Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: outside-the-case cable management?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:13 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I know everyone knows about tucking cables away inside the case but what about that bundle laying outside. Power plugs, video cables, I/O devices, ethernet, etc. I got a terrible mess behind my desk. What's a good way to tackle it. Make it nice and tidy? Anyone got pics?

Post subject: Re: outside-the-case cable management?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:56 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Things I did:
  • I use those cable tube shrouds you can cut down to size.
  • I used the USB port on the keyboard for the mouse and wrapped up the mouse cable, that way only the keyboard cable needs to go to the computer.
  • Keyboard, monitor power, DP cable, and monitor's USB hub cable run through the same tube. This goes all the way back behind the computer, then snakes underneath it and out. This also forces the tower to have some breathing room since the video card intakes from the side.
  • Speaker cables and related go through another shroud
  • Everything that needs to go to the ground goes down on one side.
  • Rear speaker cables just hug the corner of the floor and wall to their destination.

Spoiler: show
Entire setup

Cables to PC go out from behind here (I would've made them go under, but I'm waiting on a cooler RMA at the moment)

Everything goes into two cable tubes, making it easier to route and adds a clean look. I tried to get everything to go into one end, but sometimes that's not really possible.

Behind the sub where all the speaker wires connect into. This is where cable wrapping comes in handy. It may look like a mess, but it's actually easy to get out a cable that you need from there.

Obviously since not everyone has a setup similar to mine, I can offer some general tips from what I learned here.
  • Simplify, simplify, simplify! The less cables you have, the less you'll need to route. And it doesn't have to be less cables entirely. For instance, I only have four cables in one of the tubes, it could've been five, but I found a way to reduce it.
  • Plan out layouts and try to keep cables together as much as possible.
  • Cable tube shrouds or similar are your best friend
  • Everything should drop off at one side, so choose the placement of everything wisely.
  • Properly wrap up cables (this unfortunately, takes some time to master and toy with) and use velcro straps to keep them that way if the cable's entire length will not be used.