Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: acryllic cases
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 4:04 am 

I just recently built my first computer, I loved it. Now I am interested in building an acryllic case from scratch. Is it difficult to do ?

Also I have seen some adds for UV reflective acryllic cases, wouldnt they all be UV sensitive ?

Know any good info sites ?

Thanks in advance guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:15 am 
Team Member
Team Member

No, not all acrylic cases are UV reactive. They're simple to assemble, usually only require one tool and about 15 minutes of your time. I use LogiSys cases for my special order etched clear cases. (You can see them on my site Here. by clicking on blank cases and view one example of an etched UV case in the Titan area). But if you just want a stock acrylic case, UV or not, it's no big deal to put them together, real easy work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:56 pm 

I have seen the kits you can buy and I really dont think they are worth it. When I said I wanted to build one, I meant from scratch, going to a store to buy a sheet of acryllic and starting from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:10 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Building with acrylic is TOUGH. It scratches easily, cracks easily, and is hard to cut without making it look like ass. That being said, knock yourself out :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:10 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i wouldnt suggest soing that at all. computer cases look basic but they really arent. they are all build to spec (ATX) and unless you feel like doing some major measuring and geometry and devoting major time then go for it. if not then just buy a kit and be happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:12 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

The drive mounting is the hardest part............................. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:15 pm 

well it wouldnt have to fit any kind of drives, mobo or such, as I already have those items. So I would be building to suit the items I have. That said, still a tough proposition ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:54 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i doubt most of the great modders on this board could do that and have it come out as one would invision it. it really is tougher then u think. its not jsut a box with 3 rectangles cut out for cds and stuff. heres your homework assignment. measure teh dimensions of everything in your computer and geometrically figure out where all the monting holes go in relation to each other. once u do that then its fabrication. how are you going to attach the pieces of plexi so that it can hold all the stuff and not colapse reuining everything in it. how are you going to mount the motherboard? how are you going to mount drives so that their removable? and dont forget you need good airflow. i'd say buy a kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:56 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Building a case is no small undertaking. Everything has to be just right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:01 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Bah, it's not as tough as they're making it sound, it might come under the heading of "advanced modding" but it is far from impossible. The biggest problem you'll have other than getting the measurements down is the cutting, there are special drill bits and jigsaw blades you can use for working with acrylic that'll help, you should also wear gloves at all times when you're working with the acrylic. But as far as conforming to ATX standards, well, that's not a big deal really. You'll have to build a drive cage that'll hold the drives, just drill your holes in the top and bottom of the case at the proper distance and you'll have that down, drilling the holes for mounting the drives isn't so hard, just make slits, then you can adjust the forward/backward positioning of the drives so they fit right. Measure the height and do some dry erase marking to note the proper placement for the vertical spacing. The next problem will be the rear openings, that'll be hard. But impossible? Nah, I don't think so. You could either fudge it and use one that already exists for a acrylic case or, just take your time and cut carefully but it can be done. But this isn't the best place to go for help with these kinds of problems. This site is more of an overall computer site, you should visit some of the modding sites, like case mod god, pheatons and so forth. I've got links to several of the better modders sites on mine, http://www.infinity-customs.com though I don't recommend my own site, my forums are dog dead. Casemodgod.com has very active and friendly as heck forums though. You could get a lot of help there.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:18 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

I like your site Insane Modder, but i think you should put pictures of you work on ur site, so people can see your work. Could draw more customers. Just a suggestion though. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:23 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i'm sure you could build one from scratch insane, as well as other people on the boards but from the few words i've read of his i take from it he's new to moding and he's only come into it now that he's built his first computer. to naomuth i'd suggest buying a kit and putting it together, then mod it, get the feel for things. then once you have some tool time under your belt (and money in your pockets) go out and buy some sheets of acryllic and see what comes of it. be sure to post your adventures and take plenty of pics, we'll help you along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Possibly, I don't know his level of skill, but yeah, if you're totally new to it it might be beyond your abilities just yet. But I don't like to discourage people from trying, you never know, he might just have a natural talent for it and pick it up easily.

As for pics, I keep the pics on the site on the left side, there aren't a lot at the moment but it'll grow eventually. The problem is mostly that I saved a ton of them on my laptop and the damned thing isn't working now and I've gotta get it up and running again to put the pics back. I lost a lot of the site since then due to a goofup on my part. <shrug> But the Titan and Necronomicase are on there. ALong with some project concepts and so forth.

Mike