Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dragon/Wood Finish Laptop Mod, REAL Story...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:33 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Well, like everyone else, the comments on Dracos' laptop hit a nerve with me. Asshats will be asshats and assclowns will be assclowns, but not all of us are privy to that. Unfortunately, the comments led to Dracos asking for all his accounts on various forums to be deleted, as the nerve that was struck the biggest was his.

SOOO, I did some digging. My goal was to find this b*stard forum and form a collective of MPC members to barrage in and kick some ass. I'm happy to report that I DID find the forum, but what I also found was a 2nd side to this story. Let me outline what the first 7 posts consisted of:

Post 1: Dracos shows his laptop mod.
    Post 2: Very impressive work, there. Nice.
    Post 3: An acquired taste but impressive nonetheless. You are missing one half of the kanji compound for 'Ryuu' or dragon.
    Post 4: Wow.. ugly.. but to each their own man.
    Post 5: Very well done, but I have to agree wth Kingsnake. Still, you did an excellent job with it. Congrats!
    Post 6: wow...err...umm you can definitely tell you worked hard on it...
    well hey at least it won't get stolen
    Post 7: Wow... Thanks for all the support..... You guys must be stuck up or something.... Every other forum I was/am on, was impressed, and said what a great job it was......no one had any negative complaints....... I guess this isn't really a Mod forum.... I guess plain old paint is about it for you guys, I saw the Blue painted one, I guess that is about as creative as you can get huh??? I guess I should stick to Mod forums, where people appreciate hard work and an artistic sense..... I guess it was kinda stupid if me to even post my pics here...
    -So ADMIN, you can delete both of my threads, I won't be back...........
    I'll stick to real mod forums........

In MY opinion, the criticisms were not over-the-top rude at that point. I can think of 1001 better ways to respond to those criticisms rather than insulting their forum base as a whole and starting a flame war. Anything after that 7th post can be considered defending their turf, as those were some ballsy words for Dracos to post in another forum as a new member. To put it into perspective, think of what kind of welcome we'd give someone if they came to MPC and called us out, all because we didn't jump all over their mod within the first 5 responses to a thread.

I'll go on to say that many of the negative comments were made in OTHER threads in that forum, threads that were opened up in response to post #7 above. To form your own opinion, I'll post the links below:

Original Laptop Thread (started 8/29/04 4:02pm)
Second Laptop Thread (started 9/1/04 11:05pm)
Third Laptop Thread (started 9/2/04 4:33pm)

EDIT:
My 2nd and 3rd link were the same (both linked to the Third Laptop Thread). Second Laptop Thread link now fixed.

Last edited by One4yu2c on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Dragon/Wood Finish Laptop Mod, REAL Story...
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:51 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

One4yu2c wrote:
Original Laptop Thread (started 8/29/04 4:02pm)
Second Laptop Thread (started 9/1/04 11:05pm)
Third Laptop Thread (started 9/2/04 4:33pm)

WOW!

Psst. 14U2C.... Can you do me a favor.... Can you come over here and take the lock off my cage and then look away for about 30 minutes??

I promise I will get back in the cage before anyone notices I'm gone......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:15 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

LOL, [C]ams and DEA have the only 2 keys in existence, and I'm not about to try and steal one, lest I get a cage of my own :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:21 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

that dude needs to see a docter. no mod will have everyone rave about it, especially if its an aquired taste like wood. o well. if you mod you do it for your self not so that other people tell you how good/bad they think it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:31 am 

One4yu2c wrote:
LOL, [C]ams and DEA have the only 2 keys in existence, and I'm not about to try and steal one, lest I get a cage of my own :wink:

Come on! I promise! I want to go snap some heads! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:43 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

I have another side of the story.

What you said is true. Dracos got a little too sensative and posted a ballsy comeback to things he didn't like. But see posts 4 and 6. WOuldn't it have pissed you off just a bit? I would have said something possibly, but it would have been better pointed and more evenly done.

Dracos started a turf war. THEY dragged in other forums, specifically inxsdragon who fueled it. He cross posted to a closed thread so he could re-light the fire. Its an issue of a few asshats that like to see things get hot and Dracos found himself caught. So he wanted to do damage control and not let other forums get bashed around in the notebook forum. I can see that. I think he also decided he didn'' like the critisim and just didn't want to play anymore. I can see that too.

It doesn't really matter at this point who was wrong. But I will tell you this and the Mod of the notebook forum should take note:

This came dangerously close to a forum war with the notebook forum gettin' the short end of the stick. Possibly 5 forums against it and the Commport would likely join its sister MPC in the fray. Thats not good for any of us (however fun it might be), But the notebook forum would have taken the brunt. Maybe the mod should consider that and the headache it would have caused.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:45 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Spider Monkey wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

Come on! I promise! I want to go snap some heads! lol

You can only leave your cage when we actually need destruction. In the mean time you do enough just being in it.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:56 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Oh yeah - one last thing.

I am not disagreeing with 14u2c. Just saying we EDIT can'T sit it all on Dracos. In a way, I wish it had been one sided. Never been in a forum war. A few MUD wars - those were fun.

ah well,

Manta

Last edited by MantaBase on Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:59 am 

MantaBase wrote:

You can only leave your cage when we actually need destruction. In the mean time you do enough just being in it.

Manta

DAMMIT you guys are no fun. That would have made my holiday weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:59 am 

ahh, my post was deleted... scarred n00bs.

:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:00 am 

Burke wrote:
ahh, my post was deleted... scarred n00bs.

:twisted:

HEY! If I can't play you can't play. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

MantaBase wrote:
Never been in a forum war. A few MUD wars - those were fun.
Manta

Mud wars??? If you're a girl, please post pix...Otherwise, ..... I am don't play on that side of the crack. Get it..crack...as in butt crack...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:26 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Monkey, if I bring my truck over and smash that cage up, would you steall my the MPC dream machine?

You can keep that wooden notebook?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:28 am 

Juan Mendez wrote:
Monkey, if I bring my truck over and smash that cage up, would you steall my the MPC dream machine?

I could try, but I don't think I'm big enough to pick it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:33 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

MantaBase wrote:
What you said is true. Dracos got a little too sensative and posted a ballsy comeback to things he didn't like. But see posts 4 and 6. WOuldn't it have pissed you off just a bit?

Dracos started a turf war. THEY dragged in other forums, specifically inxsdragon who fueled it. He cross posted to a closed thread so he could re-light the fire. But I will tell you this and the Mod of the notebook forum should take note:

This came dangerously close to a forum war with the notebook forum gettin' the short end of the stick. Possibly 5 forums against it and the Commport would likely join its sister MPC in the fray.

Manta

Let me make a few points, not AGAINST what you said Manta, but points I need to make in line with what you said, and my perspective on them:

1) Agreed this is not ONE sided. It's not all falling on Dracos, just as it is not all falling on the Notebook forum as we originally thought. However, I put more blame on Dracos because he initiated combat, so to speak. Yes, those comments would have rubbed me the wrong way, but if I modded a notebook and it turned out different than I expected, then posted to a bunch of forums and received compliments, then had one forum compliment with some criticism by the 4th and 5th response, I would NOT have responded in the manner that he did. He made his bed, and like I said, they defended their own, just as we would do if the tables were reversed. NO noob is going to come into MaxPC and put one or all of our members down just because we didn't gush over a mod they did, so I can't knock another forum for doing the same.

2) Inxsdragon is a cock. However, he was flaming a newbie that flamed the forum he is a part of. Inxsdragon is the Spider-Monkey of that forum (much love Spider-monkey, I know you take pride in being a cock sometimes, so don't throw poop at me for that) ;)

3) IF that would have turned into a forum war, I would not have defended it. I WOULD defend any veteran MaxPC/Commport member, even on the gray areas of right and wrong, but I would not throw the MaxPC's forum name around by defending a noob who initiated a flame war in the manner described above. He got positive remarks with a couple of criticisms and jumped in guns a blazing. We're above that, and I expect much more from MaxPC posters. Dracos is not an established MaxPC member, nor does he have a true interest in being one. He was looking for compliments, and when the sh*t hit the fan, he asked for all accounts to be deleted, including the one he had here.

This all is, of course, not even commenting on the complete g*yness of a forum war in general. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:52 am 

One4yu2c wrote:
2) Inxsdragon is a cock. However, he was flaming a newbie that flamed the forum he is a part of. Inxsdragon is the Spider-Monkey of that forum (much love Spider-monkey, I know you take pride in being a cock sometimes, so don't throw poop at me for that) ;)

HeeHee. You said "cock".

But yes, call me what you will because you are 100% correct. If/when a no0b comes in here and starts walking around their wang out insulting person peoples and human types, I smack them with a big fat ass trout. No need to through poop. Everyone knows I'm a hemroid with no ointment.

P.S. I'm two weeks away from getting my wife's pooter shipped out here to Cali, so I can begin modding the hellzors out of it. She doesn't like the wood idea anymore, so I'm thinking of ricing the motha, right now. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:23 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

too funny spider

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:08 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Spider Monkey wrote:

HeeHee. You said "cock".

But yes, call me what you will because you are 100% correct.

P.S. I'm two weeks away from getting my wife's pooter shipped out here to Cali, so I can begin modding the hellzors out of it. She doesn't like the wood idea anymore, so I'm thinking of ricing the motha, right now. lol

I figured you'd understand what I meant :)

As for ricing the comp, I have a secret. Don't tell anyone, but I like some of that stuff. Here's my '96 Grand Prix I owned before I slid on some black ice on a curve in the WV mountains:

And it's okay to laugh or say that my former car looks like I ate a candy bar and crapped it out in the form of a Grand Prix...I won't ask that my account be deleted ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:20 pm 

One4yu2c wrote:

And it's okay to laugh or say that my former car looks like I ate a candy bar and crapped it out in the form of a Grand Prix...I won't ask that my account be deleted ;)

HAHAHAHOHOHEHEHAHAHA!™ Oh GOD! lol

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of trying out some of Linear's postings (neon gadgets and a trick paint job. Maybe metallic Blue). I got a lot of good ideas from that site. Righ now I'm debating between what to do first before a lay paint. Either a window or a blow hole. I just can't decide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:22 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

One4yu2c wrote:
MantaBase wrote:
What you said is true. Dracos got a little too sensative and posted a ballsy comeback to things he didn't like. But see posts 4 and 6. WOuldn't it have pissed you off just a bit?

Dracos started a turf war. THEY dragged in other forums, specifically inxsdragon who fueled it. He cross posted to a closed thread so he could re-light the fire. But I will tell you this and the Mod of the notebook forum should take note:

This came dangerously close to a forum war with the notebook forum gettin' the short end of the stick. Possibly 5 forums against it and the Commport would likely join its sister MPC in the fray.

Manta

He was cross posting to closed threads. I doubt even Monkey would do that. He was beginning to drag other forums in. Dracos, in some stange manuver actually made it worse (though I doubt he sees it that way) by trying to deleate it. That just alerted the other forums to the issue.

It doesn't really matter. It all turns out to be a ho-hum incident. This crap happens all the time.
Quote:
This all is, of course, not even commenting on the complete g*yness of a forum war in general. :P

Admit it!! It would have been FUN!! For a day or so at least :) Then it would get old.

I 'member mud wars where folks from mud would come and attempt to "take over" another for a bit. Mainly they just annoy the mods to death until they stop allowing new users long enough to purge every one (and ban them of course). Never truely participated in one. Never really saw the point. Now I guess I could see why it might happen.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter who is at fault more - its was just another flame war (that could have been oh sooo much more)

Monkey almost got let out of his cage.

Manta