Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pink Vinyl dye? /Removing decals?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:06 am 

Hello, I will be building a pink PC for my Stepdaughter. The CD/DVD drive and Card reader aren't pink. I as told by a friend that you can use vinyl dye for a nice look and solid finish. Where can you find pink vinyl dye??

I also wanted to keep the labels on the face plate of the card reader. Is there a way to remove them or is there a place to buy some decals?

This is the shade of pink I am looking for.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:41 am 

Oh God Pepto Pink :oops:

Anyway Vinyl Dye is a special kind of paint that is used to paint plastics. Unlike normal paint which puts a color coat on the surface vinyl dye 'seeps' into the plastic and colors it from within. This means that the surface detail of engravings/reliefs is not affected and the paint can not be scratched or peeled away. Vinyl dye does not adhere properly to some surfaces, such as those made of metal and those that have been spraypainted before. It needs some plastic to soak into and form a bond there.

Applying Vinyl Dye
- PAINT IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA. WEARING A MASK IS SUGGESTED.
- Make sure your can is properly shaken up.
- Clean your surface from dust and dirt with some soap and warm water. No priming or sanding is necesarry.
- Spray from as far away as possible in very light coats- dont cover the whole surface.
- Try to avoid running paint. If it runs do nothing about it. It will seep into the plastic.
- Spray several light coats on your surface until its fully covered. Then add a few extra coats for often-touched areas. Allow 5-15 minutes for the paint to dry between coats.
- After you are finished your plastic can be soft for another 12 hours.

If you want to remove spray paint and vinyl dye something try using brake fluid as paint remover. [Have not tested this personally]

If you want to dye some dark plastic, from black to yellow for example, you have to dye it with white dye first, then dye it again in your final color. If you use non-white dye the final color will be a mix of your first and second color.

Vinyl dying acrylic is possible and gives very good results. Painting it from the backside gives you a nice mirror finish. Lightly sanding the surface before painting gives a deeper color.

If you want to paint your IntelliMouse Explorer you have to sand down the surface first so the dye can get into the plastic.

Use vinyl dye to paint cables. The paint will not flake off when bending the cable.

To touch up small areas you can spray vinyl dye into a (non-plastic) container and use a q-tip to apply the paint.

You can get dye at http://www.parasolinc.com/dyes_paints.asp

as for the decal you won't be able to keep it during the process of dying, but you can make and replace them afterwords with a decal kit found at most hobby stores or at http://www.modeldecal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:49 am 

Thanks for the detailed reply and the linkage. The card reader comes with two additional plates so I can practice. :D

I think I will try to dye her keyboard and mouse too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:32 am 
Northwood
Northwood

DukeCLR wrote:
Thanks for the detailed reply and the linkage. The card reader comes with two additional plates so I can practice. :D

ewwwwwww.....

That computer will last longer than the girl's love for the color pink...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:48 pm 

Dwood15 wrote:
DukeCLR wrote:

ewwwwwww.....

That computer will last longer than the girl's love for the color pink...

I hear ya man. I can't believe I am building a Pink PC. :oops: