PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:51 pm 

Wow Asome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:38 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I'd seen this before (not this one) and always was impressed with it but
cringe inwardly every time I see it. Know it's 'safe', but it goes against
the gut feeling seeing all those electrical components submerged in a liquid.

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:20 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

When that guy stirred the oil pouring onto the power supply with his finger I cringed a tad myself.

Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:13 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I cringed much, much more then a tad, my face was contorted with agony, until I saw it worked. Now i'm trying to figure out how much my dad would kill me if he saw me pouring a liquid into a fishtank with computer parts in it. (probably a lot)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:46 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I was in IRC and Monkey and someone else was wanting to do this. They were looking at fish tank products with bubbles and such...who was monkey talking too!?

I also have a desire to do this for the MPC LAN event in San Jose. I have about 100Gal of mineral oil from an oil change recently on our Main Transformer at work. I'm not huge on the idea, but it's interesting...right?

The GF works at tap plastics, and I have a total butt load of scrap lexans and poly carb. If interesting to ya'll, what color of a lexan case would be most appealing to ya????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:53 pm 

Wouldn,t that old oil be well contaminated so it might not work you know becuase of all the stuff in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:39 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

mmm wrote:
Wouldn,t that old oil be well contaminated so it might not work you know becuase of all the stuff in it.
What stuff? Transformers give off something mysterious? You wouldn't have power to your PC if that was true. I make it, and it's powered half of california just fine. I think a DC volt source will do fine.

This isn't an old '55 chevy oil change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:55 pm 

Well I don,t know much about genators but wouldn,t some dirt have gotten in it or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:05 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ya, and you'd be in the dark ages. Man invented Gaskets about 1,900 years ago.

It's good in A/C, it's super at D/C. Google the dielectric strength of oil. Cars run on it since they were invented...it's in every coil I know of prior to HEI.

[edit: don't appologize dude! Nothing to do such for! It's just a topic of discussion that needs nothing but comment!]

Last edited by Chumly on Sun May 27, 2007 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:23 pm 

Sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:12 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

mmm wrote:

Actually, older transformer oil can contain PCB's. Especially if it got real hot. PCB exposer is not really a nice thing. Basically, it doesn't do much - until later - when your skin becomes so sensitive to certain materials that it blisters - seemingly for no reason.

Modern oil is typically safe.

The amount of crap in the oil does matter to conductivity, but not as much as you may think.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:24 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

PCB levels are measured quite closely out here on the left coast. If you get within even a slight realm of messing with it, it's sampled to death.

This stuff in particular is changed on an annual basis just as perventive maintenance and has less than a handful of days on load. Last week it was ran through a series of passes just to check the contents, and it's basically new oil. It went in crystal clear, came out just as good.

It's not like everyone has old transformer oil out there, but the warnings are sane ;)

I've dealt with worse though, and that may explain my 13th toe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:59 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Chumly wrote:
I also have a desire to do this for the MPC LAN event in San Jose. I have about 100Gal of mineral oil from an oil change recently on our Main Transformer at work. I'm not huge on the idea, but it's interesting...right?

The GF works at tap plastics, and I have a total butt load of scrap lexans and poly carb. If interesting to ya'll, what color of a lexan case would be most appealing to ya????

I was thinking of doing a P0rno themed build using K-Y® Brand Warming Liquid. Think I'd make it into the Magazine?

(edit- Little Foot? WTF?)

Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:43 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Dang it! I was hoping that this cat wouldn't get out of the bag until I could reference it in my thread!

Chumly wrote:
I was in IRC and Monkey and someone else was wanting to do this. They were looking at fish tank products with bubbles and such...who was monkey talking too!?

Yup. Me and Roy are both going to make one. P.S. Did you find out what kind of mineral oil you had access to? Was it 70?

Course... Me and Roy are going to take it to the next level to account for some issues that will be prevelent in original.

Don't worry Manta, I'll do a write up. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:20 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Wolf wrote:
I was thinking of doing a P0rno themed build using K-Y® Brand Warming Liquid. Think I'd make it into the Magazine?

The idea is to COOL the parts, not WARM them up. Yes, I know, they aren't a woman's parts, but the same principle applies here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:27 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Cool paradox though...

Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:49 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

This seemed like an interesting idea, and being I have the needed materials, I figured I'd do some research into this subject. Mostly I am simply wondering, how much does actually cool down the parts in your computer? It seems like it would start to warm things up after a point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:56 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Parts are still for the Monkey's taking. More on demand I'm sure. She's bringing home scrap Lexan like prized kills.

I have no idea off the top of my head what oil I have. I'm in the garage at the moment, but that don't matter to me...it's oil! You'll sign a waiver that states I didn't give you cancer of course.

Going to the San Jose LAN? I'm hoping to...but I'll live if I don't. But I'll get it to ya soon if that's a goal. And if you do go, I'll slap geek heads with ya for kicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:16 am 

Chumly wrote:
I have no idea off the top of my head what oil I have. I'm in the garage at the moment, but that don't matter to me...it's oil! You'll sign a waiver that states I didn't give you cancer of course. [/quote[

LMAO! Sure. I'll sign it if it makes you feel better. lawl HOw many gallons do you have?

Quote:
Going to the San Jose LAN? I'm hoping to...but I'll live if I don't.

I don't think so. There would have to be something else drawing me to the area, which is always possible.