Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:12 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i was mainly talking about the coolness factor, anybody can just stick a small fan in the back ... but yeah, a 10 - 12" fan would be better, but louder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I dunno, it might be better to have a big 10-12 fan set on REALLY low since it would:

1) move more air with less noise
2) better handle the range of the heat output of my comp (I have heat coming out of the psu and midway up the tower from videocard/proc. It would be better to have the the hot air pulled directly out rather than have it have to move around before escaping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:01 am 
Team Member
Team Member

urmumsacow wrote:
didnt have the time to go out and get a new blade. its not too big a deal really. I dunno about this whole "test" psu idea, it seems like it would produce alot of heat just to power 2-3 fans. Also thats a whole PSU ive gotta put somewhere... psu's are menat to power big beefy computers, not a few fans.

do what i did, find a really old computer in the trash or something, keep all the parts for modding, and use the estimated 50-175 watt PSU that comes with it. not too much power, not to much heat. besides, maybe you could use the PSU for other things as well. you cant find small PSUs in stores now a days. they are all giant monsters that give enough power to fry a racoon in seconds. (been there, done that)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:41 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

what about the noise? its gotta have some sort of fan to cool itself right? Or would it be alright since its only powering a few fans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

i ripped the fan out of my test psu only because I dont put enough hardware on it to tax it enough to get hot. I would mount the "test ps" somewhere like on the back of the desk and run the wires inside to the fans.

have we thought of just running a line from the psu in your computer to the fans outside? you could do that if your psu has enough power. either way you need to get some sort of airflow in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:51 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

that notch in the bottom could be used for an air inlet...maybe cover it with a brass/copper plate or if you can find one, a huge hooded drawer pull like on the old file cabinets

like this but not exactyly this one:

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Prod ... uctID=2707

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:34 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

WhiteRabbit22 wrote:
i ripped the fan out of my test psu only because I dont put enough hardware on it to tax it enough to get hot. I would mount the "test ps" somewhere like on the back of the desk and run the wires inside to the fans.

have we thought of just running a line from the psu in your computer to the fans outside? you could do that if your psu has enough power. either way you need to get some sort of airflow in there.

While I HAVE thought of that, I also want to have the freedom to take my comp out at any time. This would make things harder because it would take while to hookup/unhook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

JAFAH5150 wrote:
that notch in the bottom could be used for an air inlet...maybe cover it with a brass/copper plate or if you can find one, a huge hooded drawer pull like on the old file cabinets

like this but not exactyly this one:

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Prod ... uctID=2707

You mean the one in the front? Possibly, though as I said I want to cut down on noise as much as possible. So sealing the front is probably the best way of doing that. As for the back I was thinking of having bottom fans/that slot suck air in while blowing it out at the top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:58 am 
Team Member
Team Member

i found a solution to your power to fan problem.

PCI Power Rail

just use that and put the fans in the back of the desk. no extra power supply, no messy wiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hmmm... I may just get one of those. Thanks for the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:17 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

no problem, i may get one too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Why not do something more radical? Open the back like you want and put in some kind of fan, whatever is quiet enough to suit you. But then you'll be in effect creating a vortex in there, it'll have less of an effect than you think, you need for that air to be able to circulate, so, why not chop the front door and place some black mesh in the front of it where the hole is? Something like this for instance.

Really would be very easy to do, just cut out the square and attach black mesh from the inside, that'll let the air flow through and help cool things down.

-mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:35 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, while that is a novel idea, the whole point of this contraption was to make things quiet. How much quiter will things be if Ive got a massive hole in the front of my enclosure? I think if I have some fans blowing in while some blow out things will be ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:50 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Depends really, it would still be quieter but not as quiet as totally enclosing it, but then, you just can't expect to be able to do that and maintain reasonable temperatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:27 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

urmumsacow wrote:
Well, while that is a novel idea, the whole point of this contraption was to make things quiet. How much quiter will things be if Ive got a massive hole in the front of my enclosure? I think if I have some fans blowing in while some blow out things will be ok.

http://www.buyextras.com/suac1112fanw.html
http://www.buyextras.com/b50dc12vmale.html

Quiet fans

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:59 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

expensive, and I wonder how loud. 45 decibels is quiet audible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:24 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

urmumsacow wrote:
expensive, and I wonder how loud. 45 decibels is quiet audible.

A normal conversation is 86 Db

I am not sure what 46 is. They move a lot of air though :)

I saw a quiet green house fan - but it was $140.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Here's some things to keep in mind.

For one, wood resonates, which is why musical instruments are made out of wood. Certain wood resonates more than other wood but all wood resonates, so any fan you attach to it will be amplified, espically since you're putting it inside that encloser area which actually acts as a form of sound chamber. So technically you're increasing the volume by using that enclosure.

That being said there's a solution. Sound dampening foam. You can find it at higher end audio stores or online. http://www.soundprooffoam.com/ This is a site that sells some. You could line the interior of that space with acoustic foam, cut out holes where you'll be placing the fans (run the screws to mount those fans THROUGH the foam, don't let the fans or the housings of the fans touch the wood, the same for the computer case as well, let everything touch only the foam. This will cut the sound down immensly, it may even make it quieter than a mouse depending on the quality of the acoustic foam you use. You can also cut down on the noise by using similar sound dampening pads that are made to mount with each of your case's fans, also, using 120mm fans over 80mm fans helps. 1 120mm fan moves more air than 2 80mm fans and produces less noise. So swapping out say, 2 80mm fans in one location in favor of one 120mm fan will lower the noise and actually give you better airflow.

Post subject: Hmmmm...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:03 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

All of these posts have been putting my mind to working here...

I was thinking about this and I have an actual computer desk, but the area to store the unit doesn't have good airflow circulation. I was wondering how to increase airflow in that area to begin with.
I've been toying with the idea to cut a portion of the front of the door out, and rebuild it to put in metal venting, possibly brass or gold colored to match the metal on the desk.
I could then cut the back out, and then make something to mount an older PSU I have laying around and then use that to wire up a couple of basic 120 mm fans, one on the inside of where the chair area is where the wires go, and maybe another one or two 120 mm fans in the back of the desk. From there I could wire them to the old PSU.
If I can get the cash and the parts for this I'll give you guys an update and see if this works. It definitely sounds like a fun project to take on.

AGN Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hey guys,
I know this is an old topic but I had a similiar problem with heat in my desk. I solved it by running up to the local Radio Shack and purchased a 120vac fan 120mm and a lighted rocker switch and a small project box to mount the switch into. I cut a hole for the fan in back of the desk and wired it directly to the AC outlet. The switch was located inside the cabinet at the front. The only time I turn the fan off is when I'm gone for vacation or away for extended periods of time. Otherwise it is on 24/7.
Just take note that with the fan sucking the air out of the back, you'll need an opening in the cabinet to draw fresh air from, ideally directly on the opposite side of the cabinet.

The fans usually last a little over a year before the sleeve bearings start squawking...

GL