Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Water cooling
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:39 pm 

I am thinking about moving into the world of water cooling my CPU. I have no experience in water cooling so I dont know which company, or product for that matter, is the best. I have been reading reviews from toms and harocp and have been getting mixed opinions; just looking for some first-hand know-how into the subject and what you think is a good route to take.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:23 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

DangerDen RBX water block (I can't say which cause I don't know what CPU you have):
Athlon 64
Socket478
Socket A

Swiftech Pump (I have an older model of this same pump)

Radiator

Then some hoses, a reservoir and clamps. Oh, and water and coolant additive. And for the love of pete, go to your hardware store and get real metal clamps that you screw on. Don't fuck around with cheap plastic clamps.

The reservoir is optional, some people say not to use one, others swear by it. I personally use one because it simplifies things.

I have the above setup with the P4 block and I have my 2.4C at 3.2 right now and it's rock solid stable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:18 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Can you explain or post a link to a site that explains exactly how water cooling works? I just don't have experience in this aspectand would like to start, and maybe make my own, home made(is that possible?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:59 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Water cooling uses water instead of air to cool the processor (and/or the chipset and/or the GPU). The water block takes the place of the heatsink. Then you set up a system for the water to flow in. The water flows from a pump into a radiator, which cools the water, then into the water block. From the water block(s) it goes to the erservoir if you have one.

The water block heats up via the processor, and the water that flows through it maintains the low temperature you want. If you want, you can have the water go through a water block on the system chipset and/or a GPU water block. Mounting a water cooling system is easy, the manufacturer will tell you how to install the water block.

Bear in mind that water cooling doesn't mean you don't still use air. I have a 120mm fan mounted on my radiator to help cool the water flowing through it. But the nice thing is that that 120mm fan moves a lot of air given its low noise factor.

A water cooling system can cost up to $200. I spent a bit more than that to get mine going.

If you have any other questions, just pipe up :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:13 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

HK-47 wrote:
DangerDen RBX water block (I can't say which cause I don't know what CPU you have)

I disagree with this recomendation. The TDX is only a degree hotter in reviews and it does so with less complexity(1 inlet,1 outlet). The TDX IMO is the block to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:33 pm 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

IamDeMan wrote:
HK-47 wrote:
DangerDen RBX water block (I can't say which cause I don't know what CPU you have)

I disagree with this recomendation. The TDX is only a degree hotter in reviews and it does so with less complexity(1 inlet,1 outlet). The TDX IMO is the block to use.

As long as you use the metal clamps to secure your hoses, it's not that difficult.

But either or :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:15 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Would it be possible to make a home made water cooling system, or should I just say screw it and buy one? Which one would be cheaper/better quality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:07 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Well you pretty much need to buy the water block. As for the rest, it's really up to you, but I found that trying to scare up a pump, reservoir and radiator to be far more trouble than it's worth; buying the components is much easier.

I would not buy a kit, I'd get the parts I mentioned earlier, perhaps with a different water block as Iamdeman mentioned.

Just make sure you get everything with the same ID (inner diameter). You don't want to be switching from 1/2 inch ID to 3/8 and back. This means get only one size of hose - I recommend 1/2" ID tubing - and fixtures that correspond to that size - 1/2" OD barb fittings (1/2" ID tubing works with 1/2" OD fittings).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:24 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
Would it be possible to make a home made water cooling system, or should I just say screw it and buy one? Which one would be cheaper/better quality?

I agree with HK. If you are new to it - just buy a kit. You can mod it later. After you understand completly how it works and what the important issues are.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:23 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

HK-47 wrote:
As long as you use the metal clamps to secure your hoses, it's not that difficult.

But either or :)

I would NEVER use those damn plastic BS clamps they sell. I think the case is a bit tidier and easier to work with when there is less tubing, but yes both options would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:43 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Well covered already...cool! And HK's in here! woot

I dislike kits, but will say that it's much easier for first-timers to get the basics. The sad part is that it's not a top line work of art that is any good at what water is all about...Overclocking. The only thing I see of an advantage with a "cheaper" kit is that you can now run silently, and finally be playing in water.

If I were to buy a kit, though, it'd have to be a koolance exos or an Innovatek. I see others around, and If I were at home instead of at work still, I could give some links.

But...for me, it's buying each piece and build/design the rig myself. I like Hardware labs Black Ice radiators, DangerDen and Asetek waterblocks (I use the TDX's, and the silver one isn't worth the extra $$), and ehiem HPPS 12v pump. there's smaller pumps, but I've just grown to favor this work horse over the last year. For lines, I have yet to go up to the 1/2" stuff and still use 3/8". As long as it doesn't kink, you really are fine. You could use whatever you want and it doesn't have to be clear, but clear DOES make it easy on checking for water bubbles or gunk (if you're not much on maintenance). Oh, reservoirs...I've only used Innovatek tank-o-matic brands when purchased. This last case I decided to make my own for the top of the CM stacker area. Have a copper, aluminum, and a stainless one to pick from. I'm currently running the copperone for trials. You could use a pop bottle for all it matters...just seal it up. Reservoirs aren't even needed at all. Some like "t-lines" where you just put a "T" in the line for filling/purging.

Overclockers.com has a big database to dig through. Then dig through here on some of our conversations into water cooling and it's a good start. But all in all, a water rig just circulates water over the cpu (block) and carries away heat for disposal (radiator). Everything else is the to-and-froms. The largest thing to worry about for a beginner is not being in a hurry in assembly and insure that your water cooling rig will never ever ever ever leak. Otherwise, even the best system will shut down from having all the smoke let out of the CPU and motherboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:19 am 
Team Member
Team Member

ok, ive never messed with watercooling, but i have looked at kits and waterblocks and stuff a lot.

i was wondering why nobody has made a waterblock with "heatsink fins" (i guess that's what theyre called) and fans just like a normal air cooling system, but have the water running thru it. i dont think it would be too big considering the size of some of the heatsinks you see these days. wouldnt that offer better cooling?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:06 am 
Team Member
Team Member

do you mean have the water going through the heatsink fins? that would restrict water flow a lot. an I guess the only reason is because most inlet/outlet barbs are on top, so there isn't any room to put fins or a fan. but I guess they could make that sorta thing where the water flow isn't restricted and the water flows in from the side, not the top. who knows, maybe you could make oyur own like this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:31 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

XHAOS wrote:
ok, ive never messed with watercooling, but i have looked at kits and waterblocks and stuff a lot.

i was wondering why nobody has made a waterblock with "heatsink fins" (i guess that's what theyre called) and fans just like a normal air cooling system, but have the water running thru it. i dont think it would be too big considering the size of some of the heatsinks you see these days. wouldnt that offer better cooling?

Possibly. But the speed with that water flows over the inside of the waterblock at really gets the heat away from the core very quickly. Fins or pins would slow down the water flow since you'd virtually guarantee turbulent flow.

If you wanted a really slow flowing system you could possibly use fins, but you'd have to balance that against the desire to move the warm water away from the block as fast as possible. Add to this that most systems have the CPU vertical, and you can see that in a slow flow system, hot water will move to the top of the block and the CPU will end up with an uneven heat profile, which will screw up your ability to monitor heat in a serious way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:43 am 
Team Member
Team Member

no, i mean have the inlet come in on 1 side and the outlet go out on the other (instead of the top, maybe at an angle for mobo clearance) and have the fins/fan on top of the water block, not where the water would run thru them. mainly just to keep the water block cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:24 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

XHAOS wrote:
no, i mean have the inlet come in on 1 side and the outlet go out on the other (instead of the top, maybe at an angle for mobo clearance) and have the fins/fan on top of the water block, not where the water would run thru them. mainly just to keep the water block cooler.

There's no need to keep the water block any cooler since you have a radiator with a fan on it for that purpose. That's where the water dissipates its heat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

wouldnt it just add more cooling tho?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

maybe a little, but I don't think it would cool it any more to the point where you would see a difference in performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:30 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

ahh, ive never even seen it tried on any modding sites or anything, figured maybe it would be worth a try. but if it wont increase performance much, then it wouldnt be worth all the extra work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

here's something interesting. They DO make waterblocks with fans on them. I was browsing for a water cooling kit and found this. I'm not sure how much the fan helps, but that is a nice little compact system. I think they may have put it on there for looks also.