Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: BIOHAZARD CASE MOD.....MUST SEE
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:39 pm 

Take a look at my completed BIOHAZARD CASE MOD. let me know what you think? I'll post my "parts" and "how to" lists soon.

By kurtleyba, shot with SP-2000 at 2008-04-25

By kurtleyba, shot with SP-2000 at 2008-04-26

By kurtleyba at 2008-04-25

WELL, WHAT DO YA THINK?

KURT LEYBA
KURTLEYBA@HOTMAIL.COM Denver Custom Cases

Last edited by KURTLEYBA on Sun May 04, 2008 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:48 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Wow... that's an AWESOME mod.

One suggestion though: Some of the water-cooling tubes are somewhat too... I guess "bright". If you can, you may want to dull it down a bit to make it to accentuate even more the awesome look you already have.

I'd also, if you can, paint the opty-drive cover. Just picky detail, but if you want to, you can make it blend in to the case better.

Overall, impressive mod.
~| Icarus

Post subject: tubes too bright
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:53 pm 

I'll try to take one of the green LEDs out and rely only on the UV lights. I never thought about the DVD bezel. huh.....good idea. I missed that one.

thanx a lot
kjl

Post subject: WHEN A MOD IS COMPLETE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:15 am 

It's kinda sad when you finish your mod. you get used to working on it every day; you look forward to invoking different ideas.....and then. it's finally done.

now what?

I can't build a new one until I sell this one. see what I mean?

Post subject: re: mod
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:26 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

NICE JOB,

Very cool painting and attention to theme, wow, what an artistic effort. Nice combining ur system and ur artwork design. 8)

Looks like it came right out of doom! :twisted: the only thing missing is some rusting droppings, lol.

I see ur pics are bright, how's it look in the dark?

Sell!?, ur gona sell that? :shock: I guess that's the only way you can move on to a new build eh?

Post subject: ONLY ONE AT A TIME
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:32 am 

yeah, since these rigs run $4-6K to build, it's def. one-at-a-timin'

the pics came out bright---I didn't use a digital cam. I should have. as for it's "brightness," it's really not. again, it's the bad pics. the UVs light it up just right. it reminds me of the same light level and brightness in Quake4 were walking down any hallway has a standard neon light level to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:39 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

That's a nice mod.

Personally, I don't care for the 'dirty' / 'rusty' look, but all in all, very nice mod.

Post subject: TobyKY76
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:02 am 

TobyKY76

it's more than just dirty/rusty; that's just one part of the overall theme. the theme is a government disaster. a Chernobyl in a box; complete w/ a core meltdown. however, I understand that it may not be everyone's thing. there are def. mods out there that are good of which I personally do like...so I totally understand where you R coming from.

Post subject: Re: TobyKY76
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:06 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

KURTLEYBA wrote:
TobyKY76

it's more than just dirty/rusty; that's just one part of the overall theme. the theme is a government disaster. a Chernobyl in a box; complete w/ a core meltdown. however, I understand that it may not be everyone's thing. there are def. mods out there that are good of which I personally do like...so I totally understand where you R coming from.

PLEASE, don't get me wrong. The mod itself is awesome. I get what the overall theme is, and there are some great looking things in there. I was just talking about the paint scheme (just not my cup of tea) :wink:

The coolant tank is great (would like to see some bubbles in there).

Post subject: TobyKY76
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:50 pm 

TobyKY76

No, I'm hearing ya. perhaps you'll like my next mod--I have a request from a customer to make Dr. Frankenstein's castle. It will have the open lab on top complete w/ a plasma ball (a smaller version of the 7" plasma orb, you know those electrical orbs, that when you touch anywhere on the bulb archs of electricity flashes?). Frozencpu sells the 2" version made for pc cases.

I'm gonna use foam building stones from Hobbylinc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:40 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

i am actually quite partial to the rust mods and i have to say it is one of the top ones i have seen, although i can tell you went with a nutral rust color to not-overdue which is fine. anyways a few darker rust spots i think would really brighten it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

it looks really nasty....in a good way! I feel like donning my hazmat suit.

Great job!

Post subject: BIOHAZARD CASE MOD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:12 pm 

I'm gonna use another member's idea (Skitzo) of a fake holding tank for the green slime on top of the case. I am gonna fabricate another box-like housing out of white styrene sheets; I found an actual smoke generator from MicroMark that is made for model trains. it is designed for building models. it is very small w/ a changabel smoke stacks. I will have this fake tank w/ smoke coming out of the top. I will place this smoke/tank/housing on top of the case toward the back. here's the pic of this cool part

By kurtleyba at 2008-05-04

Last edited by KURTLEYBA on Sun May 04, 2008 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: BIOHAZARD CASE MOD
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:11 pm 

I'm gonna break apart my pc now in order to do the tank/smoke stack mod. I should be down for about 4 days. I will then post new pics of the new mod complete w/ the new smoke generator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:05 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Awesome job on this, I love the entire theme 8)

Post subject: BIO STEPS
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:54 pm 

HOW I DID IT

I mounted the dual fan Danger Den GTX radiator on the left side panel. I then built a box-housing out of white styrene sheets and clamped them together w/ plastic welding cement and L-brackets. I did not weld the top of the box to the rest of the box-housing since there might be a chance for the need to take the box apart. so, the housing was designed to be collapsible. I then built a door out of "Modder's Mesh" from MNpctech. It gave the whole unit an industrial feel. I also installed two 4 inch UV lights inside the box-housing. the power wires were threaded through a 1/8 inch whole drilled through the panel.

Above is the radiator and the UV lights before I sleeved them with the "Orge" sleeving kit. I had put everthing together and then sleeved the wires last--I wanted to make sure that everything worked! besides, the sleeving of wires is my least favorite thing to do....in fact, I hate it!!!!

I painted the box w/ Alclad metal paint and then applied the "rusting" material from MicroMark.

I used a Dremel to drill many 1 1/2 holes throught the case to run the Tygon tubing, and then lined them w/ rubber gouments from Performance-pcs. I used Koolance Quick Disconnects on the tubing so the both side pannels could be removed w/o having to empty the fluid.

the waterblock is by Swiftech, and the watercooled RAM is by OCZ, which in their FLEX XLC series, comes watercooled ready. however, since my tubing is 3/8 ID and the RAM is 1/4 ID, I had to attach reducers from Thermaltake. the reducers came in a kit that converted 3/8 ID to 1/4 ID. I also had to attach 1/4 ID tubing, which I did not want too, but had no choice.

By kurtleyba, shot with SP-2000 at 2008-05-03

THE PIC ABOVE:

on the front bezel, I cut out a whole for the 120mm fan. I then inserted a black fan duct, which comes in a large tube-like piece of stock. you measure the depth needed and then cut it w/ a hand saw. this black fan duct was from MNpctech. it looks better w/ a duct than having the sides open and visible. I used the Dremel w/ cutting disk. I also cut a 80mm hole on the window panel for the side fan. the grill is another great item from MNpcte/ch.

By kurtleyba, shot with SP-2000 at 2008-05-03

On top of the case is the 6 inch "Urban Assualt" 120mm fan grill--from, again, MNpctech. it came in black; however I used the rusting paint to go over it.

I also changed out the front LEDs for 5mm UV ones from Frozencpu. the Bulgin switch is also a replacement from the ugly grey power switch. the front LEDs had to be attached to this very neat item from Frozencpu which is a small LED docking station where you can attach up to four LEDs. it is powered by one 4 pin molex. it has four 2 pin male connectors.....pretty neat, huh? it has a sticker/glue on the back side so it could be mounted anywhere in the case.

I hand painted the "warning" signs on white styrene sheets. I then mounted the Invotech Tower resavoir filled it w/ Feser "Acid Green" non conductive coolant.

I also used Logysis plasma lights from Xpcgear to give the "industrial" look. I mounted UV lights throughout to enhance the tubing.

the slime was done w/ green clothing paint from Walmart. I finished the mod by ording custom case badges from Directron.

the entire case was then sealed w/ tripple thick clear coat from Krylon. oh, also, the fans, along w/ all the wires, were sleeved w/ Wirecare's "Orge" sleeving material. the fans were then routed to the fan controller by Sunbeam from Xoxide.com.[/b]

Last edited by KURTLEYBA on Mon May 05, 2008 12:31 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: MNPCTECH MODDING ITEMS
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:09 pm 

mnpctech.com wrote:
Awesome job on this, I love the entire theme 8)

Thanx! your modding gear gave it the exact look that I was going for!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:36 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Looks awesome! I have no where near the skills for that.

Post subject: THANK YOU
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:44 pm 

Quakindude wrote:
Looks awesome! I have no where near the skills for that.

thanx! thank you to all for your opinoins, comments, and sugestions. I really do appreciate them.

next week I will be building the smoke stack box-housing; the one I'm gonna mount on top of the case. I can't wait to post the results! also, hopefully I will have my replacement card for my 3rd 8800 GTX

Post subject: the poll on top
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:47 pm 

oh also, I didn't mean to add a poll--I was just messin' around with the feature since I am new to this forum stuff. I accidently published it and I don't know how to take it out.