Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Some help w/ speakers?
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:37 pm 

Good Evening;

Unfortunately, my question bears a small bit of background. I apologize and hope you can bear with me:

I've decided to build a HTPC, including the entire HT part (sans TV & 5.1 speakers) inside a Magnavox BH6748FR02.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found that the original electronics were functional (In so much as I could test them, I don't own records or 8-tracks), and in fact, the unit produces great sound, especially for being almost 40 years old! Hell it gives my logitech z-680's a run for thier money!

I decided to keep and incorporate the old electronics into the build as it adds great flavor and looks quite sassy, especially as it gives that older, rustic, antique feel. Also, did I mention great sound?

Now, my problem. The speakers are too big. I won't pretend to know speaker terminology, but the problem speakers are the large ones producing the bass (sub?... Woofer?). These suckers are around 14"x10" each and are mounted in the sides (therefore extending inward, not back).

I figure 40 years later, there ought to be an appropriate speaker that I can replace them with that would be a fraction of the size (6" maybe?).

For reference, there are 2 channels. Each has 1 small, 1 medium, and 1 large speaker all wired in series. Would that mean it is really 2 speakers (left/right) with three drivers/elements/whatever?

So any suggestions on with what and how to replace the rather large speakers? The small and medium sets are fine.

Would I be better off removing all the speakers and replacing it with a more appropriate modern desktop 2.1 system? (One with great sound?)
I would assume I'd have to dissect the 2.1 system as every 2.1 system I've seen is powered and the power would come from the magnavox in this case instead of the outlet. I fear I might damage the 2.1 system otherwise as I doubt any come with a limiter.

Atleast the modern desktop system will come with sheilding, so I won't have to splurge $50+ on sheilding the speakers. Might be worth sheilding the original unit though... I'm trying to build this thing on the cheap, lol.

I know this isn't directly computer related, but I really don't want to fry my brand new HTPC as it will most likely be right next to the speakers.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give. Speakers aren't realy my thing so I would appreciate any tips or starting points for my research in this area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:54 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I don't know your price range, but Bose has some superb computer speakers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:51 am 
Willamette
Willamette

damit satan, you know when you look at somthing like that and think "christmas" your really in for it :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the info.

Buying two new woofers and the related sheilding would run me over $150.

I'm starting to think that replacing the entire speakers in the Magnavox might be the best way to go in bother terms of ease and economics.

I'm guessing that If I took the original Magnavox leads and ran them to the Line IN on the desktop system, I would end up ruining the desktop's electronics (too much signal). So I'll have to remove the "amp", etc from the Desktop's and simply wire the leads directly into each speaker. Does that sound right or am I leaving something out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:14 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

speakers that old are probably going to be an odd impedance (this is a tube amp?) so directly replacing them is pretty much out, even if you found ones that fit. speakers need to be matched to the amp. today, theyve standardized on 4 or 8 (sometimes 2) ohm impedance but back then anything went. mismatch them and youll have bad sound and/or blow the amp.

running the speaker leads to your soundcards line in will probably fry it, or at the very least sound horrible.

if you like the sound, run line out from the sound card to the tape in on the amp (those old units usually have internal RCA jacks, just use the ones the tape deck uses). then use the PC sound software to equalize the sound till you like it.

I agree some of those old tanks had some nice warm sound. add a center and rear speakers and you could have something cool.

EDIT: if you have a multimeter, check the resistance of the big speaker (woofer) and see if its anywhere near 4-10 ohms. if it is you can directly replace it with a modern woofer. however modern woofers will have a stronger magnet, so you may have to shield it anyway.

BTW why shield it? if you go LCD or Plasma you wont need shielding, only CRT based stuff needs shielding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:48 pm 

It's not a Tube Amp, sadly. Although, from looking at the construction, its definietely a high quality peice.

You're right about the odd Impedence. I crawled into it last night (yes I'm that small - and its that big), and I found teh crossovers tucked behind teh woofers. It's labeled at 3.2 ohms, so I figure I'm looking at something pretty unique. There's a maintainence schematic, but unfortunately its not labeled very well.

This sucker has plently of RCA (3 external, 1 internal) OUTs and an RCA IN (and an Internal IN) (for the 8 track recorder - its older than cassette, lol). I was planning on connecting it to the A/V receiver that way. Possibly tieing a simple CD Player into one of the INs. Tht way I can just pop open the lid and listen to a CD with out having to turn everything on, lol.

Multimeter - On my list of things to buy when I get that tax rebate.

Sheilding. Here's my thing, and I might be assuming incorrectly. I'm putting an HTPC (among other things) into the box. My concern was that the B feild would mess w/ the Hard Drives or the Mobo's Ram and the other electronics being installed. (more concerned about the HDD's).

That's why I was looking at the sheilding. Not totally sure If my concern is valid, but I can't really find much info saying yay or nay. Any opinions?

-edit - spelling. Sorry, Can't spell to save my life, lol