Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:39 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Thanks Crazybillybob.

Your mod looks great, keep up the good work.

***EDIT***

To join I need R2's IP address, right? If so PM me with the address. Sorry for being a noob, but this will be the first time I played a game online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:48 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nuke,
You don't need the IP. Setup a connection (in mechwarrior) for the "ZONE" then connect. You should get a list of servers that are on line (normaly 3-8), R2 is Serving "Redneck Games" so select that name (single click on it) and then click join. I'm trying to get some of the guys that I LAN with to get on and play some mech this weekend so Hope fully I'll be on when you jump in.
If you want to sent me a message Via Xfire I'm allways got it up (same name as here) and I'll jump in and we can go toe to toe!

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:56 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Crazybillybob wrote:
Nuke,
You don't need the IP. Setup a connection (in mechwarrior) for the "ZONE" then connect. You should get a list of servers that are on line (normaly 3-8), R2 is Serving "Redneck Games" so select that name (single click on it) and then click join. I'm trying to get some of the guys that I LAN with to get on and play some mech this weekend so Hope fully I'll be on when you jump in.
If you want to sent me a message Via Xfire I'm allways got it up (same name as here) and I'll jump in and we can go toe to toe!

CrazyBillyBob
Thanks, I can't join now though my graphic card died last night. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Don't worry Nuke, R2 will still be up when you get that Graphics ard fixed.

I also found out that the Zone is dead (or dieing) but the MecTek guys have fixed that too. You'll need to go to this website and follow the directions (takes like 5min). http://www.mektek.net/joomla/index.php? ... iew&id=988

See you on the battleField!

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:47 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Crazy- My boy and I watched your dancing R2 videos the other night and while he doesn't appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making R2, he thinks you have "the coolest" computer he's ever seen. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:48 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

DentedCan wrote:
Crazy- My boy and I watched your dancing R2 videos the other night and while he doesn't appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making R2, he thinks you have "the coolest" computer he's ever seen. :D

Thank you sir!!!
Well keep watching cause it's going to get cooler! That I can Promise. :P
He's like most people think it's cool but pretty sure I'm nutz for building it! The Other half ask me where I bought him from :)

If your in north east Ohio R2 and I will be @ The Promised L.A.N
Nov. 3&4, 2006

Bring your Rig and Enjoy!!!

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:20 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

It's been awhile since I've updated everyone on my progress. I have been working more on R2 then will be in this update (gotta get some more pics), but work has been getting in my way of getting a post up (this Fiscal year can't end fast enough!).

In the last installment you saw the bearing spacer plate laid out on square stock. This time you'll see how I get that square perfectly round.

First I cut out a rough circle with the scroll saw (for the 1/4" piece) and the jig saw (for the 3/4" piece). The layout circle was a guide and I tried to leave between 1/8" and 1/4" of space between the cut and the layout line. The out come looks like this.

I created a jig for my router table that allows you to make a perfect circle. It's a piece of 1/4" plywood bolted to the router table with a screw in it, real high tech stuff :) By adjusting the distance between the edge of the router bit and the screw I can adjust the diameter of the circle. To mount the wood to the jig I drilled a 1/8" hole in the center of the board. then use the jig screw to hole the board to the jig. Here's the thin board mounted to the router table.

Just turn the router on and spin the board around, and out come this.

Now I just have to mount the bearing to it and center the whole thing on R2's body....more to come on this.

While I was working on the spacer I figured it was time to take care of those detail pieces that had the blistered paint on them.

After the paint was removed the booster cover got another coat of primer
This is just the first of many!

It's kind of good that the paint on the utility arm bubbled because I didn't like how rough parts of it looked once the paint dried (the area's that didn't bubble) so I started reglazing it, hoping that it will help make the finish smoother this time.

Being that the highs up here are only 50F it's going to take a few days for this stuff to dry so I'll get back to it later. I don't want any cracks or such in them.

It's a lite update for being quite so long but I've been working on some more body details and I'm going to have to adjust some of the drive components so there's more to come real soon (seeing that I've gotta have my little buddy up and running in just over a week for a LAN party)
:)

Your humble hillbilly astromech tech,
CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:49 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

All I can say is wow! Very nice work. I can't wait to see it completed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well had a bit of a set back....The Mother board died :( Still under waranty so I'm waiting on a replacemet right now. I'm also working up the charge circuit for the "UPS" part of this. Once this is done "ll be able to run the PC from either the wall (via a power pack) or off the on board batteries ( R2 can Rome and still Server up a great game!!!!). So I've not got allot of Photo worthy progress to show (crumpled seets of paper and deleted cad file don't look as good as one would think). Their calling for up to 15" of snow the next few days, so I may have bit of free time on my hands If that's tha case I've got a few details to work on (like neating up some of the pannels that open). Can't paint it will be to cold, but fab I can!!!

Thanks for the patient!!!!
CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:46 pm 
Stewie Federation (2 Million)
Stewie Federation (2 Million)

all hail warranty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:34 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

StimpE wrote:
all hail warranty

Amazingly this onr I didn't void :) I think it's a first!!

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:01 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

So By now your all thinking that I've give up on R2...NOPE Just a little busy.
The part I've been working on has been kicking my butt. The shape has been difficult to covert from 2d Drawing (think a picture with dimensions) into a flat-pack (a drawing that’s used when your going to form everything out of a sheet of flat metal) It's got an angled cut on a curve that took me abit to work out. In this ref pic here there's a cylinder in the way but you get the Idea.
With everything laid out
The Hard part is done Now I just cut each peice out
Then Clamp it up for Brazing, I'm Brazing instead of welding because tese parts are not structural and it's easier to do on this thin sheet metal (22ga).

With It all brazed up and a light bit of sanding (to get all the slag off), The First one is done! One more to go

I only built one at first to make sure my math and drawings were right :) now that this one worked out I'll go ahead and finish the second one (already have it cut out).

The mother board should be back soon, Once that's back I think I'm going to redesign the mother board tray, as I think that it flexed to much and that's what casued the failure.... So if anyone has any new Ideas please let me know!

Well back to the shop!

CrazyBillybob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:47 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

When I first started checking out the Rigs of the Month in Maximum PC, I thought, it'd be cool if I could build an R2-D2. I'm glad I never did though. The sheer time and energy you've devoted to this is mind boggling. Awesome, awesome job so far!!

AS to your motherboard tray problem, I can only offer this: "Use the Force!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks for the Idea Newbie....I think I'll use the force of Electrons and weld up some kind of box around the motherboard.

As for making your own R2..... Go for it, for me it's all about the journey I've learned so much from this project and It's given me a ton of Ideas for the next project. One of the things I like the most is checking out other peoples builds. You could always build an R6, R4, R5, or a R7.... Gonks are cool too.

Never give up, Never surrender!!!

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

In this Installment of this old Droid we're showing you how discount LED Christmas lights can be used to Pretty up your Droid. :)

A long while ago you all saw me Drill an absurd number of 3mm holes (108) in some 1/8" aluminum.

Well I dug it back out for use till a new custom Display can be built (that Scrolls Messages like the front).
Here's the items I have to work with
The LED Christmas lights were on Clearance ($3ea) at Walgreens, but I had to have a Friend ship them in from Florida, Seems the Walgreens here in the North didn’t carry them at all this year. Each set has 20 LEDs strung together, so I'll be using 6 sets (the extra will be bundled up and hidden. They will be driven by a "Pic Flasher" from Carl's electronics. The LED Strings run on 4 AA's (6V) the Flasher runs on 9V so I'll just switch out the Resisters that come with the kit for some 390 ohm ones, which will keep the LED's from burning up when run on 9V.

After several hours of random insertion and hot glue you get to this (not quite done but getting there) There's like 3hours of watching movies and burning my fingers in there pwned Not to everyone, Hot glue is hot, and sticky it stays moltten for awhile, and hurts the whole time :) so don't get it on you.

After Testing all the LED strings I tidy up a bit, some black tape, some final connections to the Pic Flasher we're ready to go.

Nope, Some idiot wired all the LED strands backwards to the Pic Flasher... :( It's so Hard to get good help these days!)
By the time I figured that out It was too late in the night to pull all the wires out of the Flasher and fix it.
So Next Time on this Old Droid (tonight) I'll get it rewired, and film the lights running (video forth coming).

Thanks for Tuning in to This Old Droid.
Up next DYI Hyperdrives

CrazyBillyBob

This is my first step into the Dome Electronics, I'm hoping that it will kick me in the butt and I'll get the rest pumped out soon ( with the holidays, and my wife not in school for the last 2 months. my motivation has been lacking, hopefully this will change now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:53 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've gotten the wiring sorted out on the Rear Logic display.

The Blinking pattern is ok, Not sure what I was hoping for, but it will do!

Here's a Quick link to a Video of the display in action. (it's 36Mb so modems beware! and you'll need a MOV player like QuickTime to view it).

Now that the display is complete I'm moving on to the next system....
Sound :) I'm starting out with this nice Chinese made I-Fraud I-shuffle Mp3 player.

I'm toying with the Idea of making it radio controlled...How by hacking a cheap Zip-Zap Knock off (that I got last year @ MML for being on a loosing team in Ubisoft's GRAW Tourney....Clancy Section did have it's benefits)
I've gotta do some testing on both first. If you've got any Ideas please share them with me (and the rest of the class :) )

Next time the Dissection of the I-shuffle (and maybe the car)

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:49 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

This is like one of those never ending mods where the end result is you treating your R2 like a family pet. lol :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nope, This mod will end. And you should really see how we treat the family pets...(remember my wife is a Vet...the VMD kind not the war hero kind :) )

This mod started out as I'll make it look like R2 and has transmorfed into I want it to be a dead ringer for R2...So it's taken a little longer then planed, and Life seems to happen in between my building...but that's cool.

R2 will be completed this spring... not a worry.. I've already started thinking about my next mod / project.

CrazyBillyBob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:49 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Great work!

You'll have to post a video of R2 moving and making noise once you're done.

I wish I had the time and money to do something like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:50 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Satchboy wrote:
Great work!

You'll have to post a video of R2 moving and making noise once you're done.

I wish I had the time and money to do something like this.

Bob (or Billy),

If you do this, post it in a new thread and I'll replce one of the current stickies with it

Manta

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next