Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: new dewalt build ,
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:50 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

hi all,

Just for fun, and cause I dont' have a job, lol. Note: this is not a high end mod, just using stuff I have around the house, so don't expect much

So I'm gona do it, build a pc with no case. I know it's been done befor but I want the practice for my future ideas. Also need practice at documenting w/ pic.s for a nice thead later, if it works of course, ha.

Half as a joke on my buddy(I bought/built pc for his business needs) and half cause I want to see what I can do. I'm gona start with this
I don't think it'll all fit so I might have to use a shoe or cereal box for the extras.
I spent all my money on shipping/packaging and didn't have any left for a case, haha.

I'm gona also broadcast the build of it on Yahoo Live : live cam, just for fun 8).

Post subject: re: Dewalt update.
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:34 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

done did it, lol.

U thought I was kidding eh? Well here it is, up and folding again, ha.
up and running

So it's just for fun, more of a joke on my friend then anything else. And yes it's supposed to look like a box of parts, lol. It's really just a way to keep it running while I do the real paint job mod on the case, ha.

I've been trying to come up with a name for this mod. Open face PC, poor mans' PC, 'puter in a box, handyman special, I don't know, so I'm looking for suggestions. portable pc, lol

I didn't do alot of things(i.e. wire sleeving, no extra USB ports, but this was done on the cheap with suff I had laying around. Here's my main modding tool, used about a half a tank: only cause I dont have a dremel tool

So here's a link to my photobucket folder, if ur intrested in seeing what a caveman can do, lol. pc pics album

It does appear to be running very cool now. just unplug a few things and ur good to go mobil. This is what a caveman calls a portable, :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

not bad :P Is this your first mod?

Post subject: re: build update, lol.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:04 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Hey all,

So I finialy got my Dremmel tool. Nice, works well if you have the right disk for the material.

I've cut out the side panel for air/light(see all that goodness in side :twisted: ). I think is came out nice buy adding the gold painted alum screen mesh 8) .

I just need to mount some lights and get a good picture in the dark. Now it doesn't take up as much desk room and it has a power button :shock: .

side panel cut

assembled but not finished

Post subject: Power button
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:05 pm 

Nice job on your build. I have my own build going that doesn't involve a case (acutally a 1970's stereo) but have come to the point of adding the start button but can't seem to find start buttons. (At least those along the lines that come with cases) I hooked up a start button from an old case but it didn't work. Not sure why.

Thought you might have some insight on where to get start buttons or how to use a momentary switch or something of the like that you can get from Radioshack.

Thanks

Post subject: re: button.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:01 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Hey Pasc,

Cool, I've been thinking of alternate housings also. 8)

First you need to have your MB manual or at least a diagram of pinouts, gotta get the right pins. Sometimes you can read some markings(not me, I have to use a magnifying glass all the time now :roll: ) on the MB board.

Most peeps use, like you say, a momentary switch(i.e normally open, electronic term.). Note, some older cases are wired diff. for power(i.e. double pull/throw switch).

It helps if you have the connector(i.e. 2-pin). I used a screw driver to short the two pins together(not recommend!) temp. for that build, because I couldn't remove the existing case switch w/out damaging it.

You could use a on/off switch and just toggle it on then off right away to get that momentary effect, but that's not really recommended.

I do find it hard to find an appropriate momentary switch for the PC, but a rocker type from Rshack would most likely work fine. The trick is to find a mounting style that works well for your installation.

Post subject: re:button
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:10 am 

Caveman,

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try the rocker switch. Luckily the Mobo came with an q connector for setting the pins. If any other tips come to mind pass them along. all help is welcomed.