Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AMD Case Mod Project: 3/19 Video Update!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:00 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hey gang, This Mnpctech project is slated for AMD's display at ceBIT show in Hannover, Germany. 3/4/2008 - 3/9/2008. The case is a Thermaltake SwordM. I wanted to make something that reminded you of a space ship hull door. Reinforced Triangular Patterns with a rotary "airlock" latch. The shell I designed was milled from 1/2" aircraft aluminum on a 2 axis cnc mill. Everything is being chrome plated. Everything in the future is chrome right? ...lol. I will keep you posted on the progress 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytp1_uwRCfk

3/19/08 edited: Finally, video of the finished project!

Last edited by mnpctech.com on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:40 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:10 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Nice. About the only gripe I have is the flickering effect trying to drive me into a seizure.

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:20 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Good to note. Thank you!

I've done a lot of aluminum polishing with an electric buffer and by hand. Until you've done your own polishing, I can only describe it as extremely tedious work. It numbs your brain, but not in a good way. Theres only a few Modders like myself that have been crazy enough to polish their own aluminum parts, sethnmalice and Paul from coolercases.co.uk. It takes a lot of patience! Last year I polished the 26" tall machined 6061 aircraft aluminum side panels and motherboard tray on this tower by hand. It took me 2.5 weeks of work, on/off otherwise the task drove me out of my mind. If you don't have the proper buffing equip, you can wetsand out any imperfections first before buffing out the finish. I don't have all the pro equip, so the problem with 6061 alum, is it can scratch real easy. Any speck of dirt caught under a sanding block will create havoc in the finish, just like wetsanding a paint finish. Of course, this did happen a few times and you started over. I vowed I'd never do this again and seek a professsional next time I wanted this type of finish. "Project Phenom" presented this challenge again so I made some phone calls and found AAA Metal Finishing.

Yesterday I picked up the first pieces from AAA. On a saturday no less! Since Mnpctech manufacturers their own line of machined aluminum parts, I've always wanted to learn about chrome, copper, and bronze platting. AAA's owner, Raul gave my son and I a tour of the facility. The building is city block long! He showed us the steps involved in plating metal parts. I noticed one of Raul's clients was BigDog Motorcycles I recognized their logo on handlebars and frame brackets in different stages throughout the building. Before any part can be plated, it must first be Bead blasted and then polished, otherwise you will see any surface imperfections in the final chrome coating. Raul was kind enough to allow me to record some of the steps with my camera. I plan share this footage in the next video update for this project :)

The first parts to return are the new top panel and factory front bezel trim from the Thermaltake SwordM Case. The factory finish on the bezel was originally anodized silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Looking real nice Bill but I would expect nothing less from you.
You have the skill and the creativity to pull off anything when you try.

Top notch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:36 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

nice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:27 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I think I'm going to do this (polishing) to my CM stacker 830 Evo case, that ought to be a bugger to do. 'twill become my Zelda Triforce mod case (after I gold candy it)!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:35 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

-Lawless wrote:
Looking real nice Bill but I would expect nothing less from you.
You have the skill and the creativity to pull off anything when you try.

Top notch.

Thank you Ben.

@ PHX Suns 13, Thanks for posting

@ JC's Demon Slayer, I polished the PCApex rig, but opted for plating to save time...lots of time.

We just painted the SwordM's rear door with "Self Etching" base coat, then HoK Black Chrome, then HoK Kosmic Krome and will be airbrushing circuit board trails over it that play off the recessed portions in the milled side panels. Heres the SwordM's rear door before paint.

HoK Kosmic Krome is very fickle in how it's applied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:32 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

This is the start of the background design Mnpctech's painter Brad will airbrush for the rear door mural.. This will be the backdrop to airbrushed circuitry trails that are HR GIGER inspired. This piece will be cleared again, so the Kosmic Krome effect returns..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:27 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Heres the latest update on the rear door progress. The theme behind the Project Phenom's rear door design is futuristic.. Perhaps some strange type of space exploration equipment. Not neccessarily from Earth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:42 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

That is just sick. I love the look so far and I can't wait to see the end result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:50 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thanks Toby!

More progress photos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:00 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

Nice painting. It actually looks like you bolted/engraved those symbols into the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thank you avanish11!

I'll be mounting Round Modders Mesh on the back side of the openings in the milled side panel doors.

The small steel plates were spot welded onto the mesh, these will serve as AMD badges.

These triangular pieces were spot welded together. They mount inside the large side vents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:07 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Ok, heres the first of many doses of chrome goodness as I go through my progress photos from yesterday...

This is the mock airfoil/heatsink piece for the top panel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:48 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

The AMD 120mm 3/16" thick plated aircraft aluminum fan grills in the top panel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:44 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Damn nice metalwork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:54 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thank you Jerry... great name btw

Received an update from my AMD contact yesterday. It sounds like I should be expecting some parts to arrive on Monday. "The hardware spec for CeBit highlight will be our Spider Platform with Quad CrossFire (Phenom + 790FX + 2x 3870 X2" I will say that things have changed with every update I get from AMD that I wouldn't be surprised if something else arrived. Still no confirmation if/when I'll receive HDs, Mem, PSU, sound, or Optical drives..

2, 3870s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:11 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I wayyy underestimated the time that would be involved in the assemble of the case yesterday. Started late at 4pm and had to call it quits at midnight.. I forgot that all of thread holes in the chrome plated parts had to be re-taped. That along with missing odd-ball screws (4/40 x 1/2") among others, were misplaced or lost. Spent an hour at the local hardware store searching for fasteners.. In any case, heres some of the Bling that awaits assembly

What you're looking at in these pics, flawless chrome plating on the corner of AGP Vent, The left side access panel pieced together temporarily... Note, like the top panel in my last update, the recessed portions of the panel will offset with matte black vinyl. We didn't have time to paint, so the next best solution was matte black vinyl..The mesh will be painted Matte Black, to help offset the chrome, add depth to the reinforced features. Even with all of the Black bakground, this will be the most "Blinged-Out" computer evar.

Below, you're looking at the assembly of the left AGP vent, 120mm Aerocool fan sandwiched inside, but this fan will ultimately be replaced with Zalman w/ green leds I'm still waiting to arrive..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:52 am 
Willamette
Willamette

CHROME AND CONTEMPORARY STYLE!! :shock: Just the style i Like! It reminds me of the terminator for some reason...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:41 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Did you start off with a case of that design or did you design the panels as well?

Beautiful work. How bad are fingerprints?