc.).

Note: if you do try this, you'll be voiding your warranty.

Suggestion: if you don't aren't at least pretty good at soldering, you probably shouldn't try soldering the three wires in.

If you really want to have a variable speed fan in there, I'd get something like the Zalman Fanmate (or make something similar) and just manually control the fan's speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:33 pm 

No bad...work. :)

-----------------------------------------
support @ cannydesign.com