Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Project Blue Streak
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:39 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So after months of planning and saving my pennies I'm finally starting my mod. I realized that I needed a cool name for my worklog so I have decide that this mod shall be Project Blue Steak.

(a rough Photoshop job to get an idea of waht the paint job will look like)

Moving on....

My case arrived Monday and I've been cleaning the garage to make space to work ever sense, today I set up my table and began.

The case came in a nice big box that was inside an even bigger box, I'm fond of boxes so this was a good thing. However as soon as I got it out in the open to have a good look I realized that I would have to change my plans. I failed to notice in all the pictures and videos I was looking at online that the inside is an ugly dull gray color. So I went down to the nearest auto supply store and got some primer and Chrome paint. This is where the photo taking began.

The case to my great pleasure came with out a blemish on it.

Taking it apart was a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, the top panel was held on by nearly a dozen rivets and wouldn't you know it my drill bit was broken, so I used a chisel to take them off. As you can see the interior truly is dull and ugly and just wont do in a case with such a big window.

I am now actually glad that the inside of my case needed to be painted. I've learned several things.

1. Enamel Requires FIVE DAYS to cure before you can put another layer of paint on top of it.

2. Do not start painting after your paint store has closed, Otherwise when you run out of primer you have to wait FIVE DAYS to finish the priming job.

3. All the tutorials showing how to paint a side panel don't mean JACK when it comes to painting the inside of a case. There is no easy side to side painting inside a case and lots of tiny corners and holes that can only be painted with quick careful spot shots.

4. Make sure that you have good lighting, Painting medium gray on top of medium light gray is very difficult in low light.

5. Don't forget to prep what your painting. I forgot the HD cage until I was halfway done with the other parts so I ran and got it, hung it and started painting it without cleaning it. Immediately I could see finger prints showing through the primer. I've decided to go through with painting it though because I want to see what happens when the cleaning step is skipped, And I think it will be good for everyone else to see what happens when the cleaning step is skipped.

All in all most things went well for my first day of painting. I made some mistakes but the primer looks pretty good so far and I think I got a decent coat on all parts that will be visible.

Post subject: Re: Project Blue Streak
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:27 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

soggy wrote:
3. All the tutorials showing how to paint a side panel don't mean JACK when it comes to painting the inside of a case. There is no easy side to side painting inside a case and lots of tiny corners and holes that can only be painted with quick careful spot shots.

I've always wondered about how to spray the inside of a case. I know that for outside you should wet sand it to make it shine. But since this is almost impossible for inside, do you just spray it without any sanding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:39 am 

I am constantly working on several projects at one time. Model train layouts, case mods, furniture building... whatever. One of the things that a struggle with is unnecessary detail. I try to detail insignificant aspects of the project because it fits with my way of doing things but tends to add extra time, money and effort. In other words, I wouldn't spend as much time on the inside as the out, as most of it will be covered up, and the computer will probably be sitting out of the way once done.

To your point: Make sure it’s clean and free of debris, and then spray it. You can use steel wool instead of sand paper between coats, allowing you to polish the surface with more detail. You should get a fine enough surface for the inside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:49 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

:!: A quick note, I was reading the drying instructions on the wrong can. The primer does not take 5 days to cure and infact can be painted over any time after an hour. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

UPDATE.

I checked my case today to see what I missed due to running out of primer and there were a lot more spots that I thought.

Thankfully I was reading the wrong can when I read that I have to wait 5 days for the paint to cure before adding more coats so it's back to the painting rack.

**A FEW HOURS LATER**

So the primer is dry and according to Duplicolor I can paint over the top of it. This is where things got bad. The clouds looked a little iffy so I checked my local Nexrad radar and it showed all clear so I began painting, not even 15 minuets into painting does it start to sprinkle so I grabbed all my stuff and hurried back to the garage but the damage had been done.

Luckally this is the inside of my case and I'm not gonna cry because it got a few blemishes, its not something I like but I'm not gonna take the time to sand it and start over.

Also worth noting is that the Duplicolor instant chrome is very thick and produces a very pronounced orange peal. again this is not something I'm worrying about for the inside of my case.

I'm down to half a can of chrome, it's raining, and the weather is supposed to get cold enough to possibly even snow this weekend so I'm gonna switch my efforts over to converting an old tent into a clean painting booth, if I succeed I will make a post all about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:31 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Good luck with the tent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:56 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

setting up a tent - sweeeet! 8) Just remember to have some venting going on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Time for an update

This painting takes a lot more time and gets a lot more expensive than I thought it would, for those reasons I've been forced to exercise some patience which is something I don't have much of.

first up I painted the chassis

this went well but I was forced once again to run when I saw the rain coming, so I didn't get on as many coats as I had wanted, but all the parts that will be visible got plenty of paint.

next up was sanding the water spots from the inside of the top panel and the HD cage. so I sanded and then I made a MOST IMPORTANT DISCOVERY!!!

Have you ever used a MR. Clean Magic Eraser? I have and they take EVERYTHING off of walls and more importantly computer cases. I wondered how it could do this and the only conclusion I could come up with is that they infact sand off the marks. To test this I went over my 800grit sand job with one of the erasers and you can see the results above. I'm not sure what grit it's equivalent to, but it's a lot finer than the 1K grit I have.

Anyway, moving on after seeing how smooth the Magic Eraser got my paint I decided that I wanted to go smoother so I went down to the Auto shop and got some 3M rubbing compound.

I could see my face in it but I could also see the primer which means I gotta paint it again and wait another 5 days to touch it.
:? Again though I discovered something. Not wanting to sand through to the primer again I put a lot more paint on than previously, apparently more paint = smoother more glossy finish.

the next order of business was sanding down all the panels for priming and eventually painting, I figured the panels are flat so it should be a piece of cake, that turned out to be both right and wrong. The panels aren't quite flat, the edges are slightly raised due to the folding, this isn't really a problem with the first sanding but it could be a problem later when I'm trying to sand the final coat.

I also figured this was as good a time as any to practice buffing the paint to a near mirror finish.

and again I have learned something the 400grit that I used to take the texture off of the case left marks that are very hard to remove and can still be seen in the reflection. This is fine for the first sanding but I think I'll skip the 400g from now on.

the next step is going to be finishing sanding the panels (I haven't done the top one yet) and then I have to make a decision about if I want to mod the front or not. I'm on the fence on adding a turbine mod to the front and where it would go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:26 am 
Team Member
Team Member

So, the truck in the background is a 73-81 Chevy. 4 Wheel drive or 2 Wheel? Shortbead or Longbead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:43 am 

You have a huge thumb. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Time for another update

I've started on the color. I was hoping to be done with the color by the time I made this post but I'll get to that later.

The metalspeck paint is beautiful, it's just as sparkly as I had dreamed it would be

there are a few things that need to be mentioned about this paint however.

1. Nowhere on the can of paint or on there site does it mention what kind of paint it actually is, if you call them they will tell you it is an Acrylic Lacquer which is important to know if you want to use it with enamel paints like I have.

2. The paint does not come out of the can evenly. more in a quick pulse spurt sort of fashion. Because of this it takes more coats than normal to get an even coverage

3. The paint has an adjustable fan spray on it so make sure that you check the direction of the spray or you could end up with pools of paint.

4. :!: KEEP YOUR RECEIPT :!: because this paint has flakes in it there is a possibility of clogging. I know this because halfway through painting my side panel with orange the paint sputtered and died.

worst of all I don't have an easy way to get down to Schucks at the moment so I have to wait to finish my project.

Quote:
So, the truck in the background is a 73-81 Chevy. 4 Wheel drive or 2 Wheel? Shortbead or Longbead?

I'm not exactly sure on the year but it's a 2 wheel drive with a straight 6 engine and 3 on a tree manual transmission.

Quote:
You have a huge thumb.

you know what they say about guys with big thumbs 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:58 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Almost as soon as I finished with my last post I was able to get a ride down to Schucks and so the painting continues.

Actually the rest went really smoothly so I don't have anything to say about these photos except that the colors were even better than I had hoped.

It's actually a good thing that the first can clogged because if I hadn't been able to trade it in for a full can I wouldn't have had enough paint. Also the 2nd can of orange actually clogged on me at about the same time the 1st one did, completely pissed I pulled off the tip and soaked it in paint thinner and wonder of all wonders it worked.

The only thing left to do is find some lacquer clear coat and polish this sucker till I can see my face in it.

Till next time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:02 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

That fascia is hot. Gotta love the colors. Great job so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:13 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

It's looking really sweet so far. good luck with the clear coat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:38 am 

Very nice, the colors look great together!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:28 am 

Very cool :!: great pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:32 am 
Willamette
Willamette

thats some l33Tsauce u got there :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:53 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

OK I'm finally finished with this project. The hardware store was out of the Clear coat I needed and then the weather was to bad to paint in but I finally got a nice week and this is the final product.

When I build the new system in it I'll have to get another can of orange for painting the CD drive and I plan to do the ULTRA letters in the blue streak then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:24 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

nice man! wow that turned out awesome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:32 pm 

That is one of the best paint jobs/schemes ive seen