Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

The next Dream Machine...Vendor or Loyal Readers?
Vendor Built? ie; Silverstone, CoolerMaster, Lian Li, etc. 38%  38%  [ 9 ]
Loyal Readers - Blood, Sweat, Tears, and the odd brewski. 63%  63%  [ 15 ]
Total votes : 24
 Post subject: A thought for the MaximumPC Heads to ponder.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:10 am 

I'm not 100% sure on this, but have all the Dream Machines been built with a case from a vendor? Now, my thought is this - would MaximumPC consider using a home-built case sent in by its readers? Have kinda like a contest with prizes or even have the winner walk-away with his/her winning case and all the goodies that went in it! That might have been a bit much. :) I'm sure there would be a lot of details to get this bird of the ground, but it's just a thought. You get the idea.

Post subject: Re: A thought for the MaximumPC Heads to ponder.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:45 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

[quote="FeArEd"][/quote]

I voted with you, but they won't go for it. They are not modder's at MPC. Now, they *might* be convinced to use a one off case by a well known modder like Dehurra. That would be closer - and kewl at that. Even Chumly's case, though I doubt he considers himself well known, would be perfect for them. He's a reader, its a stock case on the inside so they don't have to get thier hands dirty, and its looking good so far.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:00 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I feel the idea of MPC's DM's are items that Joe Schmoe can purchase. Modding a case using homemade parts, however cool, would be against the grain IMO.

Post subject: The next Dream Machine...Vendor or Loyal Readers?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:21 pm 

Well, how about this...keep the DreamMachine project the way it is and have a seperate project where readers send in their cases to fight for the best mod? Have the rules set for a specified range in size, weight, and NO prefab frames, etc. Doesn't have to be an annual thing, just a one-time deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:48 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Chumly wrote:
I feel the idea of MPC's DM's are items that Joe Schmoe can purchase. Modding a case using homemade parts, however cool, would be against the grain IMO.

True, but how about next year the theme is "Screw the Rules/Tradition"? :D

Post subject: Re: The next Dream Machine...Vendor or Loyal Readers?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:20 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

FeArEd wrote:
...a seperate project where readers send in their cases to fight for the best mod?
The "Sending" part sucks to high heaven. I wouldn't ship off a $3K rig that I've busted my balls on for over 3 months just to duke it out in some mag.

And I'm very disappointed in that Coolermaster just did something like this. The winner was some pile of shit IMO and shown no real effort, while there were many others that looked awesome and took a real creative side to build, recieved zero votes. I sent my pictures in, and didn't get one fregg'n vote. I'm not pissed about not winning, but when the un-original mod that won took over 175 votes...it just disturbs me, that's all.

The rules would be too hard anyway. Who would vote? Six mag staffers? An entire forum? All the readers? Until the taste of readers increase, there'll always be a 75% increase in votes in anything with a CCT. Never mind the guy that creates a PC with a flux capacitor that can travel time...if it don't glow, it won't get a vote:p

Yup, I'm disgruntled with the mod community in general. With all the work I see in MPC's forum, I'm very impressed. Then you leave this safe-haven and see junk with drones drooling over a $1.52 LED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:32 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

ocnoob wrote:
Chumly wrote:

True, but how about next year the theme is "Screw the Rules/Tradition"? :D
It would be dismissed as a one-off that anyone with a fat wallet could do. I mean, they could have JPL build a really high tech case, Jesse James make some blinged-up pieces for it, and stuff it full of parts shipped in through wormholes from 2023, and it really wouldn't be worth reading as no one else could ever imagine having anything resembling it.

I am comparing this on the level of a Ferrari 575M Maranello vs. an F2004 655 F-1 car. I'm more interested in reading about a 575M as, in a very slight chance in hell, I could possibly own one and park it in my garage. Reading about an F-1 only gives me a glimpse of what is possible in engineering at it's extremes. "Cool, but what does it do for me?? The thing won't even idle at a stoplight I bet" *turns the page*

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:53 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Chumly wrote:
And I'm very disappointed in that Coolermaster just did something like this. The winner was some pile of shit IMO and shown no real effort, while there were many others that looked awesome and took a real creative side to build, recieved zero votes.

Yep. Jinxzz, with his custom built enclosure and 56 fans, got a whopping 2 votes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:25 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I thought the whole point of the Dream Machine was to put together the most expensive rig from the best of the "off the shelf" parts that technically anybody could buy? ( If they had the $$$ )

It seems to me that that is exactly what they've been doing.

But, an additional contest/feature for home modders does sound like a great idea.

And, not just cases, but maybe different events like the most OC'ed CPU/GPU, bus, ram; the coldest case, the most bling-bling, the tidiest cabling, etc. Or maybe really weird/extreme mods like using full-sized refrigerator condensor and coils, or a case made out of custom 360mm fans.

Who knows? Maybe somebody will come up with an idea that the entire PC world could use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:47 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Rooke wrote:
I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I thought the whole point of the Dream Machine was to put together the most expensive rig from the best of the "off the shelf" parts that technically anybody could buy? ( If they had the $$$ )

Not exactly - give me 40K - I can kick any 10K machines ass. It a bit subjective really.

Its more like what could a typical person build with off the shelf parts in a traditional manner.

Yet, with 40K, I could build a 5 proc system tha runs OSX, Linux, and XP all at full spec and talking nice to each other in one box. Thats a dream machine - but it does take 40K. So money is not the only issue.

Of course it depends on how you define a computer. I would have 4 MB's in one box internally networked.

So, the definition of a DM is vague.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Better idea... Set a budget, that way it's all based on talent and not on who's got the fattest wallet. Or run a contest prior to the ROTY that has people sending in photos of their best work which are voted on by other readers and the top 3 vote getters are each given an amount to build their version of the ultimate rig. They can't spend more and have to make due with what they have available and their own skills. Then they drop ship those rigs to MPC and they're put to the test for their performance, the results are published in an issue along with the pics of the custom designs and based on both the looks and the performance, we the readers vote on a winner. The three finalists could get to keep their rigs after the contest and the grand prize winner could get... Well, something special, I don't know what. But that'd be cool. Call it "The Great Modder Build Off" :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:25 am 
No Hope = No Fear
No Hope = No Fear

don't take it personally, but i think the Falcon Mach V Exotix is more of an Dream Machine than MPC's, just because MPC threw in a plasma screen to raise the price another $5,000... they should have taken that money and put more into the pc, instead of skimping...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:33 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Frankly, I haven't commented on this or any other of the MPC Dream Machines because in almost all cases I wasn't impressed at all with their choices. Nor the logic applied to them either. And I never even consider their monitor choices, that doesn't even come into play when I'm looking at the rig. The monitor is a personal thing, you need a monitor that'll fit what you do. The size, it's capabilities, etc, are all relative. So what MPC thinks is a "dream monitor" might be a nightmare for someone else. I think monitors need to be left out of the equation entirely. The rig I'm working on building at the moment will leave their current machine in the dust ten ways from Sunday. And the only monitor that's involved in it is the 5" LCD that'll be mounted on the front as a VFD replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:19 am 

I too would not send in a $3K rig...im only talking about a case, 4 walls a top and a bottom. (with some sort of modifications - it could be 7,8 or 9 sided- whatever) Like I said before there would have to be some rules as to the size, weight, etc.
As for the judging it would have to be in the hands of the MPC staff. We can trust them. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The Insane Modder, what parts were you thinking of using? Do you think it could beat any of the machines in the high-end gaming machines featured this month? Post here, please, I'm curious.