Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mousepads (I know, lame topic)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:08 pm 

I have just been using the surface of my desk as a mousepad for my mx700 mouse. It has been alright but I definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) get a sense of lag, and once in a awhile the pointer will just jump. Not to mention the feet of my mouse getting scarred up. I am planning on getting the MX1000 pretty soon, and want to keep in shape; so which pad do you recommend for the laser mouse.

Func 1030
Ratpadz GS
Icemat

I have heard good reviews for all of them, although I dont know how well the icemat would do with a laser mouse; just looking for some opinions from actual users or former users of any of these pads.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:12 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I haven't used any of the pads, but for my MX700 I put a white piece of paper on my desk. Battery life was greatly improved - might solve your lag problem for pennies on the dollar if you're not intent on getting a pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:39 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

why would paper save battery life? Is it easier for the optical to detect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a "FUZE" gaming surfice and I love it, although I have nothing to compare it to. I also have a MX700 and it makes gaming quite a bit smoother than a regular desktop surfice. I have good things about ratpads though.

Here's a link for the FUZE in case you wanna check it out.

Whatever you decide on, a gaming surfice is the way to go. I waited way too long before getting mine.

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:38 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:

Yes, but not because it's paper, but because it's white. The better the surface can illuminate and scatter light, the less 'work' your optical will have to do. Battery life can be significantly improved (depending upon what surface you're comparing to) and lag should be improved as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:37 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I have the ratpadz gs...it was great at first(super slick) but it wears the nylon pads down on the mouse and has wear spots where I use the mouse the most. Been using it for about 10months
I'll say this though, it does stay in place and hasen't cracked/broken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

One4yu2c wrote:
WhiteRabbit22 wrote:

Yes, but not because it's paper, but because it's white. The better the surface can illuminate and scatter light, the less 'work' your optical will have to do. Battery life can be significantly improved (depending upon what surface you're comparing to) and lag should be improved as well.

I figured it was because of the color...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:04 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

3 dollar compusa pad does its job fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:49 am 

I've got an cheapo mouse pad that works wonders for me, The big thing is that it has a gel thing for my wrist... so I can enjoy hours of gaming comforatably :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:31 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I used to have one of those, then I started using a different computer and now my wrist goes numb after I play CS for more than an hour. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:37 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Probably just the angle your wrist is resting at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:21 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I actually wanted to bring this up before, but was told in chat that it was an odd topic as everyone has their preferences...so i avoided it.

So...it all depends on what you do; I assume gamming. I do more than games, so I'll drop my 2-cents on both aspects (work and play). First, let me point out that the bluetooth-type MX's MAY have a lag that no pad can cure. I've just heard of a few members having response issues that I don't have with the standard mx700/1000.

For General use, I simply use a large piece of craft foam. I'm not sure what it should be called, but I found it in my daughter's closet and started using it on my keyboard tray. Of all the colors, I stuck with a light grey. Mainly for the same reasons One4 already pointed out, but I get white too dirty, too quick. I use this simply because it's large and comfy. If I just used the wood tray, I'd scratch it all up and I can replace this foam stuff cheaply (just go raid the closet monthly:p) I've tried spraying pledge on it for games, but it soaks it up within 30 minutes and it needs another shot. After a week or so of this, it gets nasty so I use a real pad for games.

Oh ya, games! I use a RatpadzGS, but it's some off-edition from FrozenCPU for a couple bucks more. I have no idea if it's better than the standard GS and I see nothing visual to tell them apart besides the frozenCPU label. With the MX700 (and basically all the logitech opticals I've had), the little feet fall off. Another mystery, but with my faithful 700, the rear pad wore thin and one on the right fell off. So, I bought some teflon mice feet over at FrozenCPU to cover the spots. It comes in a strip and you just cut little pieces off...and it's slick as shit on the Ratpadz BTW. I also tried using pledge on the Ratpadz, and it's just too damned slick for my tastes in FPS's. I adjust the sensitivity in-game, so maybe if it was at the default level, the pledge would be perfect. Oh, and if it matters, I have a polygraphix (it has a different spelling, I'm sure) cover for it. It just adds a graphix to the boring black surface.

I also recently just got the mx1000 and have yet to see any real difference with being better with one pad or another. But I do see that this one likes black shiny desk surfaces where the opticals would not respond.

I've tried the C4 cover prior to the polyGFX (or whatever) and didn't see what the fuss was about. It was slick, but again...maybe "slick" isn't for me.

And I've stuck with the Ratpadz unit basically because everything else was loud and the "clack-clack-clack" got old at 2am...and not just me:p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:02 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Chumly wrote:
So, I bought some teflon mice feet

how are they?

I need some bad before I wear flat spots on my ratpadz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

me too, im down to 1 pad on my mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:42 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Honostly, they work...what else can I say:D I went from a working mouse, to a worn-down mouse, to a worn-down mouse with 3 feet. At that time anything would feel better...lol.

Bur really, I think they're just perfect and I instantly threw some on the mx1000. Mainly to wear out the Teflon prior to tearing up the mouse feet, which I know won't last a year with me. I think I change them every other month or quarter as they still wear as well. But at least they give you enough for a couple changes.

Oh, and maybe I don't care much about the site of the teflon hanging out, but I cut the stuff in about 3/8" squares as I think it sticks better. My first attempt, I just made itty-bitty pieces and they fell off. And, well, the MX700 I had always seemed to fight the charger cradle, so I don't think the new feet hurt it any, and the 1000 still sits in it's cradle fine. (FYI: my 700's contacts have to be cleaned regularly or it doesn't want to charge by just dropping it in the cradle...or you have to wiggle it a bit. I thought it was the new feet, but turns out I just get the contacts dirty as a little q-tip and contact cleaner get's it back to charging right)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:41 am 
Northwood
Northwood

cool...I tried all kinds of things to get the slickness back, those pads sound like just the ticket

thanks dude :D