Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Opinions - Lian Li PC V2100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:26 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I wanted to know if any of you have, or have used or had any experience with the Lian Li PC V2100 full size tower case. What are your impressions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:50 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I bet it'll be hard to find a owner of one of these beasts, and I'm not totally sure why...Price perhaps??

I think it's a very sexy and functional case. I would have thought more about it, but I fell in love with the CMstacker's monolithic stature; and half the cost. The 2100B has the monolith look, but Three-Hundred smackers is a lot of dough. If I bought it, I wouldn't ever touch it. I'm scared to modify $300 cases!

But it looks like a first rate case. Lian Li has a great reputation, I've never owned one however. I just feel the need for aluminum casters and all that stuff. I'm sure if they offered the same case with some of the details knocked down a bit, the price could be chopped and would actually consider it.

http://www.silverpcs.com/product/CS_PCV2100B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:47 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Hmm, that CM Stacker does look pretty nice... Though I kind of like the idea of the front being stealthed. The color is irrelevant, black, silver, doesn't matter because it's going to be painted anyway. Maybe the black because of the front but I'm not 100% sure yet. The price isn't a block for me at this point. These are my max prices for the hardware.

Case: Max $500
PSU: Max $150
Mobo: Max: $300
CPU: Max: $1000
GPU: Max: $1500
Memory: Max: $750
Sound: Already have
Storage: Already have but will add SATA drive.
Display: Have it
Modding Supplies: Max: $1000
Accessories: Max: $2000

Total max cost: $10,000

Did I mention this is supposed to be the ultimate next-generation beast? Er, yep, everythings gotta be the absolute top of the line, even if I have to go to the place where they make it and tell them to give me the first one off the assembly line. :)

Why? Well darnit, look at my name, it's not just a name, it's desciprtive! And I have no problem with ripping apart a $300 case, none at all. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:57 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i would get a stacker before i got that though. stacker is cheaper and i just like it better. you have an insane budget for a case, i cringe at a 200 dollar case. but i guess you have a massive "max" for everything. when you quit your job tell me because i want to be able to throw $10000 at a computer. be sure to make a thred for when you mod the case though, i dont think i've seen that case modded before, maybe i just didnt recognize it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Well, if all goes according to plan you'll see it in a competing magazine. (Can't say who but, their initials are part of your computer's processor). :) Anywho, my job, hm, I can't quit it, I run my own business so I'm stuck here and if I quit, the company goes out of business. :) Basically to me a computer is the second most important posession. Home first, computer second, car third. Luckily you can get the best computer possible for a heck of a lot less than a new compact car.

As for the stacker, it's nice, really nice actually. But it just ain't big enough and I kinda want a front door on the case for specific reasons I can't really talk about (top secret, eyes only, I could tell ya but then I'd have to unplug your modem). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:27 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

initials in my processor name....not a lotta combinations with AMD

BTW what kinda bussiness are you in....something with computers i hope

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:38 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

The Insane Modder wrote:
Well, if all goes according to plan you'll see it in a competing magazine. (Can't say who but, their initials are part of your computer's processor). :) Anywho, my job, hm, I can't quit it, I run my own business so I'm stuck here and if I quit, the company goes out of business. :) Basically to me a computer is the second most important posession. Home first, computer second, car third. Luckily you can get the best computer possible for a heck of a lot less than a new compact car.

As for the stacker, it's nice, really nice actually. But it just ain't big enough and I kinda want a front door on the case for specific reasons I can't really talk about (top secret, eyes only, I could tell ya but then I'd have to unplug your modem). :)

Just my guess, CPU's V1.2 (Fall) reference series PC Modder. You get into that and I will spam your name all over the MRL :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:52 am 
Team Member
Team Member

No No, not into, on the cover of. :)

But it isn't set in stone yet, I have to get my design past the E-in-C first, however, that's not going to be hard I don't think. Er, I hope. :) Of course if MPC wants me to do a rig, no problem there either. :)

Yeah, I'm a custom computer builder, have my own small business and this is just a (hopeful) publicity thing. The rig will be the one I've been planning to do for my own use since the beginning of the year so it comes at a real good time for me.

A part of me says "You really should build the case from scratch" but I don't have the necessary tools to do that right. I'm not near any shops where I could get the help I'd need and to pay to have it done wouldn't be cost effective, the end result would be more expensive than the Lian Li. Granted it'd be designed exactly to my own specifications but having had a stepfather in the metal finishing business, I know the kind of costs that could be involved and well, $1500 for a one-off case is something I really can't justify on this.

The alternatives would be to use something other than metal, which I've considered. I can work with wood, plastic, etc... Lots of ways to go there and those options are still floating around in my bean. But so far, I have been taking the route of using the bones of an existing, high quality case and building up from that. It'll just make life easier. Not that the mods to that case won't change it radically, they will (I hope) to the point where it's not even recognizable as a Lian Li, or if it is, it transforms into something drastically different. Which is, right now, the idea. When it's all closed up, it's just a big black monolith, when it opens in true Decepticon fashion, it'll have a whole different apperance. Haven't yet worked out those details yet but, it's just a matter of applying some ideas.

So the reason I am kind of rejecting any and all of the premod style cases is because I want both the immense size of that 2100 and the stylistic simplicity as well. So that what I do to it stands out. Sort of like buying a very good blank canvas to start on rather than buying a painting and changing it. Makes sense, doesn't it? Right? I hope so.

So, Manta, whadda ya mean if I get in it you'll spam my name all over the MRL? I'm confused. Are you trying to get in? Are you opposed to the whole thing in and of itself? Are you uh, I dunno, what's up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:40 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

The Insane Modder wrote:

So, Manta, whadda ya mean if I get in it you'll spam my name all over the MRL? I'm confused. Are you trying to get in? Are you opposed to the whole thing in and of itself? Are you uh, I dunno, what's up?

Well, if you get in (or on the cover), its a very good thing. I don't have anything ready and I won't for sometime. The reference series is new and I wish MPC would do thier own. I really don't like CPU, but I do like that they are giving modding attension. So no, I am not opposed at all. If you get in I will put your name in the MRL where-ever I can make it fit. You would be the second person I've "met" with a rig in a mag. (the other one is banned from MPC - heheh - irony - he kinda deserved it though - well sorta). Its a big deal. You should be very happy if it goes through.

One word of warning, if it falls through, don't worry about it too much. The truth is there are not nearly as many mods out there as folks think and getting one in will happen eventually (some place).

Anyways - sometime early next year I will have one ready. Hope I can get it in someplace.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:01 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Uhhh... Actually, I was in last issue. That's how they got in touch with me, so they (Shawn is the guy's name) asked me about doing the cover rig for the next one. I may be the guy you're thinking of that got banned. But I talked to Chams, a lot, I mean, like 50 posts in PM's and stuff and we have gotten a lot of it straightened out and come to agreements. I apologized for being really rude in my posts. I guess I should do that now too for everyone who was around then.

I apologize, sincerely. I don't really mean that I don't still think what I thought then but, after a month and going back to re-read my comments, I worded things in a terrible way and I can't say I blame folks for getting PO'd at me for that. I still kinda think that the cussin' and stuff is not such a hot idea, I think that we should all do what we can to make the place cool for everyone to visit, regardless of age or what not. And I still think Avatars are just for fun and everyone should be allowed to use one so long as it's tasteful and within the dimensions of the forum. I think you should either link to it on your own space if you can though to not clog up MPC's storage space with tons of avatars. Well, anyway, Chams and I have had some long talks, he's seen some of my points, I've seen some of his and we're all good. Now, I just gotta get "all good" with the folks I ticked off.

Anyway, gimmy some time, you'll find that I ain't a bad guy really. Opinionated to be sure, wordy as hell (like, duh?) and because I've been around the block a few bazillion times, I tend to talk with this sense that I probably know about things that sometimes, I don't. But I've been working on that. :) Espically in the modding community where there are just TONS of incredibly great people who are always ready to help out anyone and everyone and for the most part treat 'em all with respect.

Ok, off the soapbox and back to the case thing. I'll post some pics of the 3D render concept for it in its early stages (real basic) in hopes that maybe y'all can throw some clever ideas at me and it'll be worthy. :) As for CPU, I dig the mag. I read both CPU and MPC cover to cover as soon as they get to my mailbox and haven't really disliked anything in either of them. MPC was the first one I got hooked on though (of this kind of PC mag that is) and CPU came second. I wanted to put an entry in for Rig of the Month but, now that there's no prize, well darnit! :)

The rig that's in last month's CPU isn't actually even finished yet, I'm still waiting for my ol' man to get off his duff and put everything together. It's all on him at the moment, he already crushed the front of it and I had to re-do it from scratch. Lots of fun there. So now I'm just working on getting all the parts to build the new rig that'll be my own machine and hopefully be that cover rig. I'd love to do one for MPC, I even have an already finished 3D concept of one. Hmmm, who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:46 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Just found out my final budget for the rig, it's $4000. Should be enough to do it up proper I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:58 am 

I bought this case for a new rig I'm building. My progress:

Componants I have:

Lain-Li PC-2100B case

2 WD Raptors 76G

Plextor PX-712A BLACK

Mitsumi 1.44

MSI Neo2 Platinum

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe

eVGA 6800 Ultra

I also plan to watercool and these are the componants I have:

Koolance EXOS

CPU-300-H06 (CPU)

Athlon 64 Adapter

CHC-A05

Danger Den Nvidia 6800 waterblock

2 Innovatek HD-O-Matic Micro

I have converted the Danger Den and Innovatek blocks to 1/4 ID tubing.

I know that I could have used internal cooling, but I like the Koolance looks on my case and will purchase additional radiator and pump if necessary to place into the system.

Love this case, it is very classy.

Edit

Oh ya, the memory and proc still to come:

OCZ┬┤s EL Platinum Edition REV.2 PC-3200

Anxiously awaiting the FX-55

Edit