Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is a PATA to SATA conversion on an old laptop possible?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Is it possible to convert an old PATA HHD connector on a laptop to accept a SATA drive? I am asking this because I want to put a SSD in my old Dell inspiron 9200 laptop. I'd also like to know if there are any other mods I might attempt on this old but still "kicking strongly" laptop.

Bruce

Post subject: Re: Is a PATA to SATA conversion on an old laptop possible?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Even though there are converters, it won't work because there's not enough room to fit anything more than the hard drive.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:53 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

There have been a couple of brief waves of IDE (PATA) SSDs including one less than two years ago. May still be able to find them "new" on a shelf. (link guess so!) While I would think it would make a big improvement especially if your laptop is hopefully maxed at 2Gb and doing virtual memory swaps. Quieter, cooler and longer battery life too. It is still putting money into an very old laptop.

Be warned there may be a proprietary interface adapter on the old drive that needs be removed and slid onto the new drive.

Dell TS I9200

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:53 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

FascistNation wrote:
There have been a couple of brief waves of IDE (PATA) SSDs including one less than two years ago. May still be able to find them "new" on a shelf. (link guess so!) While I would think it would make a big improvement especially if your laptop is hopefully maxed at 2Gb and doing virtual memory swaps. Quieter, cooler and longer battery life too. It is still putting money into an very old laptop.

Be warned there may be a proprietary interface adapter on the old drive that needs be removed and slid onto the new drive.

Dell TS I9200

Oh wow, I had no idea they had SSD's with a PATA interface. These may be something I will look into in a few months. I know it's an old laptop but it still runs great, despite the ESD that shorted out my USB ports. I can get a new MB for only $20! I wish there was a way to upgrade the video card for it but apparently I purchased it with the best video card available for it. I already knew about the HDD adapter in the laptop as I've been through this thing quite a few times over the years. What gets me is that after all these years this thing doesn't seem to overheat at all...that is unless I close the lid with the screen still active, then it gets hot.
I have a wish list on Amazon that has all the upgraded parts I want along with the highest capacity HDD for it at 160gb (I have an 80gb) that costs $92. There is also a blu ray drive available that will fit and work fine in the 9200. I can also upgrade to the best cpu for that laptop for only $33 with a 2.1 ghz pentium M (I have the 1.8 ghz)
I wonder is it possible to upgrade the wifi receiver/transmitter....

Most of the upgrades or replacements are inexpensive with the HDD being the most expensive next to the SSD's, but they are so tempting....lol.

Bruce