These are a couple mods I did a while ago before I went to watercooling. As an MRL member I figure I should be producing something for the group
There are two parts to this mod. Part one, shows how to easily mount a 120mm fan inside your case. Part 2, shows how to mod your drive bay covers. I guess both mods can be done individually, but they work best when done together. This may take a while, so bare with me
As you will see I have a CM Wavemaster case. Owners of this case will know that they have some problems with air flow resulting in some pretty high temps. This was my successful attempt at increasing the airflow.
What you'll need:
-1 120mm fan
-double sided tape (more proof for Chumly that double sided tape works
The idea is to tape the top part of the fan to the bottom of an optical drive and the back of the fan to your hard drive wrack.
The end result will look something like this
Depending on the size of your case and it's configuration, you should have no problems fitting the fan in. I was able to get my hands on a UV reactive fan, so I think it ended up being functional and fabulous
This is the more difficult part. You'll need to dremel out the core of your front bay cover and then glue some kind of mesh in its place. You'll want to match up your materials for the best look. ie. aliminum drive bay cover and steel mesh, or plastic to plastic etc.
What you'll need
-masking tape (the tape just covers the bay cover so you don't scratch it up while dremeling)
-mesh (steel or palstic)
-glue (I used crazy glue)
-heavey duty scisors (only if you're using steel mesh)
I got my steel mesh from a change holder I bought a few years ago, but you should be able to find something similar at your local hardware shop.
I used the scisors to cut the mesh to the size of the bay covers. If the mesh if thin enough the scisors will be much easier to use than a dremal IMO.
Unfortunately I didn't stop to take pics of the dremeling process but you've seen those kind of picks a million time. I basically just measured out the size of the pieces I wanted to cut out with a marker and then followed the lines with the dremel. The floppy portion was pretty hard to do because I was dealing with a pretty small area to work within. Just take your time and go slow. This was also the very first time I used a dremel, so if you have any experience with cutting you'll do fine.
I was really happy with the end product.
Because of the size limitation on the pics you might have a hard time seeing the finished bay covers..sorry
The end result of this little project was an overall drop in temps between 8 and 10 degrees
Total cost -- approx $30.00 for supplies ( I borrowed the Dremel)
time -- approx 3-4 hours. My first time using a dremel accounts for much of that..lol
Level of difficulty -- moderate.