Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hal 9000 lense (noob modder needs help)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:42 pm 

Im not sure if I am in the right place but here it goes:

After building my computer last night I was doing some surfing and came up with the idea of replacing all the classic window xp sounds with sound bits from Hal 9000 from 2001 or at the very least using some sort of voice altering software to make custom sound bytes. Things like:

"Goodmorning Dave" and what not would replace the windows XP start up sound and so forth.

Anyway I would like to take this one step further and mount the iconic Hal 9000 lense on the front of my computer, namely on the front of the 5.25 bays that I dont use. However after several hours of searching I am surpirsed to find that not only is it next to impossible to locate a replica of the Hal lense, but that there is nothing similar on the market online in any of the main stream vendors one would think to look in.

This would be my first real attempt at modding my computer so I think I am looking in the wrong places for such an item. I dont need to have to have an exact replica of the eye and will settle for something similar. Any help in getting underway would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:13 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I think your best bet would to get a off-brand low quality red filter lens for a camera. It'd probably be around $5-$10.... they're pretty cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:34 am 

ravenhawk82 wrote:
I think your best bet would to get a off-brand low quality red filter lens for a camera. It'd probably be around $5-$10.... they're pretty cheap.

Would I find that at a camera store or something similar? As I said I did several hours of online searching and found very little to nothing from the main vendors (amazon, overstock, etc) so im wondering if its one of those items not typically sold in the main stream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:10 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

That's a pretty cool idea.
You can try adorama.com - it's a photo supply site. The thing about the red filter is it might not be as vibrant as the HAL 9000. You might have better luck getting a clear lens filter and putting some red cellophane behind it. It woulf make for a guadier shade of red.
That said, wasn't the HAL lens convex? If so, a camera filter, while a good easy solution, might not be totally accurate...