Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:46 pm 

well if you do find windows to be annoying and aren't sure about linux look into the OS knoppix, it's a free download, you burn it to a cd and it runs from your cd drive, all you do is change your bios to boot from cd instead of the hd. It doesn't write to anything so it'll leave windows exactly how it is. It's how i got started in linux.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

amc360 wrote:
well if you do find windows to be annoying and aren't sure about linux look into the OS knoppix, it's a free download, you burn it to a cd and it runs from your cd drive, all you do is change your bios to boot from cd instead of the hd. It doesn't write to anything so it'll leave windows exactly how it is. It's how i got started in linux.

thanx for the info i knew about knoppix..i just have to download it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:00 am 

www.xenarc.com

what i've been oogling over for quite a while.. good reviews from what i've read online

I want to do the exact same thing, cept the 7" LCD would go where my stereo is now (fits perfectly too!) but I lack the funds :-/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:01 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Nice link! I bet you could get a 10" monitor from here that's touch screen and mold some fiber gasll around it to incorparate it into your cars' console. That wouls look sweet. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:12 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

see, im lazy, i would just buy one of those car pc's instead of putting all that effort into my crappy car. I need a better car before i do that kind of crap

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:53 am 

you CAN NOT run a wi fi antenna through the car stereo antenna. there's a whole lot of technical mumbo jumbo about signal attenuation and frequencies i'm not going into, but in short, it won't work, and *could* fry your antenna or wi fi card. When it comes to radio, bigger isn't always better.

I've wanted to build a computer into my car too. Of course I'm going to wait till I can get a 1982 firebird trans am ;)

You might consider using laptop components. They're tough to find, but you can pick up generic laptop parts online and build that into your dash. Keep cooling in mind too, probably try to liquid cool it.

My question is about the power supply. Cars run on 12 v, computers run on 12 v.... I know there's other differences in amperage etc. but shouldn't there be away to convert the car's power to the computer without the power supply? It may be useless knowledge, but it's something I'd like to know for fun.

The wiring, I could help you on if I knew the layout of the car. Personally I'd put the cmputer in the dash or a console between the seats if you have one. Otherwise it sounds to me like you're ready to go. Try submitting it to MPC's rig of the month.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:05 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

puf_the_majic_dragon wrote:
you CAN NOT run a wi fi antenna through the car stereo antenna. there's a whole lot of technical mumbo jumbo about signal attenuation and frequencies i'm not going into, but in short, it won't work, and *could* fry your antenna or wi fi card. When it comes to radio, bigger isn't always better.

I've wanted to build a computer into my car too. Of course I'm going to wait till I can get a 1982 firebird trans am ;)

You might consider using laptop components. They're tough to find, but you can pick up generic laptop parts online and build that into your dash. Keep cooling in mind too, probably try to liquid cool it.

My question is about the power supply. Cars run on 12 v, computers run on 12 v.... I know there's other differences in amperage etc. but shouldn't there be away to convert the car's power to the computer without the power supply? It may be useless knowledge, but it's something I'd like to know for fun.

The wiring, I could help you on if I knew the layout of the car. Personally I'd put the cmputer in the dash or a console between the seats if you have one. Otherwise it sounds to me like you're ready to go. Try submitting it to MPC's rig of the month.....

Hey puf and everybody else.
i am pretty much done with the car i only have to run one wire from the battery to the inside of my car....now regarding your question about the psu...there is only one way to go(at least to my knowledge) and that is to use the opus psu...this psu regulates the voltage from the battery to the computer...when you crank up the car it keeps a steady 12v...it has 3 wires ground, positive and another ingnition wire that is needed to start the computer remotely and also to keep the computer in hibernation...check their website

http://www.opussolutions.com/

everybody i talkied to.use this psu and it works great..for the rest i am posting pictures soon detaling the job...the computer sits in the arm rest between the front seats..if you guys ar familiar with a 2003 land rovore freelander you'll know what i mean...
i did use a lap top dvd rom..but unfortunately i made the "mistake"of using a regullar desktop harddrive...and i know it will get damage along the line with the bumps...

here is a link to one picture of my finished work

http://home.earthlink.net/~teamwork1999 ... pshote.jpg

if you guys have question you can ask i learn quiet a bit of stuff on this project

[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:10 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hey puf you think you can help me with ther audio wiring because i don't know how to do it...i want it to hard wire it to the car system but i am cluless on how to do it....where should i startt???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:26 pm 

wow.. could start a whole thread on that subject....
first thing to do is check your current stereo configuration. u got a cd player or tape? do you have a subwoofer and/or an amplifier? if you got a relatively new amp, it makes it all a lot easier. if not, lemme know and we can splice some wires.
in either event you'll probably want to stop by radio shack and buy a wire. it's a specific wire: 8th inch stereo on one end (typical headphone jack) and RCA on the other. you can buy them in various lengths, i'd suggest one at least 3 feet, if you got change to spare, go for 6 just for some extra breathing room.

the easiest way to go would be to buy that cable to run from your computer, use a couple RCA y cables (2 female ends, one male) to split that with your cd player (if that's what you're using) and run that into an amp. If feedback becomes a problem, get two of the 8th inch stereo/ RCA cables and run your car stereo into your computer's line in jack, then computer to amp, amp to speakers.

hope that helps. if you don't have an amp or your stereo lacks RCA out, then we can have some real fun. good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

wow.. could start a whole thread on that subject....
first thing to do is check your current stereo configuration. u got a cd player or tape? do you have a subwoofer and/or an amplifier? if you got a relatively new amp, it makes it all a lot easier. if not, lemme know and we can splice some wires.
in either event you'll probably want to stop by radio shack and buy a wire. it's a specific wire: 8th inch stereo on one end (typical headphone jack) and RCA on the other. you can buy them in various lengths, i'd suggest one at least 3 feet, if you got change to spare, go for 6 just for some extra breathing room.

the easiest way to go would be to buy that cable to run from your computer, use a couple RCA y cables (2 female ends, one male) to split that with your cd player (if that's what you're using) and run that into an amp. If feedback becomes a problem, get two of the 8th inch stereo/ RCA cables and run your car stereo into your computer's line in jack, then computer to amp, amp to speakers.

hope that helps. if you don't have an amp or your stereo lacks RCA out, then we can have some real fun. good luck.

wow puf you really are into audio :D

ok the audio set up in my car is as follow
i have the manufacturer radio, no amp or amplifier, it's a cd player, no tape..my radio doesn't have auxilliary input...also i thought about splicing the wire..but when i look in the back of my radio it has (if i remember correct) 6 or 8 different wires for the audio...are these equivalent to the speakers...each wire = a speker? if you don't understand i'll take a picture as soon as go down my car
i am sorry but audio set up is not really my thing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:57 pm 

i guess i know my audio equipment... that happens when you live in a small rural town where a young man's social status is determined by how many eardrums his car can rupture...

the speaker wires are organized in pairs. they should be color coded. color and color with a black stripe. they should be labeled, either with a tag on the wire, or on the connector or the stereo. if they're not, the only sure way to know which wires go to which speaker is to test em. unplug them one pair at a time and play a cd. if you have to do that then be sure to label each pair clearly so you don't forget which ones are which.

you are going to have to splice the speaker wires. this is kind of a ghetto way of doing it, but it should work. if you have some extra time, browse around radio shack for a while and you might find some other hardware that could make a better connection. on to the ghetto rig!

if you got the stereo/RCA adapter cable i mentioned before, cut the RCA ends off and seperate the two halves (if you have 4 or 6 channel output on your computer, repeat this proces once for each pair of speakers you have in your car). each half will have two sets of wires inside. seprate those two wires and do the same to the other side. now to make sure it works, you'll have to get the polarity of the wires matched up, positive to positive and negative to negative. it might take some trial and error to get it right. strip a small section of speaker wire from the stereo and connect the wires, one speaker at a time to make sure you match them up properly. there isn't much power running through speaker wires when they're running so you won't shock yourself unless you cut the wrong wire. match em all up and wrap each connection with electrical tape and you should be good to go.

if you'd prefer a more difficult, but better method, stop by radio shack. you should be able to pick up some RCA connectors. cut your speaker wires from your stereo (leave about 10 inches attatched to the stereo if you don't have a built in connector) and solder the wires to the RCA connectors. if i remember correctly (you should probably double check this) the inner wire on the RCA connector is your hot wire. solder each connection of your speaker wires this way, going to the speakers, and then do the same to the stereo. get yourself those RCA y cables i mentioned and plug your stereo and computer into them, then to the speaker wires and crank up the volume.

there's a few other more profesional ways of doing it, but that should be enough to get ya goin. don't hesitate to ask the guys at radio shack, or check your town for a car audio store ask them for advice. heck, you could probably hire em to do it for ya, and then it comes with a warranty ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:02 pm 

for the record, i have an old old ancient radio/tape deck i keep around because it's got RCA input on it. i send my computer's 3rd and 4th channel audio through there, and pump it out to a couple of 12 inch woofers i got at an auction. the equipment's old, but games sure sound great comin out of those monster speakers :D i even run my tv through there, and i get better sound from my movies than a dolby home theater system. now if only i didn't live in this apartment with cranky neighbors....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

for the record, i have an old old ancient radio/tape deck i keep around because it's got RCA input on it. i send my computer's 3rd and 4th channel audio through there, and pump it out to a couple of 12 inch woofers i got at an auction. the equipment's old, but games sure sound great comin out of those monster speakers :D i even run my tv through there, and i get better sound from my movies than a dolby home theater system. now if only i didn't live in this apartment with cranky neighbors....

hey puf this is the kind of wiring that is behind my radio..is this the norm for radio? so can i splice any of those wire and do what you told me to with the rca wires?
check the link for the pictures

http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/install/landrover.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:16 pm 

it looks like you should be ok. you'll want to do any splicing on the vehicle end of the connectors so it'll go radio > wires > connector > wires > splice > wires... the reason for this is simple, it saves the stereo wires if you ever want to sell it, and there's usually more slack in the wires on the car end. if you splice them the way i mentioned, be on your guard for feedback (signal degredation). the electric signal from your computer will send current through the wires to the speakers, and try to send it to your stereo too, which can make it sound wierd.
there are better ways to do this, and my personal preference would be to get a new cd player (with RCA output) and an amplifier with RCA input. RCA connectors on a new cd player would be shielded against feedback and an amp would help to make the connections clean, as well as improve your sound quality :)
if you want to go all out.... and this would be something along the lines of dream machine 04 for car audio ;)
a cd-rw/mp3 player that outputs into your computer, computer into an amp, amp to a subwoofer and then a couple of cerwin vega 14" speakers in the back. i haven't kept up on the subject enough recently to tell u which brand of cd player or amp to get, but SONY has always been good with audio.
rule number one in any of this, ask questions. if you're not sure, ask the guy at radio shack. don't cut any wires until you're sure you want to do it.
rule number two.. have fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:39 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

DONE MY CAR PC IS DONE!!!
THA'TS IT THE COMPUTER IS IN THE ARM REST BETWEEN THE FRONT SEATS...THE WIRES YOU SEE STICKING OUT FROM THE 8'" LCD SCREEN CAN BE HIDDEN OR THEY CAN BE USED TO ATTACH ANYTHING I WANT AN XBOX FOR EXAMPLE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:11 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Nice.

What are the specs of the "Car PC"?

Oh, and it looks like you got the CAPS LOCK on when you posted. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

ocnoob wrote:
Nice.

What are the specs of the "Car PC"?

Oh, and it looks like you got the CAPS LOCK on when you posted. :P

DAMM CAPS ALWAYS ON THE WAY.....LOL

anyway the specs are the following

VIA EPIA M10000 MOBO for a review go here http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/nehemiah/?page=1

512 MB DDR (266) PC-2100 Corsair
OPUS 90-watt DC-DC Power Supply
SLIM LINE DVD-ROM
Slimline CD to Desktop IDE Adapter
7" Lilliput LCD TOUCHSCREEN vga Touch screen monitor
SEGATE 80 GB 7200 RPM HARD DRIVE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:04 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

thats one hell of a nice car-pc thingy... so what is the speed of th cpu? Good Job on such a fine ass rig!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:08 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Sweet! You did a hell of a job on that install!

Would it be too much to share a rough estimated cost with us?

Post subject: Re: my pc case will be my car
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:14 am 

the parent company makes cop car computers, good background for this product. should fit nicely in your ride.

http://www.moditory.com/content.php?review.84
http://www.lanaddict.com/rev/142/1/
http://www.deckkeyboards.com/