Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What todo with my dads pcs
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 8:00 am 

My dad had bought 2 Dell Dimension 3000's with xp when he was alive, but now he is gone thanks to brain cancer.javascript:emoticon('') One dell has never been opened. The other no longers boots for some reason.Mabye a bad circuit or something. I did alot of software installs on the harddrive. No one in my family liked me installing apps and utilities on the harddrive.(They think the more you download to it the worse it gets;which is true if you don't do regular maitainence like running Ccleaner,Backup Files,Defrag,Benchmarking, using Threatfire and Clamwin,watching the number of processes and closing,ETC.It is the number processes and the amount of CPU AND RAM memory they need. Some apps hog more than others. The Harddrives just store data for the to CPU to read . The Hard Drive does not run the whole show.It is just a bridge. They think they need everything left on the hard drive even the temp files which can hog space on the hard drive. Even with a laptop they are synical about it, So i decided screw it i won't maintain it for while then it stopped.)Sorry for the tangent,Anyway I want to see the harddrive is working so i want to get an external enclosure for IDE to see if it boots. I also think I could do case modding maybe use the original OEM cases. But I dont get the thing with the screwed up bolts. This is basically a salvage operation. I want to take the 2 dell dimension 3000 machines and make one machine in his memory;Mabye put linux on it. I would hate to throw them out. I want to reuse them in someway. I have a 3-port usb card i added to it .as to what I use them for , frontends for mythtv, a reguler pc or a Raid. So i ask what are good cases that are good for novices? what tools would be used best modding? what PC parts work well with modded cases?

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/8433/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:10 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Sorry to hear about your dad, But as you know, Dell's are very propiretary, but modding the case is not a problem. I don't much about mods but someone will help you.

Post subject: REPLY
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:48 am 

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your dad, But as you know, Dell's are very propiretary, but modding the case is not a problem. I don't much about mods but someone will help you.
To be honest I had a hard time grieving as much as my family over my dad. We got into a lot arguements about using outlook express and his PC. I told my parents to stop using it, but they wanted to keep indypairadocs@comcast.net inspite of the fact that they have over 5,000 emails. I installed thunerbird for them because it had gmail support & you could organize mail in FOLDERS. They did not like the filters I setup because they did not like how it was archiving mail out of order and not in chronological order unlike outlook expresses void. I got them a gmail account which they never use. I want them to go web-based but I dont know how they can keep it is there a way to keep the address and use gmail but divert all the mail from indypairadocs@comcast.net to gmail? Modding the case is not on top of the priority list, Although I would like about the melted bolts and how to replace them with real screws as well as the best way to approach case modding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:41 pm 

Funny you should ask, I was just reading a popsici article about it...

1) Login to Gmail
2) Click Settings
3) Find "Send Mail As:"
4) Click add and type their old email in
5) Choose "Reply from the same address the message was sent to
6) Find "Get mail from other accounts:"
7) Click add and type their old email in
8) Click Save

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:10 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Sorry to hear about your dad, mine too died of Brain Cancer back when I was 12. Wow, it's been nearly 20 years. :cry:

You see, time keeps going on whether you want it to or not. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:25 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

to dylanwin

That is one way, but there is another way so all the mail is retrieved without having to send as the comcast.net account.

Go into gmail settings, and select accounts. Scroll down to the section labeled, "get mail from other accounts". Select "add another email account" and follow the instructions.

Also you can use Outlook with gmail. Gmail provides its own instructions in the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" section. IMAP is recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:28 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Newegg.com

FrozenCPU.com

TigerDirect.com

These are all great resources ro building computers and modding.