I was looking for a project and a friend was looking for a media PC to go with their soon to be home theater, of course the most logical case was the beloved Weighted Companion Cube. I took an old broken eMachine mATX case and pulled the motherboard tray and daughter card plate so I could mount my motherboard securely. The case is made from Â¼ in HDPE plastic sheets cut and glued together as needed. The box is 12 x 12 square not counting the extra Â¾ of and inch for each corner. To achieve the correct thickness at the corners and side pieces there was a lot of gluing and cutting, and a scroll saw was used to make the rounded cuts. I wanted to make the BLU-RAY player easily accessible so the front round heart plate is held securely by embedded refrigerator magnets for easy removal. The round heart plates are made from Â¼ inch clear Plexiglas for two reasons; it is very hard and will hold up to repeatedly removing the front to access the BLU-RAY and the side pieces have the hard drive access and power light built into them. They glow a bit but not an annoying amount. I finished the surface with 5 coats of Krylon Fusion Hammered Steel spray paint; Fusion Black for the box and Fusion Silver for the rest. This gave it a nice mechanical feel, even though the colors depart from the original a bit. The pink lines and hearts are hand painted acrylic. I am very pleased with the end result the plastics are heavy so the total weight is around 40lbs, so it is defiantly weighted. I have done case mods in the past but never one from scratch.
EVGA e-7150/630i nForce Socket 775 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz Socket 775
Crucial Ballistix 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Diamond TV Wonder 650 Combo PCI-e
Microsoft Media Center IR with Remote.
Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000
Pioneer BDC-2202B BLU-RAY
Western Digital Caviar SE 500GB
My color and size referances.
Plastic cut up before glue
Test fitting the try, trying to figure out power supply and BLU-RAY placment.
Some more test fitting.
Post and Pre corner cuts.
Back view in progress
Down view in progress. I switched to a shorter CPU fan to make it all fit.
Cutting the circular cuts on the edge pieces.
What a mess!
I used imbedded magnets in the box and in the circular heart piece to cover up the try. Works great.
All pieces just before finishing.
All done, close up. I was not going for perfection, I wanted flaws.
Here is the back.
Top Open showing how to service the unit.
Finally my top down finished box. I didn't really care about the inside, it's all covered up.