Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: intake ventilation and noise
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:46 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Hi,
I noticed that special intake holes on the front panel like spaced bars make more sound that if it was just a plain circle opening. I think it has to do with adding any obstruction to the air flow. Any modders have experience with this?

I'm making a front panel from a piece of polycarbonate plastic and I need an opening in front of the 120mm fan. I was thinking of just cutting out a circle and putting a fan guard so I don't have to deal with noise.

Post subject: Re: intake ventilation and noise
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:19 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

You're right about the obstructions to the air flow causing more noise. Air gets compressed when it goes around sharp edges, which makes more turbulence and the turbulence makes more noise. More edges means more noise.

You've got the right idea. Make one big hole and put a chrome wire fan guard over it.

One big hole only has two edges (top and bottom) so it makes the least amount of noise. If you can round off the top and bottom edges of the hole and polish the inside of the hole then that would be ideal. Removing the sharp edges removes more noise.

If you can find a fan guard with the fewest number of wires then there's fewer obstructions - also less noise.

A fan with a low dB rating also helps. I'm partial to AeroCool fans. I use them in my case and they're very quiet. They're more expensive than other fans, but have high air flow and they're very quiet. Aerocool Shark 120mm Black Edition

My personal experience with airflow, noise, fans, and holes: DM 2004 case needs way more airflow -- In this case (pun intended) I got around the front fan turbulence by creating a lot of smaller rounded edge holes that had an overall surface area greater than what the fan needed to stay silent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:30 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

In my present no-name case, I completely cut out the perforations for the front and rear fans with a Dremel. Not only is the air noise far less, but as more air moves through the case, CPU temps are ±3°c lower than with the perforations in place.

I've got a new SilverStone PS10 on the way, and I'll be installing some 120mm Noctua fans. As soon as the warranty is over (1 year), I'm breaking out the Dremel and completely cutting out the perf grilles.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:55 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_ ... wh_chessis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:35 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

OvenMaster wrote:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=en&tid=wh_chessis

Good link. It nicely explains what I said.

It would be nice if all case manufacturers designed their cases for good air flow and stop putting doors or grills on the front of the case that severely restrict the airflow of the front fan(s). Even Silverstone is guilty of that in some cases. ( Pun intended ;) )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:16 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Rooke wrote:
OvenMaster wrote:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=en&tid=wh_chessis

Good link. It nicely explains what I said.

It would be nice if all case manufacturers designed their cases for good air flow and stop putting doors or grills on the front of the case that severely restrict the airflow of the front fan(s). Even Silverstone is guilty of that in some cases. ( Pun intended ;) )

And that's why I've decided to go ahead and Dremel out the perf grilles on my new SS case now before I put it all together rather than wait til the warranty's over and have to disassemble and reassemble everything. Except for the steel shell, the only parts that might need repair or replacement are switches, LEDs or jacks that I can get at RatShack or Digi-Key for a few bucks, instead of paying God knows how much to ship the case to SilverStone for a warranty claim.