Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: hmm cutting holes in an aluminum case with a dremel....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:20 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

What is the best attachment to use to cut holes in a Lian Li PC-65 its relatively thick aluminum. Im getting a brand new one for my new build and want to do it right this time. So what are your suggestions, I have a pretty damn good dremel, just not really sure what to use. Cutting wheels dont seem to quite cut it. Plus its a extremely hard to make clean looking holes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:24 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I use my router attachment with routing bit to get the rough opening. Then I finish it off with the green grinding stone followed by the light sanding drum. Sometimes, I have to use the cone shaped metal grinder after the router bit to get the edges knocked down.

BTW, most people see this as common sense. But some don't so it's worth a mention. Don't cut holes while your gear is in the case. The fine metal particulate can get on the motherboard and other PCB's and short things out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:32 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Quakindude wrote:
I use my router attachment with routing bit to get the rough opening. Then I finish it off with the green grinding stone followed by the light sanding drum. Sometimes, I have to use the cone shaped metal grinder after the router bit to get the edges knocked down.

BTW, most people see this as common sense. But some don't so it's worth a mention. Don't cut holes while your gear is in the case. The fine metal particulate can get on the motherboard and other PCB's and short things out.

haha yes. When I cut everything comes out of the case for sure. I even take the top off to prevent scratching it. thanx for the suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:02 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Quakindude gave some good advice. If you have those attachments I'd try to do what he said.

If you are worried about scratching the paint make sure you cover the case in masking tape around the area you want to cut. This will help prevent scratches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:13 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I use these...

:arrow: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H=188549&G=66367&I=66371

I have a Lian Li V2000, also with thick aluminum panels those cut off wheels cut really nice. I finish the job with some 120 and 400 grit sandpaper. Works great for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:00 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Don't know if these will be helpful but....

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/square ... lar_window
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/cuttin ... _part_duex
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/mod_bl ... ock_system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:44 pm 

when i cut 2 120mm fan holes in the side of my thermaltake tsunami case i went to walmart and bought the heavy duty cutting wheels for the dremel. they push down and turn to lock into place. one blade cut both holes and still had plenty left for more cutting. just finished it up with a dremel barrel sander and it looked good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

if you got the tools and extra cash buy a hole saw..It makes the circle perfect if thats what your trying to do...It makes a big difference....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:55 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I actually used a circular grinding disk (well 3 to be specific, im really good at breaking them) and did a rough cut of the circle followed by fine-tuning using the coarse grinding stone. it took about 20 minutes start to finish and saved $10. Home Depot's circle cutters are quite expensive...and even more if you buy the center and outer part separate!

id post a picture of the finished product but it's 900 miles north of here now, my dad's p4 needed another intake fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:37 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Just make sure that you set the dremel at a very low speed. You probably don't want to melt the aluminum. I'm also considering cutting a hole for another case fan in the top of my case. It's steel. I was originally thinking about drilling a hole and then hacksawing it, but a dremel is a good idea. Let the spark fly!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:45 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Snake Pliskin wrote:
if you got the tools and extra cash buy a hole saw..It makes the circle perfect if thats what your trying to do...It makes a big difference....
I'll second this.

My second choice would be a jigsaw with some minor filing/sanding to clean it up afterwards.

dremel is and was intended for small jobs. When you start talking about fan holes, use something bigger. Like my grandpa always told me, you have to use the right tool for the job.

Now, if you're doing some kind of intricate design with the fan hole, like a she-devil, then I would go to a hand driven coping saw.