Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Drive Stealthing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:27 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ok, I've browsed the MRL again and can't see a good how-to. So, let's make one here.

While recently putting my case back together, I broke off one of the front cover's tabs. No biggy, but it gives me a piece to practice with. I have 2 opticals that I want in there, and would like to stealth them so that the front is more uniform and keep the monolithic look of the Stacker that I bought for in the first place.

I have the top I/O panel up top, the floppy drive all the way at the bottom, and the Audigy 2 drive panel planned to go right below the I/O as the only items that need to be exposed. Other than that, the opticals hanging out in the open as they normally would will just look crappy IMO. Half of the case's front will be more bungled looking than I'd like. So...that's the reasoning.
There's the broken cover. Now, I can already see a method to get this on, but not a good way to access the open/close button on the Plextor 712A's front. Anyone have a good method or link to make this stealth possible? Oh, and that's wire, so I'll have to dremel it out if I have to make a shaped hole I think.

LOL...look at my crummy fingers! I didn't use the proper Personal Protection Equipment while using these hazard chemicals :D They're blue, silver, white, orange, and has a nice clear coat over it all to insure it won't scrub off easily. That's after 4 days of trying too. As it's wearing off, it looks like I have a skin disorder. Chicks don't dig that by the way :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:05 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

you didn't look that hard then ;)
http://www.twistedmods.com/article.php?artid=119

but nice guide :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:12 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

toidiochysp wrote:

Duuurrr... :oops:

Thanks toidiochysp. I'm reading it now and will get to work as soon as I understand it all.

*EDIT* Oh hell, that looks easy. The cover just rocks on the drive to hit the button. I'll see if I can get that a little more, um, advanced. Seems 6 months or so worth of rocking the cover could make it decide to just fall off some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:12 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Chumly wrote:
toidiochysp wrote:

Duuurrr... :oops:

Thanks toidiochysp. I'm reading it now and will get to work as soon as I understand it all.

*EDIT* Oh hell, that looks easy. The cover just rocks on the drive to hit the button. I'll see if I can get that a little more, um, advanced. Seems 6 months or so worth of rocking the cover could make it decide to just fall off some day.

If you're worried about the double sided tape, I've been using it on my bezels for at least six months and they are still solid. The stuff is also pretty cheap, so I wouldn't worry about it. I hope I read that right :?

Nice looking paint job BTW :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:47 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
my favorite color, i always wanted a 32 coupe that color. as for paint on the hands, use laquer thinner, and a rag, gone in 20 seconds. and it will cauterize all the metal cuts and nicks and stuff at the same time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:06 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Booradley wrote:
If you're worried about the double sided tape, I've been using it on my bezels for at least six months and they are still solid. The stuff is also pretty cheap, so I wouldn't worry about it. I hope I read that right :?

Nice looking paint job BTW :)
Thanks...and Thanks! Nice to hear one of us using this same stuff for a while. very reassuring to say the least. And I have half a shoebox full of this 3M double-sided tape from...ummm...somewhere;) I use it for everything and it's been great. But neve on something I move around a lot.

And it's not really done, but close enough to get into that damned Coolermaster competition. It needs the "Repsol" lettering still done, another few clearcoats over that, more wetsanding, and a day of buffing to call it good. But time is short. I need to work out the water lines, stealth these drives, and get it running for the show. I'm pushing it as it is. What ticks me off is that my window for it just arrived today...so I'm going to have to do that some day anyway. Grrrrrr...
---------------------
G.M. Waters:
LOL...Laquer thinner won't even touch this nasty stuff. I haven't found a way to get it off anything besides sanding it off...and yes, I've tried sanding it off my hands :D

But I love orange as it is. When all of my parts seem to be orange as well, it was just fitting. '32 duece coupe? hugger orange? Yummy! One day...one day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:17 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

hate to say but cpu mag this month did this project in the mag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:08 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
hate to say but cpu mag this month did this project in the mag.
Did they do about the same as the above link (double-sided tape on everything)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:44 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

pretty close, and yes two sided tape, and a rubber bumper pad to open the drive w/o a butten, not bad, they also mod a 9800pro to feed the gpu more power :)

sorry it took so long to get back, but i had to go out