Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Project: Build a desk...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:58 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Okay... so I need a desk. I haven't found any pre-builts that I like or will suit my needs. So I am going to build one.

If you were to build a desk, what features would you want? I do NOT want a built in computer. I change my machine and parts way too much and swap things around. Built in == bad.

• I do plan on having 2- 3 monitors on the desk at any given time. Sometimes a 4th.
  • There will need to be a spot for my main machine as well as hooksup for 1-3 more (kvm either via hardware or synergy etc).
  • Need to be able to minimize the number of sheets of wood I need to buy (likely oak plywood).
  • It should be a corner based unit
  • Each "arm" should be at minimum 3' from the "corner" section.
  • Debating the keyboard tray
  • Some shelving would be nice for CD/DVD binders etc
  • A hutch would / could be built later (at the same time, pending cost)

Last edited by CrashTECH on Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:27 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Hmm, a nice corner desk? Are 1-4 PCs and 3-4 monitors the only storage requirements, or do you have a lot of need for drawers and extra storage? A keyboard tray? Are you big on a hutch type shelf above the desk area?

I too am looking to build a new desk. My old CRT monitor bent my Big Lots $20 cheapie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:04 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I have updated my list a little bit. I also have found two decent write-ups, and a useful video series on this topic. It is hard to find decently useful stuff.

"Ergonomic" desk /w articulating keyboard tray
Custom desk, lots of good storage. Seems VERY sturdy.
Video series on expert village, videos not in order

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:34 pm 

That's gonna be a large desk, lol.

I think individual features depend almost solely on your aesthetic sense and required space.

- I've found in my experience, keyboard trays are more of a hassle than a convience, not only in the building of one, but terms of wear/breaking over time. Most people tend to just leave it extended in practice.

- If your planning on something like your second example (which looks awesome, btw), I would HIGHLY suggest an ultra cheap stainable carboard/particle board backing. It'll save a lot of aggravation of having to climb under your desk to fish out a CD case, pens, food, etc.

I hope that helps and I wish you much luck! As someone who is being pressured to invest in a new desk ;-) (Currently an old sewing table), I'm really interested to see what you come up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:17 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Since I'm the family accountant, I would need a drawer that can accomdate hanging files for bills and such. I'm partial to an "L"-shaped arrangement.

In fact, I think I have my perfect desk. I need to tidy up a bit but I'll post a picture. I think it was made by Sauder and it was a wedding present.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:42 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Yeah, I have a pair of 6' tables and "desk" that is a 3.5' long. So the excessive workspace is kind of necessary. I will have a pair of printers, 2-3 monitors, plus a laptop (as a typical case).

Here is my initial sketch, I have added about 6" to the center sections length on both sides.

http://www.bdwakefield.com/desk/img/DeskDims.jpg

Looks like I can fit it on 4 sheets 4x8 of ply (http://www.bdwakefield.com/desk/img/Desk_Cut_Guide.jpg). I am planning on using hardboard for the back of the two sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:34 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I like the sketch. My desk is still messy but I will see if I can find a factory picture. I have a hutch over the right hand part where I have 3 cubbies for misc. stuff. On the top of the hutch I have my router, IP phone, and eMTA as well as my computer books and my MaxPC mags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:06 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I am not sure that I want a hutch. I would like the space, but I don't want to get locked into a certain space for the monitors. This was the main problem I had with most of the desks I saw online / in stores that were less than about $500. If it had a hutch you could only fit one monitor on the desk, which is automatically out for me (I have 2 22" screens and I am thinking about adding a 3rd).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:33 pm 

This may sound weird, but I just built a custom desk from Ikea kitchen cabinets. The amount of customization is great. I'd take pictures, but my goofy chick has crap spread across the desk, which is the sad reality of space management. The amount of crap you have on your desk scales proportionately to the amount of real estate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:10 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Yarrr wrote:
This may sound weird, but I just built a custom desk from Ikea kitchen cabinets. The amount of customization is great. I'd take pictures, but my goofy chick has crap spread across the desk, which is the sad reality of space management. The amount of crap you have on your desk scales proportionately to the amount of real estate.
Inorite?

Yeah, I have had to put this on hold for the time being.... I really want to work on it, and I might finally get some time this summer. The space I have no really sucks... the biggest part of my desk is a 6' folding table! It just isn't "working" for me.

Perhaps I will be able to start this project soon?

Please though, take some pictures if you can / soon. I would like to see what you did.