It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:37 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

OCNoob wrote:
GreenMidgetYoda wrote:
how abt painting things on ur case with washable walmart paint? or adding cool lighting stuff.

Just as cheesy and my sticker mod so yeah.

lol i was serious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:01 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

GreenMidgetYoda wrote:
OCNoob wrote:

lol i was serious

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:59 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

One4yu2c wrote:
This thread actually has potential if anyone cares to get it back on track.
I don't like ANY of the mods, sorry freak. Number one has potential, but it's not really a 5-min mod. It's a cheesy method to stealth anyway.

Number two will show no benfits to cooling, but will for sure catch you one day/night while you're borking around the PC sometime. One slip, and you'll get the infamous "pthhllllll" of your fingers getting flipped by a fan or two. I still get knuckle rub digging inside, and I'm very glad the waffle-mesh is there. All you really need on a fan's intake side is volume. no straight shot, nothing...just volume; and it gets it with the grill on or off. With the way fans are build and designed, you'll notice that air only moves around the areas of the blade tips on outward anyway. There's a big deadspot about 2" wide in the center on typical 80mm fans.

If you want to improve airflow of the fans, then it's going to take some type of ducting. I'm not big on those large tubes, but find that even a 1" long extension straightens out the pinwheel of air and regroups it so it's just not flung into the case. You'll have to be creative here, but it could be done.

The third one is the most scary. Just taking a piece of sandpaper to the bottom of a HS is a very horrible idea; polish or not. When you take a piece of sandpaper into your hand and start sanding, your fingers are the pressure. Your fingers are not at all even, and you will be sanding highs and lows into a flat surface. The bottom of a HS must be perfectly flat...hense, "Lapping". Lapping is taking a known flat surface (or in circular objects such as valves in your vehicles heads; a known round surface face) and using it as the standard. I like glass for lapping. I have a starrett marble top standard at work, but have found that a piece of glass works just as good. You lay your media (that's "sandpaper") and lay it on the glass, then you move the HS on the media. It's important to move the HS parallel to the surface, or you'll be sanding the base at an angle. That'll make the HS sit lop sided, and the mounting method may or may not work then. Either way, it's not really good.

Polishing may have it's benifits, but theoritically I've doubted it for a while. A perfecly shiney polish job will remove all the micro-grooves out of the contact surface. Now, in theory, you want to cram as much surface area into that small contact area as possible. Not gouges, but some evenly done micro grooves left behing from a machine or your media can't be all that bad IMO. If you look at a swiftech(I think) HS, you'll see that the pins on it have grooves kinda like screwbolts...this is additional surface area. Also, extensive engineering on the IHS on both Intel and AMD procs has found that the surface they ship with is the perfect medium for heat transfer, and it ain't shiney. Either way, the way they come from the retailer is important, but I wouldn't go further than lapping the base and skip any polishing steps.

I'll try and come up with some 5 minute mods and pop back in. My 5-min mods turn into all nighters, so I'll try and condense them to what a normal person may do...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:03 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

First off chumly, i have never seen any1 write so much about something they didn't like. lol, but anyway these mods are not meant to make huge differences in your system. They are simply simple ways to minutely improve things. A penny saved is a penny earned.

About the drive stealthing, if you want quality drive stealthing, by all means don't do this mod. This one is a simple freebie that is not hard nor permanent. If you dot like it simply take it off. What i forgot to include is if you look on the sides of your cd rom drive, there are little clips that if you push in, will snap your drive faceplate off. If you do that before and, it will make the stealthing look more authentic.

About the heat sink, I was talking about the bottom of the heat sink, not the waffled texture area. And if you use fine textured sand paper, its very hard to ruin the metal. Yet as you said it can be a little risky. Yoshi featured this on screen savers, and it will cool down you cpu, buy 2-3 degrees.

The grate clipping, yes it can be risky if you have a high rpm fan, yes it can help airflow. There is no problem here if you exercise caution while reaching behind your case while your computer is running. If you are careful, there is no issues.

Congrats chumly, you have just summoned my longest post. Maybe I didn't explain things in enough detail in my original post. Sorry bout that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:19 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

gamerfreak wrote:
OCNoob wrote:

lol i was serious

wtf? I didnt say that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:22 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

yeah u did, u edited afterwards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:01 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

gamerfreak wrote:
The grate clipping, yes it can be risky if you have a high rpm fan, yes it can help airflow. There is no problem here if you exercise caution while reaching behind your case while your computer is running. If you are careful, there is no issues.

Just put a grille on each side and your set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:16 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

willah wrote:

Just put a grille on each side and your set.

But the wgole point is for no grills for maximum airflow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:17 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

gamerfreak wrote:

No, i didnt say that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:21 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

OCNoob wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:

No, i didnt say that.

well, idk wtf happened then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:04 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

gamerfreak wrote:
First off chumly, i have never seen any1 write so much about something they didn't like. lol, but anyway these mods are not meant to make huge differences in your system. They are simply simple ways to minutely improve things. A penny saved is a penny earned...Congrats chumly, you have just summoned my longest post. Maybe I didn't explain things in enough detail in my original post. Sorry bout that.

LOL...I always write long meandering posts. I got in a bad stint there a few years back of just posting over-simplified posts and ended up writting 5 more posts to explain in more detail. So...now days i just lay out one big nasty post. It's easy on the eyes, as really...it bores people halfway through and only the extremist can read all the way through:D Hahaha!

I didn't mean to kill the thread, I just waited a while to see if it would do it itself..then add my counterpoints. I didn't want to jump on it in it's fledgling hours:) Anyway, I'm bored at work. I'd rather talk in the forums than to my co-workers. All that's here yesterday and today are programmers, and they're weird.

Oh, and I lied...I can't think of any 5 minute mods. I stink!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:49 am 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

OCNoob wrote:
gamerfreak wrote:
OCNoob wrote:

lol i was serious

wtf? I didnt say that...

what the hell why does it say ocnoob wrote "lol i was serious"... i wrote that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:43 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

/hickup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:40 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Just never you mind.

Post subject: Re: 5 minute mods
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:12 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

gamerfreak wrote:
#2 Better air flow

All as you need for this one is some heavy duty wire cutters for this one. Have you ever noticed the grills built into your case where you put case fans? These probably are some kinda like safety mechanism to keep children from sticking there fingers in the fan (or to save cat whiskers :twisted: ) Well with your cutter simply snip the edges up till it pops off. And if you like, you can smooth the jagged edges with a dremel.

I do this with all my cases. 'Cept I skip the wire cutter part and just take a dremel to it.
I recently did something similar to my CM Stacker, 'cept I didn't have to cut out the grille, I just unscrewed the fan and the grille was removable (Rear Exhaust grille)

They used a really fine mesh for theirs, couple that with the low speed fans they provide and you get piss-poor airflow. It's much better now. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:16 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

gamerfreak wrote:
But the wgole point is for no grills for maximum airflow

If you use standard fan grilles like these, you still get descent airflow, but with the reduced risk of wires/fingers hitting the fanblades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:23 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I don't think it would be five minutes but what about using a flourescent marker on your card traces? under black or UV light the glow is awsome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:51 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

5 minute mod- take a wee wee on your power supply

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:44 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Silly Rabbit :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:12 pm