Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Finished my latest case.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:55 pm 

Ello.
Killa forums.

I was just skimming my last mag and noticed MPC had there own forums.. who would have guessed.

Well, I wanted the smallest - most light weight - fastest gaming rig I could make. For obvious reasons.

This was my 1st time trying to paint something - so..

http://www.ramsinks.com/frag0ps.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:29 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Welcome to the forums Burke!

Great job on the case. I like the 120mm intake fan. Paint job looks pretty good in the pics except around the cd-rom drive. For your first try I'd say you did a pretty good job.

Post subject: Re: Finished my latest case.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:26 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Burke wrote:
Ello.
Killa forums.

I was just skimming my last mag and noticed MPC had there own forums.. who would have guessed.

Well, I wanted the smallest - most light weight - fastest gaming rig I could make. For obvious reasons.

This was my 1st time trying to paint something - so..

http://www.ramsinks.com/frag0ps.aspx

I will check it out a bit more in a week or so - Welcome to the MPC Forums :)

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

nice way to make a regular POS into something presentable to the world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

damn, that's sweet, good job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:25 am 

you did a really nice job. as far as the paint job goes, i think you did good on it, but i also think you got the wrong paint. i personally would have looked for a flat black or an outdoor paint of sorts, possibly applying a case sticker.

as far as the system itself though, i'm a bit confused...

-Crucial PC2700 RAM (2x256) 333FSB.
-AMD XP2500 - Overclocked to 2.14Ghz
-NVIDIA eVGA 6800GT 256MB RAM DDR3. @ 380 x 1.10Ghz

not sure what that ram is capable of, but i'm sure if you'd relax the timings a little bit it could probably get a full 200x11 @ 2.2ghz xp3200 overclock. mine hits it really easily. can go over, but things go to hell from there. i actually sold my processor and am waiting to get my mobile xp2600 with a thermalright sp-97 so i can overclock to 250x10 @ 2.5ghz :D.

the video card, are you sure you can't get it to run a bit faster than that stable? most 6800gt's will get you 400/1150 atleast... most of them even higher than that. my friend's 6800gt gets 423/1170, a nice improvment over ultra speeds o_0.

it will run hot of course, but they run stable hot, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. if you're having the problem where it hangs for a moment then resumes operation you may need to try disabling fastwrites (though it's reccomended to have them on). if you get the problem where it's running fine then stops for a good 10 seconds, then continues fine... you're having thermal throttling problems. in that case, you should find a way to increase the cooling, maybe an upgraded vga cooler by zalman or something, they can be had for pretty cheap.

not sure what you value as far as overclocking, definitely an excellent system you've got there. i know personally i'd like to squeeze more mhz out of it if i were you, but then again you're talking to the guy who just fried a memory channel because of trying to overclock too high setting the vdimm voltage to 3.3v (2.6 default), lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:34 am 

Nice work on the case, the 120mm fan kicks.

try to stealth your drives if you can.

The paint job isnt that bad either nice and shinny ooooh shinny. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:32 am 

Thanks guys.

Ya, the paint looks ok in person. It's easier to see the turbine intake. The Rhestat is what im lov'n - controlling both intake and exhaust on the same turn.

The GT has ASV on the GPU. FR is enabled and really anything above this will give me slight issues. My who goal in this build was to be able to play doom III at max everything. In which I'm doing,

I can look at my mem timings when I get home, I cannot remember where there set.

Thanks a lot guys.
I think next time ill take it all apart and bring the parts down to a good paint shop. I followed Linear's guid.. he is the man.. but he has done it b4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:47 am 

don't get me wrong, you did a good job... just saying i think glossy paint can either make a perfect case emphasis its perfect form, or it can emphasis the imperfections should there be any. it's safer to get a flat black, heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:15 pm 

DAMN, thats what first comes to mind. dont get yourself down because it didnt turn out the way you wanted. id buy that case from you for one of my rigs.....keep up the work, its a sweet case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:54 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

wow that is one nice mod. looks very professional.

one thing though. i think you should have made it two toned. making it all black seems really boring. but if you were going for a theme then i think you hit it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:03 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Burke wrote:
I think next time ill take it all apart and bring the parts down to a good paint shop. I followed Linear's guid.. he is the man.. but he has done it b4.
Hey, good job on everything! The thing turned out great IMO...you did say this was your first, right? Can't beat that!

I did a quick look at that guide, and I'm not too happy with the way his rattle can turned out. You can get rattlecan paint jobs much smoother than what he's showing. In the event you try again, try out some R/C or Model paint like Pactra with a clear coat over it all. It's pretty expensive for a little can, but it's just better IMO. I've sprayed many times on my R/C trucks and recently gave it a try on an old PC that was just looking aged (it was beige ;) ). It wasn't very tough as everything seemed to scratch it, so I put some rattlecan clear over it and it turned out pretty good. That's if you want shiny though...I didn't, so I glazed it over again with the clear, but not one uniform coat...a bunch of light ones instead and it came out kind of an eggshell (not gloss, but not flat). I'll post pictures to give an idea what you can expect from the model paint soon...

...Because my paint job on my Stacker is ready!!!! I'll be uploading the pics from my camera and I'll take some of the old case while I'm at it. Keep a look out in this same area for details. I'm so stoked on how it's turning out!

Teaser:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

THE_MC wrote:

Great job on the case. I like the 120mm intake fan. Paint job looks pretty good in the pics except around the cd-rom drive. For your first try I'd say you did a pretty good job.

I read some where that a 4 years old Chinese can paint better than that on 2nd try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:29 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Juan Mendez wrote:
THE_MC wrote:

I read some where that a 4 years old Chinese can paint better than that on 2nd try.
Let's see yours bud...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:01 pm 

Hey thanks.

My firts time painting, yes. My first time mod'd PC was in the New York Times.

:D

Ya, lin's came out really good, on the 2nd page you can see it.. But I bet it would be better with some modle paint. Yours is look'n sweet so far.. i wanna c more now.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:36 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

hey Burke,

The case is actually tight. What paint product did you use? I am looking at a Blad or Raid case online to house my custom PC and the red color seems wack. All other colors are pretty hot, but the red one look more like orange. Anyway, I will need to hand paint any drive I buy that cost less in beige color.

By the way, do you want to paint my rims for me? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:21 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

i did the 120mm fan intake on the front of my rig...it works nicely. Those things blow hell of a lot of air for running at 2500 rpm and not sounding like an apache gunship.