Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Chumly - Painting PC Case, the green stuff?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:59 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm curious about the masking material that you used. What is it called, where can you get it, do they have a web site?

I've been considering getting into case painting myself, and after watching a lot of the Discovery Channel (American Chopper, Monster Garage) and TLC (OverHaulin' , Rides) I'm really itching at trying to do some experimenting with painting / masking / pinstriping, etc. Everytime I see those fantastic paint jobs, I can't help but say to myself, " Whoa! I want to be able to do that."

I've been reading up on various aspects of the custom auto painting at a number of websites. One of the things I was checking into was the different masking materials used. Most of the painters on the above TV shows use the yellow sheeting. I read about the green stuff somewhere, but was in too much of a hurry to bookmark the site. Now I can't find it again. :cry:

How is the green sheeting better than the yellow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:42 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]
Million Club 2+ [PC]

bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:25 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

It sounds like you are talking about painters tape. Its pretty much just green masking tape but easier to peel off things. I use masking tape and paper to make all my lines though.

Post subject: Re: Chumly - Painting PC Case, the green stuff?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:50 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Wow...Sept!? So damned sorry I didn't see this, and thanks for the bump!

Rooke wrote:
I'm curious about the masking material that you used. What is it called, where can you get it, do they have a web site?
Automotive grade masking tape. That may not be the correct term, but that's my best guess. It's in every Paint dealer that deals with automotive paint. I think it's 3M brand, but it's the only green masking tape that I know of. I use it as the brown stuff is TOO sticky, and can harm fresh paint. The green stuff is favored by every painter I know of, and I just use it for everything.
Quote:
...I'm really itching at trying to do some experimenting with painting / masking / pinstriping, etc. Everytime I see those fantastic paint jobs, I can't help but say to myself, " Whoa! I want to be able to do that."
And I say go for it! I have no idea why painting is thought of as off-limits for so many folks. I think I had a Devillbis gun in my hand before my 10th birthday:p But it's just as easy as it looks. The hard part is all in the planning and prepwork (which includes funding). When i was starting off, I had really no instruction other than mimicking my dad. I knew of a van conversion shop a few blocks away, and I'd go over to their alley and take their leftover sheetmetal from them cutting out windows. i practiced on that stuff. It just progresses from there with designs and what you can do with tape, and fundimental arts (color selection is still huge in my book)

Quote:
I've been reading up on various aspects of the custom auto painting at a number of websites. One of the things I was checking into was the different masking materials used. Most of the painters on the above TV shows use the yellow sheeting. I read about the green stuff somewhere, but was in too much of a hurry to bookmark the site. Now I can't find it again.How is the green sheeting better than the yellow?
Not too sure here at all. Again, if an automotive paint dealer sells it, then I'd put the odds on that it's the correct stuff. As far as sheeting goes, I still use white stuff. The basic point you need to consider is paint bleeding through the paper. in the old days, we used newspaper, and I found out over the years that this isn't really good. I guess I didn't notice as many of my colors used in my younger days were dark. But that paper I use is like butcher's paper; it's thick and not porous (sp?). Paint won't bleed on through and get what you perfectly masked. Yellow may be something special, but I don't know about it yet. I'm not a pro like those guys are (I don't earn a living laying down $20K paintjobs) and find the white stuff I'm using to be adiquate.

So, basically, I use the green tape and standard sheeting. That's if we're talking about the paper on the roll. Since you don't want to waste time masking, say, an entire door; you use the large paper and only mask it on the edges...follow?

But I think I had mentioned before the cost factor of painting. but don't let that get ya. Don't get caught up in the DeVillbis/Sharp/SATA namebrand gimick yet. I have a really good cheap gun I bought on this job as I left my SATA 4 hours north on the first weekend I started this project. I went to my old paint shop and picked up this $130 SATA knock-off, and was really surprised on how good it was. I think the brand name is "ADvanced" or something. DeVillbis also has a cheaper line called "finish line" that sell at about that, and they have plastic baggies that really helps on cleanup (you spend 10x the amount of time cleaning as you do spraying!) Neither are as good as a SATA LM, but it was still worth twice what I payed I imagine. Anyway, I like HVLP, Gravity feed guns for everything now.

Read the directions on the cans for mixing and at what pressure to spray at, but even experiment with that. I hardly follow the directions anymore due to playing around over the years and finding I may like pressures higher on the second coat, then way lower than recommended for the clear. That's just me.

I'll pay attention closer to this, and really hope that others try there hands at serious painting. Leave the Rattle-Cans to lesser sites like [H]ardOCP, MPC uses the real stuff! LOL...I'll follow up if you need help or some tips...but find a reputable automotive paint dealer, then walk in and see if the counter person talks or just sells. My counter guys have turned into real buddies over time, and have helped me on new adventures (like this aluminum job). Price out some cheap stuff, and see if you can get something together. remember, it's not just for computer cases really...if you get good, paint your buddies cars! I made good weekend money through highschool and college (think $300-600 on a saturday night) and still do. In the pics I had up, I was painting my bud's Kawasaki which was worth more than a grand, and it was all in my spare time. (and people here STILL seem to be curious on how I afford a computer hobby:D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:02 pm 

Chumly! I cannot view the pics in your painting a pc case post... did you remove them from your server? I never got a chance to see them, can you post them again? Thanx. :D

Sandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:05 pm 

and another thing... do you know any places that rent the spray guns? thanx.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:58 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

ssasal wrote:
Chumly! I cannot view the pics in your painting a pc case post... did you remove them from your server? I never got a chance to see them, can you post them again? Thanx. :D

Sandra
Comcast sucked a bit, so I switched and never transfered the pics. I'm going back on the 19th, so hopefully they'll just magically start working again.

And no...renting paintguns isn't really an option.

I really hope to get pictures rolling again...it's so hard to try and explain topics like this without pics. (and shutterbug and such isn't an option really when I try to partake in about 20 threads at a time:p)