Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: my pc case will be my car
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:17 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

ok now that i got your attention...i am trying to build a pc inside my car...i have a land rover freelander and i would like to put a pc in the trunk of the car, run the wires to the front of the car and have a small touch screen in the front....you can check this link to see something similar to what i want to achieve
http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/ice-unit

since i never attempted this i am bound to make mistakes...i am not worried about those...that's how i will learn.....building the pc is not the problem...i want to run either win xp or win2k i haven't decided yet..supposedly xp is touch screen enabled so i guess i'll use that.....the real problem is that i don't know how to run the wires from the back to the front of the car....i don't want to put any components in the front of the car like the person in the link i posted....i also would like to have some INFO ON HOW TO:
CONNECT THE POWER SUPPLY TO THE CAR.
CONNECT THE SPEAKER WIRES TO THE CAR.
i guess i will use this month maximum pc on how to hook up the touch screen since they have it in their dream machine design...if you guys have more info on how to hook up touch screen i would apreciate them...
for keyboard and mouse i am going wireless and the smaller the better....
i am still in the planning stages so i will have more questions...but right now i am just worried about the power supply and audio set up
thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:25 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Best thing for your power will be an inverter which you can aquire from walmart or radio shack. The real issue will be when you shut your car off and you want the computer to shut off first. For that i would get a small UPS and plug that into the inverter then pluge the computer into that. As far as the wiring, run it along the side under the plastic peices and make sure you have some heatshrink around the bundle. believe it or not the wiring is easy. just lay it out before you do it so you know how much you will need and where you want it. If you want to wire the compu. audio into your car there is a way but i would need to know what you have for a head unit. Stock or after market? If after martket what is it? Good luck on your project!! :D

Post subject: Re: my pc case will be my car
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:00 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

[quote="teamwork1999"][/quote]

Why the trunk?

That could be a problem.

I suppose if its a touch screen only its not too bad - but you have to run wires all over the place. Whats do you want to do with it?

You do realize its illeagle to have a DVD player in view of the driver that can work while the car is running (at least in some states).

Is there no room under the seat or why can't you use the glove box?

Really, need to know what you want to use it for - then it would be easier to help more.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:55 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I have always thought of doing this project, but never did. I never even got into researching it. I am curious as to how well this works for you when you get it going, so keep some detailed logs and pics to share. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:28 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

IamDeMan wrote:
I have always thought of doing this project, but never did. I never even got into researching it. I am curious as to how well this works for you when you get it going, so keep some detailed logs and pics to share. :)

I second the detailed logs and pic thing.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:42 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

ok guys i'll keep you posted maybe i'll built a small webpage with just pictures and a log so people can follow the work...the reason i am building in the trunk is because my car glove box is too small and i have heated sit so there is no much room underneath the sit....ok i have to go to sleep i'll keep you guys posted. and yes as far as i know in ny state having a screen turned on while drivining is illegal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:47 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

The only problem is see would be overheating. I dont know where u live but if u live in florida the trunk might be the best place to put it. I have notice that the trunk doesnt get as hot as the interior and the whole system would have more room to breathe. Anyways, good luck with it. Post tons of pictures so we can see your progress and hopefully learn from ur mistakes. :wink: j/k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i have pretty much the same plan, just have lacked the funds to even start the project. wouldnt really be too hard of a project tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:27 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Instead of the trunk, how about under the passenger seat? I've thought of doing the same thing, and have found that all of the Antec SFF cases fit perfectly under there.

Depending on what you want to do, you don't need top end stuff and can get away with smaller items (like a little R9200SE-T) and stuff it all in a really small case. This placement cuts down on the length or wiring and puts the PC in a climate controlled environment.

For power, you're going to need to worry about clean power and amperage. An inverter is a great idea and I've carried one around for a while now. I've ran dremels, laptops, drills, and small TV's off 'em. Mine is a 600W Sun unit with two AC outlets. You could hard wire this to a switched set on the fuse box (one that goes on and off with the accesories so it turns off when you turn off the key). This one is a bit large, but you can get smaller ones that could be stashed under the consol or under the dash. A relay and the blue amp signal wire is another option if you want anything to turn on or off with your head unit.

As for wiring the PC to the speakers, I'd get an aux input device for your head unit and use the soundcard/onboard sound minijacks. Some headunits still have a minijack input on the front for things like minidisc or portable CD players. Others have an I/O box you can add on to the back wiring to make an Aux out. Many of these boxes use RCA plugs, so you'd just need an adapter to mate it to the sound system.

For input, you say you'll use a keyboard and mouse. I say you won't need them once you get the thing running from touch screen. Windows XP has a built-in keyboard under the accessibility tab (may need to add this in "add programs"). It's a bit clunky, but it beats draggin around a keyboard. And again, you may not need it once the touchscreen is up. Same with the mouse. Keep 'em with you just for emergencies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:34 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

THANX CHUMLY..I'll see about that antec case..take some mesurements and see if it fits...like i said i have heated seat so there is no much space underneath the passenger sits....but if it's small anough maybe i can ge away...i'll also look into the wiring...llike i said that is my major concern....but you gave me a few good ideas....yes i know xp has a built in keyboard it's clumsy i was thinking of maybe attachi the keyboad on the glove box so that it can be closed and opened as needed like an airplane tray...the door of the glove box would be the tray and the keyboard would be attached on the "tray".....i'll keep you guys posted...ohh by the way anybody uses their video card to pick up regular tv stations....which one do you guys use....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:37 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

A/C cooling 8). Just a matter of rerouting or tapping into A/C system. Could get messy/expensive/cold to drive in the winter though!
The project sounds fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:09 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

teamwork1999 wrote:
anybody uses their video card to pick up regular tv stations....which one do you guys use....

Newegg has a bunch of these in their video add-on section ranging from $35-$200. I'd imagine you could get away with a cheap (PHILIPS or ATI chipped) card and just plug an antenna onto it and go. Remember, if this is for a car, the sheetmetal body makes a good radio shield. It may get bad reception if the antenna is in the car.

And you're welcome! Keep the questions comming if you need any help or ideas to storm on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:22 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

dont get a super cheap card, quality goes up with price (to a point)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:55 am 
Team Member
Team Member

with this idea, does anybody know a way to boost a Wi-Fi signal so that u could get decent range while parked in a parking lot of a Starbucks or something? I dunno if it would be possible to use the existing antenna or if u would have to make your own or if it would maybe be possible to turn a luggage rack into an antenna. i would like to have a wi-fi card in the car so that i could connect at home and transfer new files to the in-car PC without having to use CD-Rs/DVD-Rs.

maybe this could be another idea for yours teamwork, if u havent thought of it already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:23 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

i'm not an auto mechanic but i'm sure you can wire it up somehow to connect it to your car antenna. where i work in the winter in a shack about 150 yards away from the main building (ski lodge) we have these sweet antennas we use to beam G across to us. its a directional antenna but it should work if you point it at the starbucks. the brand is buffalo, not sure about the model

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

sorry i haven't replied back sooner but i am buying the equipment i have fund most of the equipment...but i am stuck with the psu.....guess what i am going with a 90w or 120w power supply...yes that small...my mobo will only hold a 40-80gb 2.5"hard drive and a dvd-rom one 256-512 dimm and will only have one pci slot that i am going to use for the tv tuner...check out this link to see the mobo that i am buying

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-E-M1GNE&show=p

for the case i am making custum made..i have found a site that helps me with that..right now i am more concerned about the psu and how to attach it..i got some great article that i am studying you can check this link to get an idea of where i am getting my ideas :-)

http://www.epiacenter.com/

ok got to go out
thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:18 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Slightly off topic, but save yourself $10+ by getting that mobo here:

$145 Shipped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

One4yu2c wrote:
Slightly off topic, but save yourself $10+ by getting that mobo here:

$145 Shipped

thanx i will buy the mobo from there and i will probably buy the 512 mb memory from there too. great prices and free shipping can't beat that!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:56 pm 

here's a great site for exactly what you want to do. www.mp3car.com

Some other suggestions. You should probably use a laptop hard drive because these are designed to take the bumps of being carried around. Not that a PC one won't work and you could rig up a suspension system for it, but it's just easier to buy one of those ready made enclosures that turns a laptop one into a usb one.

optical drives will also be prone to shock, but that won't really be a problem if you're not moving when playing games, as you should be, and you can just use the optical drive to load in info when you're stopped.

they also make powersupplies that run off of of car juice, you just wire them into your car. Cheap power inverters will give you all kinds of dirty power, in the end it's cheaper and safer for the computer to just buy one of these power supplies.

Try not to use windows or you'll get that annoying scan or notice that windows wasn't shut down properly everytime you turn off the car, unless you want to sit there everytime and wait for windows to shut down before you leave your car. Linux is a much better solution for cars because you don't have to worry about shutting down. If you're not comfortable with linux though go ahead and use windows, but it's always a good idea to learn new things, might as well start with linux.

get a good sound card and a stereo deck that has inputs, either digital or analog or both and hook those up, another solution to the audio part would be to jack straight into an amp if you have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

amc360 wrote:
here's a great site for exactly what you want to do. www.mp3car.com

Some other suggestions. You should probably use a laptop hard drive because these are designed to take the bumps of being carried around. Not that a PC one won't work and you could rig up a suspension system for it, but it's just easier to buy one of those ready made enclosures that turns a laptop one into a usb one.

optical drives will also be prone to shock, but that won't really be a problem if you're not moving when playing games, as you should be, and you can just use the optical drive to load in info when you're stopped.

they also make powersupplies that run off of of car juice, you just wire them into your car. Cheap power inverters will give you all kinds of dirty power, in the end it's cheaper and safer for the computer to just buy one of these power supplies.

Try not to use windows or you'll get that annoying scan or notice that windows wasn't shut down properly everytime you turn off the car, unless you want to sit there everytime and wait for windows to shut down before you leave your car. Linux is a much better solution for cars because you don't have to worry about shutting down. If you're not comfortable with linux though go ahead and use windows, but it's always a good idea to learn new things, might as well start with linux.

get a good sound card and a stereo deck that has inputs, either digital or analog or both and hook those up, another solution to the audio part would be to jack straight into an amp if you have one.

thanx i knew about this site..infact i bought my psu from there....i pretty much did what you said to do xcept for the hard drive and the os....you see i have a budget and i opted to use a regular 80 segate ide hard drive..i am not too happy about it because like you said, laptop hard drive s are designed to be carried around and to sustains some bumbs alond the way...also i wanted a 5200 rpm hard drive..but they seem impossible to find ....anyway if i see that windows will become a pain in the ass when i shut down..i will switch to linux....i haven't posted pictures of my project because i am still working on it..maybe this weekend i'll post some..hey does anybody know where i can get a lilliput 7" touch screen for a good price?