Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The ultimate mod(s)???
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:18 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

Can I stick my computer in a refrigerator and be done with it (for cooling)

Here's an idea:

get some sort of box to transfer heat, then cut holes in it for the perepherals of the computer and anything else... seal up the areas where condensation may occur, making sure there is no humidity in the box before you seal it...

anyway, I don't know how this would work in a refrigerating system without "letting out dangerous gases"... maybe use one of those mini-refrigerators with the door that can be removed.... ok this one would be more of a better refrigerator mod, if one would persue it...

- take out the door, place some sort of dehumidifying device in a box or plastic bag
- place computer in this bag, place it in refrigerator
- make a new door and insulate properly to make certain no condensation occurs in the bag that the computer is in, or in the refrigerator itself...

Ok, this is a neat mod, if you want to conserve your power (I know, it's a separate mod idea of it's own, but whatever)

You need:
- household power to 12vDC adapter
- 12v to 120v household power inverter with at least 2 outlets
- battery (rechargeable... reason being that if it gets charged in the process, you could get injured)

Now the rest is simple:

- make sure you have the inverter and adapter first
- expose the (+)(-) wires on the adapter
- hook up to the back of the inverter, soldering preferred
- keep a little bit of the wires exposed, no tape yet
- plug the adapter into the first available outlet
- charge with a 9v or 12v battery by placing the wires on the correct terminals. First make sure all voltages are correct.
- quickly apply and release the battery, to prevent overload of the inverter

The result will be a constant flow of energy, recycling... power will never go out unless you overload the inverter. I will send a link in 2 days time to show you a picture (technical drawing) of what it looks like. It is therefore best to have 2 or more outlets on the inverter, since one is used to recycle the energy. No patent is available on this (I think), but if there is, you can make this for cheaper than what the stores sell it for... saves energy too. Usage depends on what you want to have for output (such as a TV, computer etc.) Some high-end 12v inverters can power a washing machine... this method should still work.
Just for the record:
Mod: computer/refrigerator
2nd Mod: recycleable power source

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:36 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

You will leventually burn out the motor on the refridgeration unit. Fridges work because they are a closed system, they don't have a constant influx of heat. Stick a computer in there and the heat will be pumping out non-stop, causing the motor to run non-stop till it goes POP!

Post subject: Hows about this:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:38 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

Will the recyclable power idea still work? (I can draw you a schematic for one)

- I think so, since some can power a washer or dryer

Post subject: Another idea
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:43 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

Just use those industrial fans, you know, as in the ones fast food restaurants use??? Now that would cause more than enough problems, even if condensation was not a problem (where the heck would someone put a big-ass freezer fan?? And the noise generated, to boot... maybe this would be good for a server or something, but not a simple $2000 computer)

I would like to know if anyone's ever tried my "recycleable power" idea?

Post subject: Re: Another idea
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:09 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

RadRay12 wrote:

Let me see a schematic of your recyclable power idea and I will let you know. Its not a bad idea but, I think you are missing some key elements. The inverters you speak of usually have a way of controlling the current in and out of a device which would require a bit more on the circuit end of things. 8)

Post subject: Re: Another idea
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:34 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Wiked_smart wrote:
RadRay12 wrote:

Let me see a schematic of your recyclable power idea and I will let you know. Its not a bad idea but, I think you are missing some key elements. The inverters you speak of usually have a way of controlling the current in and out of a device which would require a bit more on the circuit end of things. 8)

Its called a breeder and it won't work the way he's talkin' - if I read it right.

The power will be lost in the form of heat.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:45 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

well it could work but its needs alot more than what is there, that is for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:49 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Wiked_smart wrote:
well it could work but its needs alot more than what is there, that is for sure.

Yeah - but what I think he doesn't get is it not usefull for what he wants to do. Its nothing more than a battery (even if it did work). Its like putting a slow drain on a capacitor. It *might* have an "UPS" application since its a battery with no battery it might not wear out as fast. But it would need a lot more development.

Considering how and why he got B&, it is a surprising idea from him.

They do use similar things in industry - but its normally for recycling chemistry and they actually take a reasonable amout of energy to run.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:14 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

WEll i wasn't aware of the B& part but i would agree with the amout of energy being used it would simply be better to use a UPS.

Post subject: yes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:08 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm sure there are better ways...