Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Delete
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:49 pm 
Will Mod for Scooby Snacks!

Delete

Last edited by dracos on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Comments on my Laptop....please read and reply....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:06 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

dracos wrote:
I'm sure by now most of you have seen my thread about my latest mod:
Dell Laptop # 2

Check out the comments I got on another forum (just one forum):

Quote:
What an ugly laptop!

think it looks quite good. Ok, so the guy is an idiot and he can't paint but the design is good. I think he was attemping a wood finish. I'd do a much better job though

He should try selling it to Scrapheap Challenge

That laptop is quite ugly, yes. My god.

It's a terrbile job

It's not to my taste. Actually, I think it looks rather hideous.

That is a horrible laptop!!!

I have thta laptop, And i must say the orignal dell styling is 10x better!
man didnt know u could turn ugly even more ugly!

.......Ugly.....I mean......I mean.....WTF!?

Wow.. ugly..

wow...err...umm you can definitely tell you worked hard on it...

well hey at least it won't get stolen

now if i felt like rubbing ass juice all over my brand new laptop and then putting several layers of clearcoat on it, i would. but what would that give me...?

it looks like someone cut lose with the hershey squirts on it and scraped out some dragon designs

paint that looks like it was dropped in a sewer

be honest.... Is it that bad?????????

Dracos, as you and I have benn talking in PM:

You will always get the asshat in comment thread.

Thats what happens.

Geeks that feel they can't be touched :) (inquire as to my PM - someone needs a lesson. I haven't given a lesson since the MUD days - but this one is easy. Since I am older now though - I need your permission :> )

you did notice that none of the folk that gave you bad comments actully post about mods? Thats 'cuz that can't or dont do them:)

You are welcome here - learn to take the bad with the good. Try not to be so sensitive about it.

In the mean time - I may make a B& folder on the MRL of sites filled with idiots. That one is currently #1 on the list.

Kosher?

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:47 pm 

That one that almost looks wood'n?

I think that looks very unique, artistic and "kicks ass".
Good job man.

Peeps who say otherwizze? ~ Where's there mod? - I can already see there's = pre-mod mommy bought me this light and fan grill now i have a cool mod in my chieftech.

ya, seen it kid.. next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:09 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
i think it looks good, even better, that it wasnt intended to look that way, thats how we learn.

but i am more wondering why did the "rust" not look like rust, seems like maybe to thick a coat and it settled out before it could dry, or need a primer , im not really familar with it but i use one whole hell of a lot of canned laq. and poly. and there are tricks. im not saying i know them, but i take a lot for granted after 30 years of finish work. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:40 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I totally agree....with the replies within THIS forum, I mean.

Seriously, there's a major problem with forums. They all contain asshats. Can't cure that at all. But with places like MaximumPC, I've come to love it here because the crowd just seems a lot more mature. The asshat ratio is fairly low.

What makes it worse is posting your own work and determination out into the public for others to openly review. It's more than likely to be laughed at. Look around our own MPC even. They can't even seem to grasp the glory in the awesome paintjobs Smooth Creations do for the mag. Hell...the last three I've seen are just flat out spotless and very tastefully done. And the ones I see from the outside the mag are just as well done, if not better.

Did you catch the keyword there? "Tastefully". I would be willing to not only bet that NONE of those replies came from people without an old beige box. But ones that still think adding a CCT is a "MOD". I'll go further and wage that they all drive beat up ricers with broken body pieces, LED windshild wipers, and krylon overspray all over. They're complete idiots in general.

Look, I could go on and on how the downfall of this country is the total lack of style and taste. No one is original anymore. Nirvana came out, and every band wanted to copy them. Jesse James' name has been dropped all over the place like 1942 payloads. Fast & the Furious hit us and you can't walk a block without seeing NOS stickers on a beat up Civic with fart pipes. Hell...I almost blew a gasket while flipping through my latest motorcycle mag..."24K BLING GLOVES"..."damn Biker Boyz!" Even since the "media" started talking about video cards, you can't play a game without some poser saying his ATI-6900-Ultra-GT is running good. See where I'm heading?

Do your thing, and do it to the best of your ability. Take the real critisism and make your next project that much better. Truth hurts, but only if it's from someone that knows, and that you're really wrong. Those idiots simply saying "it's ugly" can't do any better. And I'm sure of that. That isn't real critisism at all. It's pointless drivel.

Look at the things people say around here. It's hard to find anything bad at all, isn't it!? It's the crowd you and I are in; and it's a good one. Hell, I'm still trying to get stuff done on my own mods, and after 2 crappy pics I get nothing but "nice job!" replies. It's almost hard to be modest :oops:

You've done a good job on that laptop. Some of the things you were going for didn't turn out...oh fregg'n well. I like the wood, LOL! And some of the comments on the drives being silver? Just our own tastes being displayed. It's isn't ours, so if it makes you happy, then keep 'em silver. I thought I didn't like them at all, then someone pointed them out and I thought, "hey, that really doesn't look bad after all!" (I really didn't notice them being silver at first, so it musta fit after all!)

'Damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead' - Admiral David Glasgow Farragut (1801-1870)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:25 pm 

GG~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:03 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I second what Chumly wrote!! I would write more on this but as usual my thoughts have been conveyed to the T. Keep up the hard work and remember this with mistakes come knowledge and knowledge is power! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:03 am 
Team Member
Team Member

yeah ... Chumly pretty much summed up how i feel about everything he mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:17 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

its one of the sweetest modded laptops i've seen, i dont particularly like wood but thats sweet looking none the less

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:29 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Dude, I told ya over on casemodgod.com and I'm tellin' ya here, that is a SWEET mod and I'd love to do something similar to my own laptop. It just oozes class. Those bozos have no idea what they're talking about, just don't visit that site. Or better yet, post the URL and we can all invade it and tell 'em that they smell funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:01 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Ok Dracos.

Now you see the light?

Chums is right.

LIke I told you, there are people who know what they are talking about that will give you advice and TRUE critisim and compliment. There are kind folks that will do the same. Then there is a small group of idiots (some of whom seem to hang in the notebook forum) that will talk crap 'cuz that is all they have.

OTOH (and this is for all - not just you Dracos)

When its art, its a piece of you. Its an effort. That tends to make some of us a bit sensitive to comments. Don't fall into that trap. Its not worth it. DOn't become part of the "stupid" crowd. Thicken your skin. Every once in a while buttons get pushed and arguments insue. Thats life. But life is better when it happens at a minimum

Critisim sould be constructive. If you must say something negative - give suggestions for improvement - or just don't comment.

We all have our own tastes - can't help that. I happen to think the G5 is ugly and the G4 looks much better. Most don't agree. I think the old Alienware cases look better than the new - again, most don't agree.

I don't value my own opinion so much as to actually believe it is anything more that just an opinion. None of us should.

Anyways - Chumly already said what needs to be said. So I will quit now

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:19 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I'll tell ya, I'd never give anyone any harsh criticism for trying. If you tried you already succeeded. You can try and fail and still learn something from the effort and deserve credit for it, not a lot of grief. In this case however, there's no failure, just a bunch of dopes, ignore them. Anyone who would immediatly come off with a comment like some of those really isn't right in the head and shouldn't be taken seriously. Art is subjective and open to interpretation, it isn't something that one or even 100 people can say "sucks" or "is ugly" because that's only an opinion and nobodys opinion really matters when it comes to art, only the artists.

Post subject: Judgement
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:07 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Hi Dracos:

I spent a bit of time going to the other forums. To my surpise, you got mainly very good comments. I say surprise, 'cuz the notebook forum was the first I saw and I expected to see the same old BS every place else. It happens all the time which is why you should blow it off.

I am a bit surprised as to why the mods have not banned inxsdragon and closed the thread - I don't think they realize how close they are to a forum war (which we will NOT be having). It lines up 3 to one against them. Forum wars don't do anyone any good (I say that never having seen one).

At anyrate, you don't need to worry about other forums getting dragged into the frey at the notebook forum. Thats what moderaters are for :>

In the future though, you may not want to post there :) (already knew that huh?)

Lets put this issue to bed :)

If you did anything wrong, it would be that you fell into a troll hole at the notebook forum. I have tripped into a few holes myself.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:40 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Indeed, I agree with Manta. I found that forum earlier and just got finished posting another thread on it...wandered back in here and saw Manta has apparently found it too.

Definitely a second side to this story. My writeup can be found in the thread I started (here)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:45 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

XHAOS wrote:
yeah ... Chumly pretty much summed up how i feel about everything he mentioned.

Me too. He tends to to that. He types until he talkes everyones thoughts, then types somemore. lol :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:55 pm 

Delete

Last edited by dracos on Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:43 pm 

dracos wrote:
Thanks guys.........

I just needed some reassurance......

I thought I was crazy..

You are. You are a fuckin loon. But so what. We all are. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:16 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Spider Monkey wrote:
dracos wrote:
Thanks guys.........

I just needed some reassurance......

I thought I was crazy..

You are. You are a fuckin loon. But so what. We all are. :wink:

I just need to say that your comments as always keep me laughing :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:52 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

MantaBase wrote:
I don't value my own opinion so much as to actually believe it is anything more that just an opinion. None of us should.
Wow. I've been trying to think of a description like that, but never have. Hit it right on the head. "IMO" is in just about every post I make and I just wish there was a better shorthand for that entire idea...but there isn't.

And what a good morality thread this has become (IMO) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:24 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Chumly wrote:
MantaBase wrote:
Wow. I've been trying to think of a description like that, but never have. Hit it right on the head. "IMO" is in just about every post I make and I just wish there was a better shorthand for that entire idea...but there isn't.

And what a good morality thread this has become (IMO) 8)

Well, it seems Dracos is pulling out. To bad really.

There are lessons here - not sure what they all are.

Manta will ponder somewhat.

Take care Dracos - return when you feel you can :)

Manta